CLOUDS MOVE STRANGE BEHAVIOUR WHEN VR

• Hello. When there are clouds and I move the head in VR the clouds do weird movements. I can obtain 90fps and the terrain and rest is ok. Clouds change as I move my head. Very strange and not nice at all.

Please, could you also work a way to avoid Paralell projections in fs2? That way we could use Fixed Foveated Rendering to improve visuals.

Pimax 5k+ and 2080ti:(

Edited once, last by javipamp (July 15, 2019 at 8:59 PM).

• javipamp July 15, 2019 at 8:58 PM

Changed the title of the thread from “CLOUDS MOVE STRANGE WHEN VR” to “CLOUDS MOVE STRANGE BEHAVIOUR WHEN VR”.
    • Official Post

The current clouds are bitmap so they are essentially flat images with alpha transparency so in order for you to not see them flat they have to always face towards you. In VR that function is much more noticeable since you have full range of motion. The clouds are indeed placeholders for now and they will be improved upon in the future but we can't give you a time frame at this time for that improvement.

IPACS Development Team Member

I'm just a cook, I don't own the restaurant.
    On behalf of Torsten, Marc, and the rest of the IPACS team, we would all like to thank you for your continued support.

Regards,

Jeff

• The current clouds are bitmap so they are essentially flat images with alpha transparency so in order for you to not see them flat they have to always face towards you. In VR that function is much more noticeable since you have full range of motion. The clouds are indeed placeholders for now and they will be improved upon in the future but we can't give you a time frame at this time for that improvement.

Still years Jeff?

• Official Post

It's not going to be 'years' but we just can't give you any information regarding this yet. And you know this already.

On behalf of Torsten, Marc, and the rest of the IPACS team, we would all like to thank you for your continued support.

Regards,

Jeff

• It's not going to be 'years' but we just can't give you any information regarding this yet. And you know this already.

I see you changed your answer so as to appear more "stern". Oh well, I preferred the playful response.

And really, since you told me "years" two years ago, I thought this was a question that warranted a re-posting and I wanted to give you a chance discuss Ipacs' progress for the all of us who have been waiting.

• Official Post

My original post could have been misconstrued by others so I made my response a bit more clear for others.

We have had a lot going on but as I stated a while ago we don't like the current clouds too much either :)

Regards,

Jeff

• To be fair the cloud behavior in VR is exactly the same in P3D and I'd reckon Xplane 11 probably Is not better in that regard. As Jeff stated as long as 2D images are used to depict clouds you'll always have those rotating clouds trying to keep a direct view axis to your face. It's even more obvious in Simulators that have cloud shadows where the shadow on the ground also rotates wildly while you look around. I guess the only solution would be true volumetric clouds like I saw on some tech demos for the Unity engine on YouTube. But I could imagine that this would be a huge performance killer.