Aerofly FS2 and HP Reverb

• I just got my Reverb and wanted to give a bit of feedback, happy to say it worked first time and looks amazing. Those great framerates really help and it's a smooth and exceptionally sharp appearance. TE Netherlands looks super and you can see so much detail in the cockpit. Reverb+FS2=big win :thumbup:

i5-12600K/MSI RTX 3080/Win11/64Gb RAM/Asus Xonar DX+ Beyer DT990 pro headphones/LG 34" UM65 @2560x1080/Quest Pro/TM Warthog+VKB MkIV Rudder pedals

• I just got my Reverb and wanted to give a bit of feedback, happy to say it worked first time and looks amazing. Those great framerates really help and it's a smooth and exceptionally sharp appearance. TE Netherlands looks super and you can see so much detail in the cockpit. Reverb+FS2=big win :thumbup:

Brilliant - I'm very excited about the Reverb. I have so many questions:

• What were you using before?
    • How about smaller instruments on say the Baron B58 - even in my Odyssey I find a lot of the dials and readouts too blurry. Do you see step change improvement?
    • How about the sweet spot? Is there a limited area that feels sharp?
    • Is your IPD quite normal? Its software only IPD adjustment isn't it?
    • Are you able to run ultra everything in NLTE with your 2080? What steam supersample and FS2 render factor?
  • Hi John,

I'm looking forward to getting one of these, but do have one question, depending on what your previous headset was.

As the Reverb seems only suitable for seated gaming I'm wondering if it would be possible to keep my Rift set up and use that on the rare occasions I want to use touch controllers with standing games?

Oh and are you in the UK? If so, who did you order it from?

• Official Post

Can you state how the Reverb controllers work in Aerofly with VR Hands? Sensitivity, functionality, precision, control?

IPACS Development Team Member

I'm just a cook, I don't own the restaurant.
    On behalf of Torsten, Marc, and the rest of the IPACS team, we would all like to thank you for your continued support.

Regards,

Jeff

• Brilliant - I'm very excited about the Reverb. I have so many questions:

• What were you using before?
    • I have a CV1 since release, and there is also a Rift S on the desk that I'm struggling to get on with, hence the Reverb.
    • How about smaller instruments on say the Baron B58 - even in my Odyssey I find a lot of the dials and readouts too blurry. Do you see step change improvement?
    • Massive improvement on CV1, small improvement (less screen door mainly) compared to Rift S
    • How about the sweet spot? Is there a limited area that feels sharp?
    • For me, sweetspot is a clear improvement over the S. I found it almost impossible to maintain the S in the right position for both eyes at once, but the Reverb slips on much more comfortably and stays in place and just looks right straight away. I think a lot depends on how well you get on with the S. However the Reverb sweetspot is not big, in that the definition outside the centre area is noticeably softer with some chromatic aberration, almost like a fixed foveated effect.
    • Is your IPD quite normal? Its software only IPD adjustment isn't it?
    • My IPD is about 62, which I adjusted in software but just like the S I can't tell the slightest difference after adjusting it.
    • Are you able to run ultra everything in NLTE with your 2080? What steam supersample and FS2 render factor?
    • I'll have to go back and check exact settings, but I kept the same settings as the rift S and performance was fine

Edit: You can definitely run a rift and a reverb together on the same PC, I only have one display port though, so I have to unplug one HMD to plug in the other, but it's working fine.

Can you state how the Reverb controllers work in Aerofly with VR Hands? Sensitivity, functionality, precision, control?

I've never actually used the VR hands before as I prefer the tactile feedback, always used my HOTAS etc, but I'll give it a go.

All seems to function ok, I'm a bit clumsy with the VR hands due to lack of tactile feedback, but I could fly the R22 around ok. You can get a pointy finger ok with the WMR controller for pressing things, and it allows you to do grippy hands to grab controls.

i5-12600K/MSI RTX 3080/Win11/64Gb RAM/Asus Xonar DX+ Beyer DT990 pro headphones/LG 34" UM65 @2560x1080/Quest Pro/TM Warthog+VKB MkIV Rudder pedals

Edited once, last by John Hargreaves (June 8, 2019 at 8:30 PM).

• To all intents and purposes it's the same as the Rift CV1 and S. It's supposedly a few degrees wider but you can't tell.

I ran the Rift S and the Reverb back to back on the Manhattan scenery and the clarity, detail and tonal contrast was significantly better in the Reverb. AFS2 and Project CARS2 are so far the best experiences by a long way.

• Looks like it will be 2-3 weeks before it is back in stock in the UK, so any buyers remorse or further positive impressions over that time would be good to know John :)

Oh, and do you wear glasses by the way, and if so, how are you getting on with them in the headset? I note vroptician.com is planning lenses for the reverb but not out yet.

Edited once, last by Majick (June 10, 2019 at 10:47 PM).

• Looks like it will be 2-3 weeks before it is back in stock in the UK, so any buyers remorse or further positive impressions over that time would be good to know John :)

Oh, and do you wear glasses by the way, and if so, how are you getting on with them in the headset? I note vroptician.com is planning lenses for the reverb but not out yet.

Same here - more teasers please from the lucky Reverb owners!

What we all *really* want is Reverb resolution with 170 degrees FOV but that's 2 years away I'd say, so for now Reverb is probably the flight simmers choice. Let's have more feedback to validate that suggestion.

• I will have my Reverb tomorrow, and I will compare it to 5K+, which should be the only competitors for now.

I am pretty sure Reverb will tramp 5K+ in clarity.

At the end of this year Pimax 8KX will be out and it should be THE headset for flight sim.

• I will have my Reverb tomorrow, and I will compare it to 5K+, which should be the only competitors for now.

At the end of this year Pimax 8KX will be out and it should be THE headset for flight sim.

One of these to power it? https://www.nvidia.com/en-gb/data-center/dgx-1/

• Until we get even more insane graphics computing power we're stuck with a choice of FOV or clarity. I had always assumed that the wider FOV gave a better sense of immersion, but comments from Reverb owners seem to suggest that clarity also makes a huge difference. It will be interesting to hear from those who can compare the Reverb with the Pimax on which they think gives the better experience; very subjective I know.

Hi Frui,

Where did you manage to order the Reverb from?

• I had a night on driving sims last night and I'm getting fonder of the Reverb each time I use it. Project CARS 2 with sharpening enabled is fantastic, ACC works well but is a bit fuzzy on track, Live For Speed is fantastic (and about 15 years old!), AC works well but a bit overexposed/washed out. No luck with revive and Dirt Rally unfortunately.

I don't wear glasses so can't pass an opinion there sorry.

• External Content youtu.be
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

Devons rig

Intel Core i5-13600K - Core i5 13th Gen 14-Core (6P+8E) @ 5.5Ghz / G.SKILL Trident Z5 RGB Series 32GB RAM DDR5 6000 / GIGABYTE GeForce RTX 4070Ti GAMING OC 12G / Sound Blaster Z / Oculus Quest 2 VR Headset / Klipsch® Promedia 2.1 Computer Speakers / ASUS ROG SWIFT PG279Q ‑ 27" IPS LED Monitor ‑ QHD / 6x Samsung SSD/NVME's various sizes / Windows 11 Pro 64-bit / GIGABYTE Z790 AORUS ELITE AX LGA 1700 ATX Motherboard DDR5

• It will be interesting to see if anyone can run the Reverb on a less powerful GPU. I used to run my 1440 X 1440 WMR headset on a GTX 970, with AFS2 being one of the few games that ran smoothly. That being the case, I would expect reasonable performance from a 1080, or even a 1070 with the Reverb.