Yosemite texture quality

• Hi

Yesterday I too a ride from Mariposa into the Yosemite Valley. While comparing it to Grand Canyon and Horseshoe Bend, I mus say I am disappointed by the sharpnes and quality of the Yosemite area. Did I miss something or is the resolution really mediocre in that area?

X-Plane 12.x | DCS 2.5.7 | War Thunder | Aerofly FS4

Win11-x64 | Lenovo Legion T7 34LMZ5 | Intel i7-10700K @3.6GHz | Kingston FuryX RGB 32GB DDR4 PC3733 | 6TB SSD Samsung 850 Pro | 3TB M2 PCI 4x | Gigabyte RTX 3070 Ti Vision OC | TM Hotas Warthog | Saitek Combat Pedals | Reverb G2 V2 | Lenovo Legion Y25g-30 360hz

• Texture Pack Southwest USA is installed

I showing you the difference between my aeroscenery google and the default with the highres pack installed

For me a quite significant difference

Win11-x64 | Lenovo Legion T7 34LMZ5 | Intel i7-10700K @3.6GHz | Kingston FuryX RGB 32GB DDR4 PC3733 | 6TB SSD Samsung 850 Pro | 3TB M2 PCI 4x | Gigabyte RTX 3070 Ti Vision OC | TM Hotas Warthog | Saitek Combat Pedals | Reverb G2 V2 | Lenovo Legion Y25g-30 360hz

I showing you the difference between my aeroscenery google and the default with the highres pack installed

I've wondered often why no well known ortho-scenery companies have stepped in and made their offerings available for Aerofly yet. It seems like a no-brainer.

Devons rig

Intel Core i5-13600K - Core i5 13th Gen 14-Core (6P+8E) @ 5.5Ghz / G.SKILL Trident Z5 RGB Series 32GB RAM DDR5 6000 / GIGABYTE GeForce RTX 4070Ti GAMING OC 12G / Sound Blaster Z / Oculus Quest 2 VR Headset / Klipsch® Promedia 2.1 Computer Speakers / ASUS ROG SWIFT PG279Q ‑ 27" IPS LED Monitor ‑ QHD / 6x Samsung SSD/NVME's various sizes / Windows 11 Pro 64-bit / GIGABYTE Z790 AORUS ELITE AX LGA 1700 ATX Motherboard DDR5

Is that gap between your scenery and the default being caused by a mask that was created when you converted your scenery? If so, you might not be seeing the default scenery at its max resolution, making it look worse than it really is.

• I've wondered often why no well known ortho-scenery companies have stepped in and made their offerings available for Aerofly yet. It seems like a no-brainer.

I personally approached the owner of PC Aviator about a year ago. He and I go back more than 20 years. I asked him to find a way to port over the vast collection of images he has in his existing photosceneries for the other flight sim platforms. He understandably did not want to put in the time and effort because of the small market then represented by users of AFS2. That's the rub. It is perceived return on investment, especially if that investment is very labor intensive. He did say he'd be open to looking again if and when the platform gained a larger following, but at that time the sales of the few addons he had for AFS2 were so tiny it was putting him off. Now, that was a year ago... Have things changed? I would not be in a position to answer that.

- Kenneth

• I personally approached the owner of PC Aviator about a year ago. He and I go back more than 20 years. I asked him to find a way to port over the vast collection of images he has in his existing photosceneries for the other flight sim platforms. He understandably did not want to put in the time and effort because of the small market then represented by users of AFS2. That's the rub. It is perceived return on investment, especially if that investment is very labor intensive. He did say he'd be open to looking again if and when the platform gained a larger following, but at that time the sales of the few addons he had for AFS2 were so tiny it was putting him off. Now, that was a year ago... Have things changed? I would not be in a position to answer that.

- Kenneth

I'm aware of the attitude. Speaking to others, I've bumped into it several times, but honestly it seems fairly short-sighted to me; maybe even nonsensical.

These things take a village.

Yet the development Community has let no less than 3 Sims get buy it, where it seemed almost every developer sat on the fence waiting for somebody else to jump first. (Or simply refused to jump, period)

It sets up a perfect Catch 22 chicken-and-egg situation, that I've been shaking my head at for years, and not just with aerofly. Even as we speak the same is occurring with flyinside sim as well.

In a way, I've been thinking for the last week that maybe that's part of why so many people are excited by the new Microsoft Sim.

Big daddy warbucks is going to step in (many seem to hope) and just throw money everywhere, handing out a ready-made market that nobody will have to put any work in to help create.

Maybe.......

Meanwhile, I give a lot of credit to Aerosoft, justflight, Orbx, Dino cattaneo and others for stepping up to the plate, and I've already made an internal promise to myself not to forget them.

Devons rig

Intel Core i5-13600K - Core i5 13th Gen 14-Core (6P+8E) @ 5.5Ghz / G.SKILL Trident Z5 RGB Series 32GB RAM DDR5 6000 / GIGABYTE GeForce RTX 4070Ti GAMING OC 12G / Sound Blaster Z / Oculus Quest 2 VR Headset / Klipsch® Promedia 2.1 Computer Speakers / ASUS ROG SWIFT PG279Q ‑ 27" IPS LED Monitor ‑ QHD / 6x Samsung SSD/NVME's various sizes / Windows 11 Pro 64-bit / GIGABYTE Z790 AORUS ELITE AX LGA 1700 ATX Motherboard DDR5

Edited 3 times, last by HiFlyer (June 23, 2019 at 5:56 AM).

• Is that gap between your scenery and the default being caused by a mask that was created when you converted your scenery? If so, you might not be seeing the default scenery at its max resolution, making it look worse than it really is.

No, the default scenery does look like this.

• No, the default scenery does look like this.

I can confirm the default scenery looks bad in yosemite. I'm guessing it's the usual 1m per pixel free USGS imagery used everywhere else in the default Aerofly. In yosemite it may be aggravated by the steep slopes of the mountains which are makes the pixels get stretched vertically even more. Your scenery is ZL 17 which means 0.5 m per pixel if I'm not mistaken. That means four times better resolution which of course will look better.

• "Meanwhile, I give a lot of credit to Aerosoft, justflight, Orbx, Dino cattaneo and others for stepping up to the plate, and I've already made an internal promise to myself not to forget them." -

Absolutely.. I applaud their vision too. But, even they must at some point be business-minded. If returns on investment fail to meet expectations, so will their interest. IPACS must see their faith as a gift, and rally to leverage it while the going is good.

- Kenneth