Ortho creation issues (Geoconvert extremely slow) [SOLVED]

• Good to know !

But I'm now pretty sure that my slowness doesn't come from that setting. I mean it could help to have a faster generation but not x10 or x20, right ?

I have 2 other small questions:

- I'd like to apply the Antoine's hint but I don't see the "always overwrite" option in Aeroscenery > Settings > Geoconvert, is it in your todo list Nick ? ;)

- Even if I check only AFS Level 12 in Aeroscenery, Geoconvert starts at level 14 and then do the level 15.

Edited 2 times, last by turman (July 17, 2019 at 12:45 PM).

• - I'd like to apply the Antoine's hint but I don't see the "always overwrite" option in Aeroscenery > Settings > Geoconvert, is it in your todo list Nick ? ;)

- Even if I check only AFS Level 12 in Aeroscenery, Geoconvert starts at level 14 and then do the level 15.

Always overwrite is forced to true by AeroScenery. I want to leave it that way or it could get confusing for users.

You can see why GeoConvert is doing what it's doing by looking at the TMC file generated in the {zoom_level}-stitched in the grid square directory that you're working on.

If you've only selected one level, it should only have one level in the TMC.

(Just tried a new square and only selecting a level 13 tile to generate. The TMC only contains one level, as expected).

If you have access to another Windows PC I'd recommend giving that a try to figure out if the slowness is machine specific.

AeroScenery - Easily create photoreal scenery for Aerofly

• Sorry Antoine but I don't find the section in your PDF which talks about the "Shrink TMC grid squares" option (if I search "skrink" not result is found).

Chapter 2.6.1. NorthWest and SouthEast Corners in TMC file. => check page 20.

Always overwrite is forced to true by AeroScenery.

Well, you may edit the TMC file generated by Aeroscenery and launch manually...

Cheers

Antoine

Config : i7 6900K - 20MB currently set at 3.20GHz, Cooling Noctua NH-U14S, Motherboard ASUS Rampage V Extreme U3.1, RAM HyperX Savage Black Edition 16GB DDR4 3000 MHz, Graphic Card Gigabyte GeForce GTX 1080 8GB, Power supply Corsair RM Series 850W, Windows 10 64 bit.

• Another thought: I don't know if this is true of the most recent geoconvert version, but in the past, if you're converting large areas, having a computer with an SSD vs. a HDD can make a huge difference too. When I was converting a large area in the past, geoconvert used up all my system RAM and started writing to disk for everything else it needed. My PC was hung for 12 hours, making almost no progress. I re-started the process on a laptop with a slower processor, same amount of RAM, but with a very fast SSD, and the whole thing was done in a few hours.

• Yes it's true I'll try it on my SSD this WE, I need some cleanup before...

But listent that, yesterday I was out of my home and with my laptop only, not my desktop where I use AFS. It's a very recent laptop under Linux but I have a Windows 10 partition that I never use (no AFS2 installed) so I've installed the AFS SDK and AereoScenery. It's a totally fresh install on another hardware and guess what, I got exactly the same slowness !!! It is just amazing ! 8|

My TPS (tile per second ;p) is still around 0.5, so only ~30 tiles per minute.

I guess that on a normal installation it must be something around ~10 tps, right ?

Antoine: it's right you wrote a gorgeous section about slighty grids ! But if the "write image with mask" option is set to false then the "Shrink TMC grid squares" option in AeroScenery has non sense, am I correct ?

The problem was the skrink option issue in AeroScenery. I guess I have relaunched only the geoconvert step after having fixed the value (in Windows regional settings) so the TMC had not been regenerated with correct coordinates. And it was normal that my geoconversion was so slow because 1 degree means tens of kilometers so at the end I had "reverse coordinates" of huge surface of 1*1 degree. Even if I was a building a single grid square of size 12, more 700 tiles was generated for level 12 and more than 40 000 tiles for the level 15 ! Now it's only 2 for level 12 and 48 for level 15, so it takes slightly less time ;)

Edited once, last by turman (July 18, 2019 at 2:20 PM).

• turman July 31, 2019 at 7:19 PM

Changed the title of the thread from “Ortho creation issues (Geoconvert extremely slow)” to “Ortho creation issues (Geoconvert extremely slow) [SOLVED]”.