AeroScenery Beta Releases

• Currently on the road with the family. Will give the Swiss Geo Portal a try after August 4.

Thank you already now!

X-Plane 12.x | DCS 2.5.7 | War Thunder | Aerofly FS4

Win11-x64 | Lenovo Legion T7 34LMZ5 | Intel i7-10700K @3.6GHz | Kingston FuryX RGB 32GB DDR4 PC3733 | 6TB SSD Samsung 850 Pro | 3TB M2 PCI 4x | Gigabyte RTX 3070 Ti Vision OC | TM Hotas Warthog | Saitek Combat Pedals | Reverb G2 V2 | Lenovo Legion Y25g-30 360hz

• This is great. However, I thought someone told me that the default Aerofly uses USGS imagery. I tried a test area in Yosemite, and it does not match at all. Maybe the images have been updated since the devs added their textures to the sim? The newly-converted USGS image is on the bottom/right, and default is on the top and left.

• I need some help with the settings. I used Tom's setting from page 1 in both of these captures. The lighter (larger) image is from Savannah GA the inset is from Jackson MS. I used the same settings for both downloads and processing. This is USGA 2.3m source.

Can someone (Tom) suggest what to adjust to bring the Savannah image closer to the Jackson images?

• Using USGS source with the beta AS . . . .

The scenery looks OK when using TomSimMuc's settings but every grid so far has missing data. Just fuzzy squares where scenery should be located.

Thanks for testing.

Can you let me know what the stitched image looks like? Are there tiles missing causing areas of transparency?

There was an example earlier with grey squares being returned.

Seems like I'll need to test whether USGS tiles are valid and retry if required.

(I'm on holiday / vacation until the 5th Aug, so I'll be dropping into this thread sporadically).

AeroScenery - Easily create photoreal scenery for Aerofly

• Can someone (Tom) suggest what to adjust to bring the Savannah image closer to the Jackson images?

In that part of the settings screen you can open an already downloaded image to use as the preview image, which will probably help.

(One feature I want to implement is a live before and after preview).

The Savannah image looks washed out so you'd be decreasing brightness and increasing contrast & saturation.

AeroScenery - Easily create photoreal scenery for Aerofly

• Thanks for testing.

Can you let me know what the stitched image looks like? Are there tiles missing causing areas of transparency?

There was an example earlier with grey squares being returned.

Seems like I'll need to test whether USGS tiles are valid and retry if required.

(I'm on holiday / vacation until the 5th Aug, so I'll be dropping into this thread sporadically).

Yes, Nick. The stitched images have the dark gray blocks. See attached.\

• I tried GSI/Japan and Argis on Tokio. To begin with, both did work. Here is a comparison including a shot from an earlier make with Bing using an older Aeroscenery version. From Top to bottom:

Bing (old) / GSI (recent) / Arcgis (recent)

Bing obviously has terrible color jumps which you can already see looking upon Tokio in a browser. I had expected GSI/Japan to be best but from this (very) preliminary judgment I like Argis better for its more vivid colors and consistency. GSI also has strange sea structures.

On the other hand, Arcgis might have a slightly lower resolution (GSI and Argis were done with the same AeroScenery settings (steps 9, 11, 12, 13, 14). On the other hand, does anyone know what Arcgis says about (Freeware) redistribution?

Two minor points for Nick.

- FSCloudport display doesn't work for me. In fact I think it never worked in earlier versions as well. "Error scraping FSCloudPort airports".

- There's a spelling error in the settings: Show Preview Winow.

As an idea: Given that AeroScenery can't call Scenproc for Cultivation automatically, would it be possible to display (or better save to a text file) the lower left and upper right point of a tile to use these for downloading cultivation from OSM?

Overall, I am still excited how well and easy AeroScenery works. Thanks, Nick, great work.

Kind regards, Michael

Intel i7-6700K 4.0 GHz / Asus MAXIMUS VIII RANGER / Kingston 32 GB DDR4 / Samsung SSD M.2 500 GB + Samsung SSD 1 TB + Intel SSD 500 GB (AeroflyFS2) + WD HD 6 TB / EVGA GTX 1080Ti 11 GB / LG 34UM95 3440 x 1440 / HP Reverb / Win 10/64

• I'm experimenting too Michael with "ArcGIS" which is proving in some locations to be better than Bing or GE BUT nothing is 100%

I set up an account along time back.

