Mesh accuracy provided in AFS 2?

• I did not find the information of the pitch on everyone AFS2. I read that it is very accurate ..

'Very accurate' does not mean anything if the height is not indicated.

long ago .. Fsx default was 76m and 9m in some area and paid addons allowed to have 1m.

So Aerofly is covered with a mesh at what height precisely.

• I did not find the information of the pitch on everyone AFS2. I read that it is very accurate ..

'Very accurate' does not mean anything if the height is not indicated.

long ago .. Fsx default was 76m and 9m in some area and paid addons allowed to have 1m.

So Aerofly is covered with a mesh at what height precisely.

I don't think that the mesh is accurate. At least not outside of the scenery areas. Go to "Drei Zinnen" Tirol. You will find some really ugly mountains. Far far off reality. It is comparable to the mesh provided in XP9.

X-Plane 12.x | DCS 2.5.7 | War Thunder | Aerofly FS4

Win11-x64 | Lenovo Legion T7 34LMZ5 | Intel i7-10700K @3.6GHz | Kingston FuryX RGB 32GB DDR4 PC3733 | 6TB SSD Samsung 850 Pro | 3TB M2 PCI 4x | Gigabyte RTX 3070 Ti Vision OC | TM Hotas Warthog | Saitek Combat Pedals | Reverb G2 V2 | Lenovo Legion Y25g-30 360hz

• Official Post

By default Aerofly FS uses 10m mesh accuracy for regions where we added airports. So this basically means all of the West Coast in the USA features 10m. The other parts of the world usually only have a lower resolution to reduce the overall size on disc. Aerofly FS would in theory support 2.5m mesh accuracy, but elevation date is hardly accurate enough to justify using it.

• By default Aerofly FS uses 10m mesh accuracy for regions where we added airports. So this basically means all of the West Coast in the USA features 10m. The other parts of the world usually only have a lower resolution to reduce the overall size on disc. Aerofly FS would in theory support 2.5m mesh accuracy, but elevation date is hardly accurate enough to justify using it.

The dolomites regions is likely not a 10m mesh. Neither it was in the Canary island. I got a 10m mesh for Tenerife done. The coastline and the Teide are clearly different.

Win11-x64 | Lenovo Legion T7 34LMZ5 | Intel i7-10700K @3.6GHz | Kingston FuryX RGB 32GB DDR4 PC3733 | 6TB SSD Samsung 850 Pro | 3TB M2 PCI 4x | Gigabyte RTX 3070 Ti Vision OC | TM Hotas Warthog | Saitek Combat Pedals | Reverb G2 V2 | Lenovo Legion Y25g-30 360hz

• The dolomites regions is likely not a 10m mesh. Neither it was in the Canary island. I got a 10m mesh for Tenerife done. The coastline and the Teide are clearly different.

By default Aerofly FS uses 10m mesh accuracy for regions where we added airports. [...] other parts of the world usually only have a lower resolution [...]

There's no IPACS AD near the Dolomites or Canary areas, therefore a low res mesh.

Cheers

Antoine

Config : i7 6900K - 20MB currently set at 3.20GHz, Cooling Noctua NH-U14S, Motherboard ASUS Rampage V Extreme U3.1, RAM HyperX Savage Black Edition 16GB DDR4 3000 MHz, Graphic Card Gigabyte GeForce GTX 1080 8GB, Power supply Corsair RM Series 850W, Windows 10 64 bit.

• By default Aerofly FS uses 10m mesh accuracy for regions where we added airports. So this basically means all of the West Coast in the USA features 10m. The other parts of the world usually only have a lower resolution to reduce the overall size on disc. Aerofly FS would in theory support 2.5m mesh accuracy, but elevation date is hardly accurate enough to justify using it.

Interesting infos but could you please tell us what is the default mesh resolution in AFS2 ? When I mean default I mean outside the special areas (ie. not the US West Coast nor area with addon) and thus anywhere in the globe.

