Missing Level 9 in AeroScenery

• I have noticed over the last few weeks running "AeroScenery" in both image providers that on some of the tiles level 9 and some level 11 files are missing. I thought at first it was a problem with the downloaded images, its not.

I went back to downloading a similar area of Finland using the old "FSET" and "GeoConvert" to find that generated all of the level 9 and 11 files perfectly OK.

My only conclusion from this rightly or wrongly is the problem lies within the "AeroScenery" software?

Best wishes, Michael :)

Edited once, last by IZ0JUB (June 28, 2019 at 1:47 PM).

• I have noticed over the last few weeks running "AeroScenery" in both image providers that on some of the tiles level 9 and some level 11 files are missing.

I made the same experience with one tile in Germany (map_09_8880_a99). :/

I went back to downloading the exact same area using the old "FSET" and "GeoConvert"

How do you determine the exact area in FSET so that there is no overlap and loading in patches?

Can you make in GeoConvert the important AeroScenery Setting "Shrink TMC grid squares by 0.01 degrees", which is necessary to prevent the "loading in patches " effect?

I made the same experience with one tile in Germany (map_09_8880_a99)

AeroScenery produced 1.356 instead of 1.361 files (ZL 17, AFS Levels 9, 11, 12 , 13, 14).

I have another uncomplete tile: map_8880_a980 with only 1.037 instead of 1.361 files. =O

• Let me know what you find.

A few things to consider:

- How are you verifying that files are missing? Checking in the sim or going by what GeoConvert says. I've found GeoConvert to give unreliable numbers of how many files it should generate.

- Check that you have "write images with mask" enabled. Disabled could lead to tiles not being created along coast lines, and possibly the above discrepancy.

- The "Shrink TMC grid squares" is there because GeoConvert seems to round coordinates up up. If you supply exact coordinates, it can lead to almost empty adjacent squares being generated.

- It seems like AeroScenery is downloading everything and this is possibly a GeoConvert or GeoConvert configuration issue?

AeroScenery - Easily create photoreal scenery for Aerofly

• Just a quick note whilst waiting for GeoConvert to complete.

Firstly many thanks Nick for your response. Its interesting that I had "write images with mask" switched off so thanks for that tip.

I look in the AeroScenery working folder 16-geoconvert-ttc to check the files and also checking it in the sim location viewer.

I will get back later this afternoon.

Thanks again.

Cheers, Michael.

Back again from experimenting and testing and ticking "write images with mask" generated the missing level 9 and level 11 files.

Thanks again Nick for your help.

Cheers, Michael.

PS I found I could remove the level 9 and level mask files without any issues. Scenery tile looks perfectly OK.

Best wishes, Michael :)

Edited 2 times, last by IZ0JUB (June 28, 2019 at 8:56 PM).

• You just converting the tiles without editing it? Otherwise you would not miss such parts.

I have at least one look at the stiched tiles before converting them into the AF2 format. And if I don't like what is in, I combine both providers,

Getting rid of clouds, aircrafts, and all strange things. You need your time to get useable ortho scenery.

And you don't get missing parts and other stuff.

I know, the creation of the scenery takes more time but the results are much more enjoyable.

Just my tip.

Wish for Aerofly FS 2/4:

- Flightpath recording on hard drive and replay in sim from different view points

- Smoke for aerobatic planes

- Multiplayer or at least watching other people flying sitting on ground or inside tower

Edited once, last by flightxtreme (June 29, 2019 at 10:54 AM).

• I know, the creation of the scenery takes more time but the results are much more enjoyable.

Just my tip.

That's 100% correct.

I come from FSX, where I installed numerous photorealistic sceneries from other creators (e.g. in the USA and Italy). Most of these sceneries had a resolution of 1 meter/pixel.

Because the FSX took much too long to start due to my numerous addons and I didn't like the low frame rate and the visible loading of the sceneries, I switched to FS 2.

When I started to create sceneries for the FS 2, I did it with FSET and also with 1 m/pixel. As I couldn't put together any sceneries without the infamous "loading in patches", I started with AeroScenery again from scratch. Unfortunately there was also a pop-up, which I could avoid by creating it again with the setting "Shrink TMC grid squares by 0.01 degrees".

Since there would be about 72 images to process per grid size 9 at AFS Level 14, I limited my post-processing to the coasts and large lakes. My attempt to equalize color differences failed miserably. I obviously lack skill, patience and simply time. :(

As I like to fly VFR at low altitudes, the AFS Level 14 is certainly a good choice, but when I look at the great sceneries of Schnuffelduffel in North East Germany, he went the better way with AFS Level 13 and a consequent postprocessing. But, as already mentioned, I wouldn't be able to do that.

The flight simulator is a great hobby, but I also have a family and other nice hobbies, so I have to decide how intensively I want to work with the FS 2.

My Quick and Dirty method gives me acceptable results. If landscapes vary in colour and brightness, I imagine that clouds are responsible for it. ;)

My most beautiful sceneries are the purchased sceneries of IPACS and orbx. I could never create the sceneries so good. In addition, there are also professionally created airports, cities and individual landmarks. The airports of FSCloud are a great thing and I thank all the creators of these airports, but they do not have the quality of professional products. Therefore they are free.

I like to fly in Southern Germany, Southern France and Italy. For these areas I have created sceneries. If IPACS or orbx one day would bring out these countries as addons, I would be happy to buy them.

Oops, now my answer is a bit long. =O I just wanted to explain my ambitions with the FS 2.

Out of toppic: My absolute favourite FSX airplane is the Super Connie. If I could get it for FS 2, that would be insane. 8)