AeroScenery Beta Releases

• 30 mins for Grid 9, ZL 17, AFS-Level 9,11,12,13,14 just doesn't sound possible.

That was the normal time for downing the image tiles. GeoConverting is another story. This takes approx. 2.5 hours.

The same happened to me 2 days ago. Google loaded about 10 times faster.

I just tried with Google: 19 minutes download time (ZL 17)

I just carried out an experiment size 9 tile over Wales using Bing zoom level 16 which is my usual download AFS levels 9, 11, 12 and 13.

It took 13 minutes to complete the download, my internet speed is 30 MBs

Lucky you. Bing is still every slow, even with ZL 16 (Yellowstone NP).

• Bonjour à tous,

J'espère que mon message en français sera compris.

J'essaye d'installer aeroscenery 1.1.1 beta mais je ne vois pas de dossier database.

J'ai donc une erreur fatale.
    un peu d'aide serait la bienvenue.

Merci.

• Re:

I'have found origin of my problem
    The security of windows is too high, i desactivate the antivirus and the prog run very well.

I have to find how to modify my parameters to have a little protection.

• Hi, I seem to be getting this error on startup with both the MSI and ZIP version...

unable to open database file

at System.Data.SQLite.SQLite3.Open(String strFilename, String vfsName, SQLiteConnectionFlags connectionFlags, SQLiteOpenFlagsEnum openFlags, Int32 maxPoolSize, Boolean usePool)

at System.Data.SQLite.SQLiteConnection.Open()

at AeroScenery.Data.SqlLiteDataRepository.UpgradeSchema() in D:\Work\AeroScenery\Source\AeroScenery\Data\SqlLiteDataRepository.cs:line 232

at AeroScenery.AeroSceneryManager.Initialize() in D:\Work\AeroScenery\Source\AeroScenery\AeroSceneryManager.cs:line 139

at AeroScenery.Program.Main() in D:\Work\AeroScenery\Source\AeroScenery\Program.cs:line 36

I am a software engineer and personally used SQL lite 3 myself, what I can understand is why it is looking at "D:\work", I have a D drive but it has no files on, was used a "backup drive"? Why is it defaulting to there?

Thanks

Andy

• Hi, I seem to be getting this error on startup with both the MSI and ZIP version...

It's failing to create and open an SQL lite database in your Windows "My Documents\AeroScenery" folder.

Why that should be case, I'm not sure. Try running as Administrator to see if it's a permissions issue?

Delete anything already in "My Documents\AeroScenery".

(Use the zip version in the first post of this thread).

"D:\work" is where the source file was that the exception is generated from. (I should be catching and handling that exception with a more friendly error message).

AeroScenery - Easily create photoreal scenery for Aerofly

• Just a question on that SQL thingy. I had to reinstall MS Office a few days ago, which actually isn't a big thing. At this point the 32 bit version refused to install because I have a 64 bit Access SQL database (or something similar - I don't recall the exact wording) already installed. Did this come with AeroScenery?

Not a big deal, I just installed the 64 bit version of Office working fine now. However, I recall these might have issues in cooperating with some 32 bit plugins. At least I had such issues with Office 64 bit some years ago.

Kind regards, Michael

Intel i7-6700K 4.0 GHz / Asus MAXIMUS VIII RANGER / Kingston 32 GB DDR4 / Samsung SSD M.2 500 GB + Samsung SSD 1 TB + Intel SSD 500 GB (AeroflyFS2) + WD HD 6 TB / EVGA GTX 1080Ti 11 GB / LG 34UM95 3440 x 1440 / HP Reverb / Win 10/64

• Ok, thanks Nick, then some other program must have installed it. As I said, not an issue so far anyway.

Kind regards, Michael

Intel i7-6700K 4.0 GHz / Asus MAXIMUS VIII RANGER / Kingston 32 GB DDR4 / Samsung SSD M.2 500 GB + Samsung SSD 1 TB + Intel SSD 500 GB (AeroflyFS2) + WD HD 6 TB / EVGA GTX 1080Ti 11 GB / LG 34UM95 3440 x 1440 / HP Reverb / Win 10/64

• Hello Nick,

There are so many different threads on this forum about AeroScenery that I'm sure you can't see them all. I made a post earlier today but it got sucked up into a previous post that I made a few weeks ago so I'm sure you would never see it. I am going to post it here and delete the other one.

