Still in Search of Perfection, LYNX Mk7 update

• Hi Lynx fans

OK here's a bit of bad news...I found a major bug..and I mean a major one. :(

Lynx works great but only if I load it at an airfield which is below 100ft, anything above that, the screen goes black and FS2 seems to freeze until I press ESC. Not ideal as I'm sure you will all agree.

So why didn't I find this out before I hear some ask. Well, all my testing has been done at EGGP, yep below 100ft. I can fly to EGNM 700ft, land there and all ok. If I try to start at EGNM I get the error. I only found this out as I thought a nice photo shoot of the Lynx at EGNM was needed.

I have reached out to Obi Jan who replied that these kind of black screens happen if something in the physics 'explodes', the flight info also shows some infinite numbers, which is not a good sign. I'm thinking it may be something to do with the transmission system I developed as I have a homemade actuated freewheel. I know FS2 doesn't seem to like this but it's the only way to achieve correct starting for large multi engine helicopters.

I will try to track down the error and hopefully work towards a fix.

Steve

• Yep they are complicated but the biggest problem by far to a sole developer is we become a Jack of all trades and a master of none.

Modeller, texture artist, sound engineer, aerodynamicist, systems analyst, computer programmer, tea boy and general dogs body.

Or in others words, we spread ourselves too thin, which I guess leads me into another point.

Where should we focus our model detail ?

Super detailed exterior model and basic cockpit or

Super detailed cockpit and basic exterior model

We can't really have both and keep the frame rates high, so which is more important ?

Edit..missed one........thermodynamicist

• I can feel your pain, as a single developer for one aircraft one have to be good in all branches. That's simply impossible sometimes one have to make compromises.

For the TMD's it's a do, undo, redo for hours. I usually reload the aircraft after each block I write just in case I have forgotten a comma, but there are always unexpected errors like yours.

Courage...

Best, Sylvain

• I am more for a super detailed cockpit and a rather simple exterior model.

Tschüss, Michael (🍎🚁)

Configurations:

- MacBook Pro (16", 2021); Chip: Apple M1 Max; actual macOS || Thrustmaster TCA AIRBUS EDITION: 1x Sidestick, 2x Quadrant, 2x Quadrant Add-On || Pro-Flight-Trainer PUMA X

- iPad (12,9", 4th Generation, RAM: 6 GB); actual iOS || nimbus steelseries

• Where should we focus our model detail ?

Super detailed exterior model and basic cockpit or

Super detailed cockpit and basic exterior model

We can't really have both and keep the frame rates high, so which is more important ?

Edit..missed one........thermodynamicist

I think for most is Super detailed cockpit and basic exterior model better,

because this is a flight sim, not a RC-Sim ... most (real) pilots see her planes from inside when they use it :) :)

Aerofly is one of the best VR Flight Sims ...so how its looks from outside ...who cares ?

mfg, Jens ... Flight-Sim.org

Mein Home-Cockpit ... My Simulator Hardware

MSI PRO Z690-P DDR4 --- SI INTEL Core i7-13700F 2.1GHz LGA1700 Tray --- Palit RTX4070 JetStream 12GB DDR6 --- 16GB DDR4 PC4400 --- SSD Patriot 1TB M.2 Viper VP4300 --- Pimax Crystal

Alles fliegt irgendwie,
    fragt sich nur wielange

• Thanks to those who have contributed. After a very quick experiment whilst my TMD brain cools down I ended up with something that looks exactly the same from the inside but radically different from the outside. I removed everything we don't need or see . As it was only a quick experiment I could probably have reduced the poly count by another 30,000.

Lynx as it stand now is 417,348 polygons

Cockpit only view Lynx 332,678 polygons ( would be less if I really tried)

Whilst this may seem I could add 120,000 polys to the cockpit would the sim actually suffer as it needs to render those extra poly's. Perhaps only the professors can answer that one

I guess this mainly effects helicopters to be honest as tail hub and blades, main hub and blades add quite a lot of polygons, whilst a 2 bladed head and tail are ok as we go for larger helicopters the poly count rises quite a bit, a 7 bladed main rotor is nearly 4 times the amount.

Thanks again to all who contributed

I leave you with my stripped down Lynx

Steve

• You do hear blade thump when you stress the airframe but I’ve never seen that replicated in any flight sim to date.

External Content youtu.be
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.