New Here - Want to Understand how Cultivation works with Default Scenery and Airports

• Hello. I bought the Switzerland DLC and was disappointed to see no buildings in Zurich. So I found the autogen sceneries on flight-sim.org for Switzerland, which is great. That's what I needed! However, I am wondering now how that reacts to the places that do already have buildings already, such as NY, LA, etc, and the airports. Will placing cultivated or autogen buildings affect those areas at all? (Cultivation and autogen are synonyms in this sim/forum, correct?)

In addition, I see that there are airport buildings available on fscloudport, which is also awesome. How do I know which airports come with buildings in the sim already, and which do not? For example, having purchased the Switzerland DLC, I would expect LSZN to have buildings, but it did not until I downloaded the applicable airport from fscloudport.

Thanks in advance for any information.

• Official Post

Hello and welcome to our forums.

Adding cultivation will not cause any problems with anything existing unless you create your own and place a building over an existing one. Typically if you find an area that has no buildings (and street lights) it's a safe bet that you can safely add your own to that area.

IPACS Development Team Member

I'm just a cook, I don't own the restaurant.
    On behalf of Torsten, Marc, and the rest of the IPACS team, we would all like to thank you for your continued support.

Regards,

Jeff

• Hi Unlikely Spider and welcome to AFS2 !

If you like to create your own cultivation on existing sceneries, then you'll need to make sure not to place cultivation buildings where 3D buildings are yet featured, otherwise both will be loaded and displayed.

The most common way of creating cultivation is based on data extraction (for instance OSM data) and generation using ScenProc.

The method I use is drawing kml exclude polygons in Google Earth. You can load such polygons in ScenProc and make sure no building (or tree, or light) will be generated from data inside these areas.

I made a set of exclude polygons for the Swiss DLC.

Cheers

Antoine

Config : i7 6900K - 20MB currently set at 3.20GHz, Cooling Noctua NH-U14S, Motherboard ASUS Rampage V Extreme U3.1, RAM HyperX Savage Black Edition 16GB DDR4 3000 MHz, Graphic Card Gigabyte GeForce GTX 1080 8GB, Power supply Corsair RM Series 850W, Windows 10 64 bit.

• I see. I don't really want to create my own though. I am used to another sim where there is a text file that can be edited that sets the priority of sceneries, so if overlaps occur, I can set the higher-quality paid items higher. If I go to fscloudport and download a bunch of airports, will I risk creating double buildings or overwriting existing ones?

• I see. I don't really want to create my own though. I am used to another sim where there is a text file that can be edited that sets the priority of sceneries, so if overlaps occur, I can set the higher-quality paid items higher. If I go to fscloudport and download a bunch of airports, will I risk creating double buildings or overwriting existing ones?

Yes, there's no clear concept of scenery priority in AFS2, unfortunately. Overlapping sceneries conflict if they're not designed for overlapping...

Cheers

Antoine

Config : i7 6900K - 20MB currently set at 3.20GHz, Cooling Noctua NH-U14S, Motherboard ASUS Rampage V Extreme U3.1, RAM HyperX Savage Black Edition 16GB DDR4 3000 MHz, Graphic Card Gigabyte GeForce GTX 1080 8GB, Power supply Corsair RM Series 850W, Windows 10 64 bit.

• Is there a list of airports that are included? I would like to plan a flight but don't want to end up at an empty strip once I arrive.

Do the autogen downloads typically add appropriate buildings to airports?

No list of detailed airports, isometimes it's only a strip in the middle of nowhere, sometimes there's a nicely detailed airport, but there's no rule.

The workaround is to quickly select any potential destination airport and launch to have a quick look if it is a suited destination.

Autogen buildings make poor airport buildings unfortunately, you'll get concrete towers instead of hangars...

For that reason I always create exclude polygons around aerodromes.

• Orbx cultivation actually has houses and objects in LSZG overlapping with the default scenery. You cannot edit these with cultivation editor. Thats an issue for all my self converted airports. It has less floating houses however. The swiss cultivation on org is nice, can be edited to some extend, not the forrest unfortunately, but has floating houses. lot of them.

X-Plane 12.x | DCS 2.5.7 | War Thunder | Aerofly FS4

Win11-x64 | Lenovo Legion T7 34LMZ5 | Intel i7-10700K @3.6GHz | Kingston FuryX RGB 32GB DDR4 PC3733 | 6TB SSD Samsung 850 Pro | 3TB M2 PCI 4x | Gigabyte RTX 3070 Ti Vision OC | TM Hotas Warthog | Saitek Combat Pedals | Reverb G2 V2 | Lenovo Legion Y25g-30 360hz

• IMO for a same mesh floating houses are related to the tile size when generating cultivation. The larger the tile, the more floating/burried houses you may get, especially when the ground is far from flat...

Antoine