Would it be possible to add Grid 7 to your outstanding AeroScenery program? We will have ATC capability in Aerofly FS2 very soon and I can see lots of folk wishing to add some low res basic scenery to some large areas to connect some of the major airports.

I would like to try something like USGS Level 15 (4.77m/pix, Grid Square 7, maybe Level 9, 11, and12) for some fly-over scenery that covers a wide area but, doesn't need a whole new drive for storage.

Whatta you think? Is this something that may be workable? I available for beta testing. 8o\

and this was stuck in the other thread also and I wanted you to read it.

I think I need to tell the community how much I am enjoying Nick's AeroScenery now that we can get USGS scenery in the USA. Yea, I know, it is only the basic resolution but, that is a whole lot better than what Google and Bing had to offer. We can always add a small area from Google or Bing for airports and such.

Now that Tom has taught me how to use some of the finer details to alter and clean up the scenery, life is much better. I have a lot of lakes to clean up and recolor and a few other blemishes and a stray cloud on the ground.

Not that we don't still need a little more work to patch those blank pixels that show up way too often in the USGS scenery. It looks like a hiccup when downloading the data. Redo it and it may or may not be the same pixel that is out to lunch.

Anyway, thank Nick for a truly wonderful product and so easy to use. Oh yea, Elevations are still to come.

• There are so many different threads on this forum about AeroScenery that I'm sure you can't see them all. I made a post earlier today but it got sucked up into a previous post that I made a few weeks ago so I'm sure you would never see it. I am going to post it here and delete the other one.

Would it be possible to add Grid 7 to your outstanding AeroScenery program?

Unfortunately not. When I started Aeroscenery, I based the level 9 size on being near the size of a Ortho4XP grid square which I had used before.

Quite a lot of things in the app depend on that base size of level 9, and it would take some work to change that.

I know it's a few more clicks, but you can still select 16 level 9 squares at ZL15, build them with GeoConvert at level 9 only, and you'll have a large area, quickly created, without using much disk space.

I must admit I don't know the altitude cutoffs where Aerofly displays a certain level of scenery (i.e. at what point would it show the very basic default level 7 scenery over the level 9 scenery described above - if at all).

As I only fly GA I never reach it, or maybe it will always use a minimum of level 9 if available.

I noted that most add-on scenery includes a minimum of level 9.

I will take a look at the blank pixels in USGS scenery though. I thought that one was fixed.

• I must admit I don't know the altitude cutoffs where Aerofly displays a certain level of scenery (i.e. at what point would it show the very basic default level 7 scenery over the level 9 scenery described above - if at all).

As I only fly GA I never reach it, or maybe it will always use a minimum of level 9 if available.

I noted that most add-on scenery includes a minimum of level 9.

I will take a look at the blank pixels in USGS scenery though. I thought that one was fixed.

Hi Nick,

This is quite true in Europe or US where default IPACS texture are good enough (generally free of clouds and major artefacts) for the Level 9 vs Level 7 difference to be imperceptible, but the cutoff distance is not so far.

This becomes highly visible where default IPACS textures are poor.

For instance, my Caribic scenery (Petites Antilles) requested me to generate Level 7 too, otherwise Level 9 scenery pops up in the distance when flying GA from an island to the next one, even as low as 5'000ft (default IPACS textures are scattered with clouds).

Anyway, I assume one can easily group several Level 9 tiles in Aeroscenery and manually add the section in the TMC file for geoconverting Level 7...

Cheers

Antoine

Config : i7 6900K - 20MB currently set at 3.20GHz, Cooling Noctua NH-U14S, Motherboard ASUS Rampage V Extreme U3.1, RAM HyperX Savage Black Edition 16GB DDR4 3000 MHz, Graphic Card Gigabyte GeForce GTX 1080 8GB, Power supply Corsair RM Series 850W, Windows 10 64 bit.

• This becomes highly visible where default IPACS textures are poor.

For instance, my Caribic scenery (Petites Antilles) requested me to generate Level 7 too, otherwise Level 9 scenery pops up in the distance when flying GA from an island to the next one, even as low as 5'000ft (default IPACS textures are scattered with clouds).

That's interesting, thanks.

I take another look to see what I can do to generate level 7 output. As you say, it could just use level 9 areas as input.

• OK. Thanks for the explanation of why not. I appreciate your patience with requests coming from all directions. I really don't know what I would do if I didn't have AeroScenery and fsCloudPort. These two free program are what has kept many, many users in the FS2 fold while it slooooooooooooowly develops.

