• I'm waiting for Nick's new version of "AeroScenery" and I want to remake Finland and other countries using top quality photo images.

Hang on in there it will happen over the coming months.........................................

Kindest regards to all, Michael

Best wishes, Michael :)

• I had lots of trouble with that Mesh, looked like a different planet. Lots of elevation spikes and sinkholes. Did it work and look good for you?

Mostly it works excellent.

But on clear cloudless days - in mountainous areas - I can sometimes experience some wrong "behavior" on the horizon. But when I get closer it gets ok.

Augustin Winther, (creator of the terrain) informs, quote:

"Known issues/bugs:

Mesh tiles above 60 degrees north has some quirks/issues loading sometimes. Unsure if this is a mistake by me, or a limitation set by the game engine."

• I'm waiting for Nick's new version of "AeroScenery" and I want to remake Finland and other countries using top quality photo images.

other countries like Germany ;)... I guessed it. It's great Nick is working on AeroScenery again and should give indeed new options.

Moreover, Higgy seems to upgrade Flight-Sim.org for uploading larger files. Quite a number of great achievements seem to come together.

Kind regards, Michael

Intel i7-6700K 4.0 GHz / Asus MAXIMUS VIII RANGER / Kingston 32 GB DDR4 / Samsung SSD M.2 500 GB + Samsung SSD 1 TB + Intel SSD 500 GB (AeroflyFS2) + WD HD 6 TB / EVGA GTX 1080Ti 11 GB / LG 34UM95 3440 x 1440 / HP Reverb / Win 10/64

• good day

I will complete Scandinavia and post the link when done;

right now I am working to do Whole of Eu - in 4 blocks up to North 60 - eastern border will be around Estonia; down all the way to east Crete -

I will send this 4 blocks to simmarket; one by one as soon are done for those who want them; they are done from srtm data 1 arc sec;

this will provide an acceptable base mesh of extended coverage; and files will be always there available for those who want them.

always pending of successful data compilation

and here an image of what kind of mesh to expect

ok

today run lots of tests; and as make comparison between default mesh and a new base mesh;

default mesh over eu is not really far away of 30 m resolution; it is not bad in my opinion; I also check out west coast of us and it took me at 10 m res;

having said that compiling srtm 30 m datas; give some advantages (although geoconverter is very nervous using srtm data) ; the advantages are not a massive differencet but in the particulars; I post a comparison image;

in my opinion the new base will get even a bigger advantage when twinned with photorealistic as those extra elevation features will surely create a further 3d effect.

and here another test new base with photo and photo with default mesh

taking in consideration; that over existing default mesh areas (other than usa 10 m ) look like default aerofly mesh is lev 9 - at 38 m is not worth replace with another base mesh only just more detailed.

time will be better spent to concentrate to further higher resolution meshes coverages; and also work on areas above N60 where mesh is not there.

Edited once, last by abbiati50 (July 15, 2019 at 8:45 AM).

• (...)

time will be better spent to concentrate to further higher resolution meshes coverages (...)

That's what IPACS did for instance on Switzerland DLC, with Levels 10+11 levels mesh

Thank you four your works!

Cheers

Antoine

Config : i7 6900K - 20MB currently set at 3.20GHz, Cooling Noctua NH-U14S, Motherboard ASUS Rampage V Extreme U3.1, RAM HyperX Savage Black Edition 16GB DDR4 3000 MHz, Graphic Card Gigabyte GeForce GTX 1080 8GB, Power supply Corsair RM Series 850W, Windows 10 64 bit.

• default mesh over eu is not really far away of 30 m resolution; it is not bad in my opinion;

Hello Abbiati,

I'm surprised because from what we've seen the default mesh in AFS2 is level 7 so with a resolution which cannot be more than ~150 meters / pixel (cf. the Vogel69's post here).

And over the Southern Alps I can see a big difference with my mesh based on tiles from J. de Ferranti (embeded SRTM 30m).

But on your screenshot it's not really the case, the default mesh looks great :/

I'm also surprised that thread has been moved into sub-forum for general & aircraft development instead of the one for geoconvert development.

• Hello Abbiati,

I'm surprised because from what we've seen the default mesh in AFS2 is level 7 so with a resolution which cannot be more than ~150 meters / pixel (cf. the Vogel69's post here).

And over the Southern Alps I can see a big difference with my mesh based on tiles from J. de Ferranti (embeded SRTM 30m).

But on your screenshot it's not really the case, the default mesh looks great :/

good point; but there is a catch here;

the proof is in the pudding

the base mesh test I have done use the srtm 1 arc sec (30 m) compiled at level 10;

the key in mesh is the source data; if you compile srtm 1 at level 7; the result will not be much different than compiling at level 10; yes you will get less curved terrains but the difference is there on the images I have posted; is not major; we only gain a few levels of details but high res mesh is on another planet.

I am not completely sure what ipac have done but from what I see; ipac used to do default world at level 7 as Vogel69 described already (note default mesh end at N60 as srtm do) using srtm 1 arc sec data

de Ferranti data at 1 sec are only of limited coverage; for Europe I can make nice 19 m meshes (always pending end results tests) packages; similar as the Italy I done. We have data coverage for most of it; and with time we will get it all covered at high res than srtm can do.

Edited once, last by abbiati50 (July 16, 2019 at 12:44 PM).

• for Europe I can make nice 19 m meshes (always pending end results tests) packages; similar as the Italy I done. We have data coverage for most of it; and with time we will get it all covered at high res than srtm can do.

Your Italy mesh is fantastic. Now it's even more fun to fly over the land of my ancestors. :love:

I'm really looking forward to your rest of Europe mesh. :)

• thanks Lucky1960 - glad it keep you up in the air and enjoy ! We are going to keep it that way; I promise you; we are going to see some great terrains !

and with that said; I am now posting the 19 m terrain for whole Spain I am working on it; to compare with 30 m srtm base test done above; look in the areas circled in yellow; the further resolution of 10 m add a new features missed by the 30 m srtm dem; more specifically look at that small plateau completely missed on the 30 m res mesh even although it was compiled and pushed all the way to level 10; as it is not a native resolution of 20 m features were missing; different story with a native 20 m data; this is very important for a simulator based on orthoimages to make it look at its best.

and now to end the 19 m in action; I always loved to fly over the Pyrenees ! fantastic place !!