Terms and Conditions of Using "ArcGIS"

https://doc.arcgis.com/en/arcgis-onli…erms-of-use.htm

Cheers, Michael.

PS Just found this statement:

Can I use ArcGIS Online free?

Yes, if it is for noncommercial use. With a free public account, you can create, store, and manage maps, scenes, and configurable apps, and share them with others. You also get access to content shared by Esri and GIS users around the world.

Best wishes, Michael :)

Edited once, last by IZ0JUB (July 27, 2019 at 2:37 PM).

• Can I use ArcGIS Online free?

Yes, if it is for noncommercial use. With a free public account, you can create, store, and manage maps, scenes, and configurable apps, and share them with others. You also get access to content shared by Esri and GIS users around the world.

Thanks a lot Michael. It's really hard to understand all this legal speak until you're a lawyer, but this seems to be the critical statement.

I just added cultivation to Tokio, essentially along your guides,

Cultivation the simple way part one.

Cultivation the simple way part two

and contrary to previous attempts more than a year ago the result is much improved using the recent Crispy136 and Kenventions script. I may add a shot later.

As a sidenote, the flight-sim.org link to the "building textures" in part two is dead as well.;( I was not even able to find it on flight-sim.org anymore. Maybe you (or a mod) can update the link.

Kind regards, Michael (II)

and the

Kind regards, Michael

Intel i7-6700K 4.0 GHz / Asus MAXIMUS VIII RANGER / Kingston 32 GB DDR4 / Samsung SSD M.2 500 GB + Samsung SSD 1 TB + Intel SSD 500 GB (AeroflyFS2) + WD HD 6 TB / EVGA GTX 1080Ti 11 GB / LG 34UM95 3440 x 1440 / HP Reverb / Win 10/64

• As a sidenote, the flight-sim.org link to the "building textures" in part two is dead as well.;( I was not even able to find it on flight-sim.org anymore. Maybe you (or a mod) can update the link.

Kind regards, Michael (II)

and the

Kind regards, Michael

Michael, with the broken link to "flight-sim.org, you're right"!:(

But thanks to the initiative of Higgy and Peter @ flight-sim.org, you can download all the files again, as usual.

See this thread: (https://flight-sim.org/wbb/index.php?…icht-angezeigt/).

Try it again! First click on "Filebase" then enter the search term into the "Search" field (Lupenfeld).
    Jakob

Nick, thank you very much, for all your work and effort to develop this excellent program.

And yes, I look forward to giving it a try.
    Jakob

Hello again Nick, I've just run into trouble again.

I made photo scenery along while back of the UK using Bing but over Fisguard Harbour was a load of cloud cover. So with the new version downloaded and processed one tile covering this area "map_09_7c00_ab80" using "ArcGIS" server.

I removed the old cloud covered tile and checked the scenery view in location in FS 2 just to make certain it was the correct one. To my surprise and horror the missing area is further south over Milford Haven not Fishguard Harbour?

HELP PLEASE....................................…

Michael I have the same troubles as you!:(

I think I know where it comes from. Maybe Nick can confirm that !?

I also did a photo scenery some times ago.
    At that time, I still used version 0.6 of AeroScenery for my photo scenery.

But, as of version 1.0.1 AeroScenery, Nick has made many improvements. Look here: AeroScenery Releases - Easily Create Photoreal Scenery

According to Nick, one of the improvements was:
    "Fixed Grid Square Hex Names
    Previous version got the hex names of grid squares wrong".

Can this, or something similar, be the reason for our problem of the misplaced "Grid Square"?

Jakob

• Michael, with the broken link to "flight-sim.org, you're right"!:(

But thanks to the initiative of Higgy and Peter @ flight-sim.org, you can download all the files again, as usual.

See this thread: (https://flight-sim.org/wbb/index.php?…icht-angezeigt/).

Try it again! First click on "Filebase" then enter the search term into the "Search" field (Lupenfeld).
    Jakob

Thanks Jak61. I just made a search in the filebase (magnifying glass) of flight-sim-org for "building textures" or "building textures" providing some results on files containing "building tetxures" variants but no link to the original building_textures file.

Kind regards, Michael