It is 5am in Mississippi and I got up about 2 hours ago and decided that I needed to add Charlotte, NC airport (5th largest in the US). It took maybe 10 minutes to add the basic runways, a few buildings and some tanks using fsCP, another 30 minutes to add one grid 9 using USGS 16 (9-13) and the colors are great using Tom's correction sheet. KCLT is stuck in the upper right corner of the grid 9 and the city is in the adjacent grid to the East. 3 major runways are N/S so I decided I needed to make a square of 4 grid 9s to cover the airport, the approaches and the city. I can geoconver 6 concurrent grid 9s and work on other stuff at the same time. I will have the new airport and the 4 grid 9s done prior to morning coffee. Can't beat that. Thanks a million. 8o

I assume one can easily group several Level 9 tiles in Aeroscenery and manually add the section in the TMC file for geoconverting Level 7...

Cheers

Antoine

Antoine,

Could you explain this statement in more detail? Even though Nick is correct that it is just a few more clicks to make a larger block of grid 9s in to an equivalent grid 7, those grid 9 look quite small when you look at the big picture.

• Antoine,

Could you explain this statement in more detail? Even though Nick is correct that it is just a few more clicks to make a larger block of grid 9s in to an equivalent grid 7, those grid 9 look quite small when you look at the big picture.

Please refer to my unofficial AFS2 Geoconvert knowhow base document for tiles size and AFS2 Levels, everything is detailed.

(also available on Flight-Sim.org if the link isn't active anymore)

Cheers

Antoine

What you can do also is use Vogel69's AFS2 grid Generator (available on Flight-Sim.org) to generate a kml file of your scenery area in Levels 7 and 9.

You open both of them in Google Earth to display the corresponding tiles with their name and coordinates, then you know exactly what Level 9 tiles to process with Aeroscenery.

Cheers

Antoine

Config : i7 6900K - 20MB currently set at 3.20GHz, Cooling Noctua NH-U14S, Motherboard ASUS Rampage V Extreme U3.1, RAM HyperX Savage Black Edition 16GB DDR4 3000 MHz, Graphic Card Gigabyte GeForce GTX 1080 8GB, Power supply Corsair RM Series 850W, Windows 10 64 bit.

• Hello, nick.

what get to do, start the geoconverter manually after load pictures?

i have to change the textures of the airfield, because the airfield changes, in Bing and google there are still old sat pictures.

thanks for the info

After i have downloaded the images and repaint, what to do for start geoconvert tool

regards uli

Edited once, last by uli057 (November 14, 2019 at 9:24 AM).

• Hello, nick.

what get to do, start the geoconverter manually after load pictures?

i have to change the textures of the airfield, because the airfield changes, in Bing and google there are still old sat pictures.

Hi,

In the left sidebar you can select which tasks you want to run if you change the drop down to "Choose Actions To Run".

Just uncheck everything apart from "Run GeoConvert" and only GeoConvert will be run against your existing data.

• Hi, Nick.

thank you, i found this, use autorun, but.

Is there a log file I can send you?

The following problem.

In the program I see working grid sqaure 4 from 77.

but in the geoconverter module it often stops, example:

percent complet 29%

num level 1 of 2

current level 12

numtiles 320 ..... and there he stops.

I notice that the hard disk is still working in the background, but the counter doesn't run any further.

And I have to restart at every level... so escape...and then it starts to convert again.

And, why is there not a single ttx texture in the folder, and why are the jpeg all duplicated in the directory structure?

my system:

Win 10 x64

FSX and Aerofly and PD3 v4 install

SDk Aerofly and sdk FSX

Scenproc

Aeroscenery

FSET

modellconverter

obj installer

regards uli

• The following problem.

In the program I see working grid sqaure 4 from 77.

but in the geoconverter module it often stops, example:

Unfortunately GeoConvert is an IPACS app and it is, in my opinion, full of bugs. There seems to be no interest from IPACS to fix them.

AeroScenery has to try to detect when GeoConvert is done (as it doesn't send any signal). It's sub-optimal to say the least.

What I would recommend is:

- Run every other task apart from GeoConvert and let them complete successfully. You'll get good error logging for any AeroScenery (not GeoConvert) problem).

- Run GeoConvert while you're away from your PC. Don't move the window, Don't start other apps. This seems to be the cause of most issues.

- Try fewer than 77 squares for a GeoConvert run. Try one at first to confirm it works, then build up.