Update for MAC OS version - request for info on status

• Dear IPACS reps,

on June 29 I wrote a question in connection with the update announcement of Aerofly FS2 and the official info, that it could take a while, until the MAC users would also be able to receive this update:

Is the MAC update just still in the approval process of Apple

or

has the update not been filed with their approval team yet?

...just to get some sort of feeling, if we are talking days, weeks or months for the update

Jet Pack replied to me and was so kind to announce, that he would get back to us with the respective info on my question.

Maybe I have overseen the info, but since this post is two weeks old, could you folks please provide us with this status info?

Thank you very much

Cheers

• Thanks for your prompt answer, jet-pack :thumbup:

... but maybe we should just ask the project head or the responsible person for the MAC version at IPACS?

or if there is none, there must at least be somebody somewhere at IPACS working on the MAC version? ..at all?;)

.... by the way, and I am not insinuating this(!), but if IPACS is not interested in further developing the MAC version anymore, e.g. for commercial or other resource reasons, I would rather get that clear and honest information and decide for myself if I stick to the product , than waiting and hoping for something, that will never come. I think in that case, IPACS, please have the courage to tell us, ...we're grown ups and can handle the truth! - no bad feelings.

On the other hand, if(!) and again, I am not insinuating this(!), if you string us along, then I would consider this unfair and incorrect treatment of customers.

And looking to the facts, The WIN version already has much more options, addons, sceneries etc and is fare more advanced than the MAC version.
    And the Apple policy can not be blamed for this gap, if you are honest....

Cheers

• You have to give us some time with this. There are in fact a lot of other things going on right now that are also important to the Aerofly series that are taking priority right now.

As soon as one of us (myself or Jan (Jet Pack)) have some information related to this we will relay this to the community. I can assure you that the Mac version has not been abandoned.

IPACS Development Team Member

I'm just a cook, I don't own the restaurant.
    On behalf of Torsten, Marc, and the rest of the IPACS team, we would all like to thank you for your continued support.

Regards,

Jeff

• Thank you drhotwing1 for your honest and open reply:thumbup:

...so, bottom line?, ... this is what we have (no bad feelings, just facts):

- The WIN version seems to have a huge and vivid community with lots of add-ons with regard to sceneries and other things (....congrats folks:-)

- So, while the WIN version and the mobile versions are boosted by IPACS

and also show tremendous improvements on features and scope

- the MAC version of Aerofly FS2 is currently in a kind of „holding“ until further notice

-> thus, no updates for the MAC version are to be expected soon

I regret this very much, but for us MAC users it comes to a take it or leave it, as we are obviously just a very small portion of the customer community and IPACS ressources with regard to a production of their software on a lot of different platforms seems to be limited. As IPACS is not a non-profit organisation ;), they naturally focus on the bigger market.

Cheers & enjoy the weekend

• Actually we Mac users shouldn't have to be so hung up at all, because in the addon directories all planes and sceneries can be stored.:) In the non-profit sector there are interesting joint projects for airplanes as well as for sceneries, which may not be perfect yet but still are a lot of fun to fly.:thumbup:8)

What is possible in the non-profit sector should also be possible in the professional sector.:/

I'm curious to see what the future will bring.

Bye, Michael (III)

• We are not too happy as well with how the Mac version is coming along.The main reason is, that we are fighting with some issues when it comes to distributing updates and addon's for the Mac version through the Mac App Store. The Mac App Store is not really suitable for delivering updates as well as DLCs when the size of them is big ( many GBs of data ). We are not sure if this will improve in the future, but as of now it's very unreliable.

As far as the comparision goes between the Mac and Windows version, besides the missing VR support, both versions are almost identical with only minor differences. So you can use all user created airplanes and sceneries, if the developer didn't make the mistake of using upper case letters for filenames.

• The capital letters themselves are not the problem. the Mac can handle them. For example, all files in the downloads from FSCloudPort have the directory and the start file in uppercase for airports -- and this is no problem with Mac.

The problem is that by default the Mac differentiates between upper and lower case for file names and Windows does not.

If, for example, a file "EDDF-Cultivation.tsc" is called in a code, then it must be written exactly like this on the Mac and not, for example, "EDDF-cultivation.tsc" or "eddf-cultivation.tsc".

The other is that the Mac only uses slash "/", while Windows used in former times only backslash "\" and now Windows can do both.

So even the Mac doesn't have a problem with precisely designed software.

• We treat each platform community equal, the problem we face, like many other small development companies, is that we can only work on one thing at a time. So it's always a juggling strategy for us. I hope that you can understand this. In the future you too will be happy but for now, I say to you what i've said quite a bit to others, please enjoy our product for what it is today and one day you will be pleasantly surprised by a nice update :)

IPACS Development Team Member

I'm just a cook, I don't own the restaurant.
    On behalf of Torsten, Marc, and the rest of the IPACS team, we would all like to thank you for your continued support.

Regards,

Jeff