What da' heck is this?

• Yes you need a (free) account and have to use the Bulk Download Application.

Problem is that there's no API access to this that I know about unless you get a "special" type of account from USGS

AeroScenery is written to handle ortho tile servers.

Automating high res USGS would require a whole load of screen scraping / HTML DOM parsing / click faking etc.

A compromise might be to let the user download the high res images, select the zips in the app, then let the automation start from there.

AeroScenery - Easily create photoreal scenery for Aerofly

• Well... minimum height of GA outside cities are 500ft. So it should be 500ft for display references, not 3500 ft. (Cities are 1000 ft) :)

This is for GA. Helicopter flying (or gliders if you do outside-landings) would set an even heavier request for details.

But of cause, everything depends on the resolution AND the quality of the source data.

This is, why I have made Level 14 optional. In most cases you don't need it (and in some region it does not give a higher resolution because of the source data.)

I don't like automated ortho scenery downloads without the possibility to modify the images. I don't like painted clouds on the ground, cloud shadows, "chemtrails", flying planes and planes on the ground you normally discover on Ortho-Pictures… Yet, I haven't done it, but I also like to have the possibility to remove bridges and create them as real objects.

All this could not be distributed, if each user build his scenery automatically.

Wish for Aerofly FS 2/4:

- Flightpath recording on hard drive and replay in sim from different view points

- Smoke for aerobatic planes

- Multiplayer or at least watching other people flying sitting on ground or inside tower

• you get a "special" type of account from USGS and develop . . . .

A compromise might be to let the user download the high res images, select the zips in the app, then let the automation start from there.

hello Nick. I would certainly encourage you to explore the possibility of having AutoScenery pick up at some point and process the higher resolution USGS scenery for those that are seeking the HD levels.

I’m sure we can find a common point to interface the users downloads with your magic and easy to use GUI interface.

There is just no real comparison between fake scenery and the real thing that AS delivers with such ease.

My old eyes are not very good, but, there are no jagged edged highways when I use Level 14 and there are most definitely jagged edges when using lower resolutions. Maybe not from 3,500 feet but you come down sometime. 🤨😯😀

• I had pointed out previously (several times) that these orthos were freely available for X-plane, but was (at the time) told that Aerofly itself would be doing something about higher resolution worldwide scenery etc-etc....... which never happened.

These orthos are still readily available:

https://forums.x-plane.org/index.php?/fil…us-orthophotos/

Devons rig

Intel Core i5-13600K - Core i5 13th Gen 14-Core (6P+8E) @ 5.5Ghz / G.SKILL Trident Z5 RGB Series 32GB RAM DDR5 6000 / GIGABYTE GeForce RTX 4070Ti GAMING OC 12G / Sound Blaster Z / Oculus Quest 2 VR Headset / Klipsch® Promedia 2.1 Computer Speakers / ASUS ROG SWIFT PG279Q ‑ 27" IPS LED Monitor ‑ QHD / 6x Samsung SSD/NVME's various sizes / Windows 11 Pro 64-bit / GIGABYTE Z790 AORUS ELITE AX LGA 1700 ATX Motherboard DDR5

• @flightextreme

If he/she chose an area already covered by photo textures to improve it is ok But this way? Same with the Mesh-Addons from Taburet;) But this is just my opinion.

yes of course you have a point but there is no orthophotos in eu that are free to use other than few countries; beside that even if a whole country is done at nice resolution where is going to be hosted ?

nobody will want host either 20 or 90 gb of data as free ride or for 10 euro a piece distribution; let alone pay six digits for images copyrights ??

my only solution if want to continue do mesh and not having deleted from server is to put it on simmarket for a modest fee and for those who want it; after all pay 10 or 12 eur to have the files hosted and always available whenever needed is not too bad and simmarket is very very good on that.

• sure, mesh compilation. And cultivation. Would be interesting to know, if the airport is covered in cultivation and if it is landable.

Wish for Aerofly FS 2/4:

- Flightpath recording on hard drive and replay in sim from different view points

- Smoke for aerobatic planes

- Multiplayer or at least watching other people flying sitting on ground or inside tower

• https://flight-sim.org/filebase/

On the right side: "Donation"

Neuchatel looks great, but the download doesn't work for me. Does it work for others? Besides, does it work with the ORBX Cultivation?

Kind regards, Michael

Intel i7-6700K 4.0 GHz / Asus MAXIMUS VIII RANGER / Kingston 32 GB DDR4 / Samsung SSD M.2 500 GB + Samsung SSD 1 TB + Intel SSD 500 GB (AeroflyFS2) + WD HD 6 TB / EVGA GTX 1080Ti 11 GB / LG 34UM95 3440 x 1440 / HP Reverb / Win 10/64