AeroflyFS2 freeware scenery list

• Hi,

the growing number of freeware sceneries available, mostly at https://flight-sim.org/, but also in other places, makes it more and more difficult to keep trace of them. After all, there are real gems which are in danger of being overlooked. As a result, I decided to make a list of Freeware Sceneries for AeroflyFS2. This was inspired by the famous FSX/P3D freeeware list by Robert-Jan Oosterloo. I tried to keep it as simple as possible, no fancy applets or flash, just information.

Ideas for improvement are certainly welcome. Here are a few initial Q/As.

Q: Will there be a parallel list of payware sceneries (like Robert-Jan Oosterloo maintains)?

A: I thought about that, and if the freeware list finds positive resonance, I might add one.

Q: Will this list be regularly updated?

A: I usually update my sites on Sunday evenings and will include the list.

Q: Will a later version include preview pictures, like the FSX/P3D list does?

A: Probably not. Contrary to FSX/P3D freeware packages which usually include a few preview pictures, most of the AeroflyFS2 packages don't and I lack time to make and process a multitude of screenshots myself.

Q: Will there be lists for planes/repaints and/or tools?

A: Unlikely. I am much more experienced in the field of scenery than planes and prefer to keep the update workload manageable instead of providing a host of lists which I don't find the resources to maintain later.

Finally, I would like thank the makers of the sceneries included. It's amazing how much is already available - and some more fascinating projects are on the way. Another thanks goes to Higgy for providing and maintaining that huge archive unter https://flight-sim.org/.

Kind regards, Michael

Intel i7-6700K 4.0 GHz / Asus MAXIMUS VIII RANGER / Kingston 32 GB DDR4 / Samsung SSD M.2 500 GB + Samsung SSD 1 TB + Intel SSD 500 GB (AeroflyFS2) + WD HD 6 TB / EVGA GTX 1080Ti 11 GB / LG 34UM95 3440 x 1440 / HP Reverb / Win 10/64

• Just as a heads up, I have two similar threads (though of aircraft, mainly), one at Avsim and one at Orbx

Devons rig

Intel Core i5-13600K - Core i5 13th Gen 14-Core (6P+8E) @ 5.5Ghz / G.SKILL Trident Z5 RGB Series 32GB RAM DDR5 6000 / GIGABYTE GeForce RTX 4070Ti GAMING OC 12G / Sound Blaster Z / Oculus Quest 2 VR Headset / Klipsch® Promedia 2.1 Computer Speakers / ASUS ROG SWIFT PG279Q ‑ 27" IPS LED Monitor ‑ QHD / 6x Samsung SSD/NVME's various sizes / Windows 11 Pro 64-bit / GIGABYTE Z790 AORUS ELITE AX LGA 1700 ATX Motherboard DDR5

Edited once, last by HiFlyer (June 3, 2019 at 7:26 AM).

• A very good idea Michael, which I immediatly bookmarked.

One wish: could you add a new column for the author after the scenery column?

I think the authors reward this. It also helps to classify the source.

Cheers,

Thomas

Cheers, Thomas

Edited once, last by TomSimMuc (June 3, 2019 at 8:37 AM).

• By the way. I haven't followed GeoConvert for quite a while. What's its status now? Have the problems of white blocks and black borders been resolved now? I'd really like to start making ortho sceneries, with so many cultivations coming.

• Just as a heads up, I have two similar threads (though of aircraft, mainly), one at Avsim and one at Orbx

Probably, a thread and a list don't make each other redundant, as they just serve different purposes. Even more, if your threads are aircraft-specific they would be a pretty good fit to my list. Could you give links for those interested?

Thanks and kind regards, Michael

One wish: could you add a new column for the author after the scenery column?

I think the authors reward this. It also helps to classify the source.

Cheers,

Thomas

I thought about this, for the named reason, but rejected it initially. First, Robert-Jan's list doesn't have authors either, to keep it simple. An additional column could destroy the (mostly) one-entry-one-line structure on smaller screens. Next, contrary to FSX/P3D, most scenery packages come without a readme naming the author. Accordingly, I would have to provide the name on the forum where it was uploaded, in most cases flight-sim.org.

But it's certainly something to consider. What do others think?