Apparently the used elevation data are not the SRTM 1' (30 meters) or even the SRTM 3' (90 meters). I don't think the last one takes too much size, at least by download, but on DVD it's another story off course...

• I am curious too - for example, I see large parts of Finland, Germany, etc available on the filebase website, however they tend to be only cultivation and photo scenery. The only mesh I see on that site is for Norway. How do these sceneries work if there is not a good mesh for the area?

• Welcome "Unlikely Spider" to the forum you are in safe hands.

My humble amateur offerings of photo scenery and cultivation will work perfectly fine over the FS 2 default mesh.

Making accurate mesh is a whole new ball game which I know absolutely nothing about the subject.

Best wishes, Michael :)

• But, honestly, your cultivation and your photo scenery does look much better with a 10m mesh

• Interesting infos but could you please tell us what is the default mesh resolution in AFS2 ? When I mean default I mean outside the special areas (ie. not the US West Coast nor area with addon) and thus anywhere in the globe.

Apparently the used elevation data are not the SRTM 1' (30 meters) or even the SRTM 3' (90 meters). I don't think the last one takes too much size, at least by download, but on DVD it's another story off course...

- default whole world about 150 meter/pixel -> Level 7

- USA DLC about 20 meter/pixel -> Level 10

- Swiss DLC about 10 meter/pixel -> Level 11

* grid obtained out of AFS2 Grid Generator executed on the "elevation" folder of my Aerofly FS 2 steam directory:

Default AFS2 tth Files GRID.kmz

• Thanks Vogel, I don't have the time yet to play with your program but it looks very interesting.

And you gave me the infos I was looking for: ~150 meters for the default mesh resolution.

You said 150 meters because the AFS level is 7 by default for the whole globe (and level 7 means ~150 meters per pixel) but actually the resolution of the used elevation data itself could be be less, right ?

In fact I don't understand what the AFS levels exactly are. It sounds for me they are the different levels of details that the AFS 3D engine can support but I'm a bit confused, especially with the difference with the zoom levels (for orthoimagery). For the last ones it is not the level 7 but the level 10 which corresponds to 150 meters / pixel (at least for OSM but it's standardized).

• I hope you don't mind me adding this here as it is the same mesh subject.

I'm in the process of making scenery for Finland and moving north found this big "cliff edge" in the default mesh.

Pictures attached to show the problem.

Would greatly appreciate any help please.

Thank you.

Michael.

Best wishes, Michael :)

• Michael,

if you look at this picture from further up you can see your possible problem:

16758-level7-jpg

The blue tiles are ending somewhere. Further north it is zero mesh.

You have to provide your own mesh.

Where the spike in your second screen comes from, I don't know.

turman

Well, your link to the OSM page say they use 256-pixel wide tiles. This is different to what AFS2 is using. This lead to different m/pixel. Also OSM stated "on equator".

AFS2 is using 2048 pixel wide tiles.

"Zoom-Level" relates to the picture source of the ortho tiles.

"Level" normally is related to the resulting AFS2 files generated.

As a result of this: Your Zoom-Level should be three higher than the AFS2-Level output to get the 256 -> 2058 difference.

Wish for Aerofly FS 2/4:

- Flightpath recording on hard drive and replay in sim from different view points

- Smoke for aerobatic planes

- Multiplayer or at least watching other people flying sitting on ground or inside tower

• I know one that can ...

• I know one that can ...

Well... sometimes it works, sometimes not and I am relying on help from another person at the moment. Not a thing I want to go to public yet.

But there are others who can do better and there is somewhere a thread here, explaining how you do elevation maps. (Not fully to my understanding...) I am still learning at this topic.

Wish for Aerofly FS 2/4:

- Flightpath recording on hard drive and replay in sim from different view points

- Smoke for aerobatic planes

- Multiplayer or at least watching other people flying sitting on ground or inside tower