Kind regards, Michael

Intel i7-6700K 4.0 GHz / Asus MAXIMUS VIII RANGER / Kingston 32 GB DDR4 / Samsung SSD M.2 500 GB + Samsung SSD 1 TB + Intel SSD 500 GB (AeroflyFS2) + WD HD 6 TB / EVGA GTX 1080Ti 11 GB / LG 34UM95 3440 x 1440 / HP Reverb / Win 10/64

• Salut,

le nombre croissant de décors de logiciels gratuits disponibles, principalement sur https://flight-sim.org/ , mais aussi ailleurs, rend de plus en plus difficile leur conservation. Après tout, il existe de véritables joyaux qui risquent d’être négligés. En conséquence, j'ai décidé de dresser une liste de scènes de gratuiciels pour AeroflyFS2 . Ceci a été inspiré par la célèbre liste de freeware FSX / P3D de Robert-Jan Oosterloo. J'ai essayé de le garder aussi simple que possible, sans applets ni flash, mais seulement des informations.

Les idées d'amélioration sont certainement les bienvenues.

Very appreciated your list!:thumbup: Congratulations and Thank you very much!:)

Regards, Tomfa

Best wishes 😉

Pascal

AFS2 / FS4 / MSFS / - Intel(R) Core i7 -12800HX 4.80 GHz - DDR5 4800MHz 32 Go - NVIDIA GeForce RTX™ 3070 Ti 8 GB GDDR6X - 2x 2 TB SSD M.2 2280 PCIe Gen4

• Great work Michael and i agree that this is much needed as i have lost track of what is out there. Maybe one day it could go on a map, FSCP style.

A map would be nice indeed, and I thought about it. Unfortunately a good interactive map goes goes beyond my skills as a hobby-only web-designer. There are a few possibilities to pursue the idea. (i) I could provide .kmz-file(s) myself which wouldn't be that hard and I could do it myself, as time permits (ii) Someone else may step in and provide a professional interactive map, perhaps I could co-operate in this case, if needed.

I would shift this idea a bit into the future just to get the list going and maintained, but we can certainly come back to it.

Kind regards, Michael

• An additional column could destroy the .. one-entry-one-line structure

Thank you Michael for your answer.

I agree with you that the entry should stay in one line, at all costs!

I think in flight-sim.org in 99% the author is identical with the uploader.

And even with a screenwidth of only 1000 px there still seems to be enough room.

But this is just my opinion.

Cheers, Thomas

• Great idea! Got it bookmarked!

Found two little typo's btw: 'Recent additions in read' should be 'Recent additions in red' and 'Here is a general guidline:' should be 'Here is a general guideline'. ;)

... which I just corrected. Thanks for making me aware of them.

Best regards, Michael

Thank you Michael for your answer.

I agree with you that the entry should stay in one line, at all costs!

I think in flight-sim.org in 99% the author is identical with the uploader.

And even with a screenwidth of only 1000 px there still seems to be enough room.

I think I am going to try to add authors and see how it actually works. Another idea which occured to me was collapsing the C-P-M-F-A fields into just one including entries C, P... etc. saving place as well, perhaps at the cost of clarity though.

Kind regards, Michael

• I think I am going to try to add authors and see how it actually works. Another idea which occured to me was collapsing the C-P-M-F-A fields into just one including entries C, P... etc. saving place as well, perhaps at the cost of clarity though.

Kind regards, Michael

I definitely would prefer not collapsing those fields! As it is now it is extremely easy to find for instance photoreal scenery: it was in fact the first thing I thought when I visited the site. ;) When all those fields are combined in one it would make it almost impossible to quickly find things you are looking for. Just my 2 cents. ;)

• Hi Michael,

good idea, go on with that stuff.

Question from a non FSX user:

How do you define the column Photoscenery versus Full scenery versus Airport?

These categories are not from FSX, rather I thought they would help with the AeroflyFS2 scenery system, but they're a bit diffuse indeed. Basically I used "Full" for "Photo" + "Cultivation", at least, maybe with additional POIs and airports included. Airports usually refer to those beyond just FSCloudPorts, i.e. including custom buildings and photo ground and occasionally some cultivation close by.

I am open for improvements here and notably for suggested corrections, it's very well possible I misplaced a few entries.

Kind regards, Michael

I definitely would prefer not collapsing those fields! As it is now it is extremely easy to find for instance photoreal scenery: it was in fact the first thing I thought when I visited the site. ;) When all those fields are combined in one it would make it almost impossible to quickly find things you are looking for. Just my 2 cents. ;)

I think you're right, that's why I rejected the idea already once ;).

Best regards, Michael

• Un séjour sans faille

Google translates: "A flawless stay":)

Thanks, Michael

I got quite a number of valuable suggestions and hints on mistakes here and via PM which I'll integrate during this week.

• I just published an updated version including authors, several corrections (thanks for pointing me to them here or via PM), and a bit of cleanup.

Have fun!

Kind regards, Michael