krzysk1 data dump!?

• So Krysk1 has just dumped a mass O' data into the fs2 world with no warning I'm aware of. Have not had a chance to take a look as to quality, but....... wow!

World Seaports: https://github.com/krzysk1/world_seaports

World Heliports: https://github.com/krzysk1/world_heliports

World Airports: https://github.com/krzysk1/world_airports

World (grass) Airfields: https://github.com/krzysk1/world_airfields

Could be a game-changer!

Devons rig

Intel Core i5-13600K - Core i5 13th Gen 14-Core (6P+8E) @ 5.5Ghz / G.SKILL Trident Z5 RGB Series 32GB RAM DDR5 6000 / GIGABYTE GeForce RTX 4070Ti GAMING OC 12G / Sound Blaster Z / Oculus Quest 2 VR Headset / Klipsch® Promedia 2.1 Computer Speakers / ASUS ROG SWIFT PG279Q ‑ 27" IPS LED Monitor ‑ QHD / 6x Samsung SSD/NVME's various sizes / Windows 11 Pro 64-bit / GIGABYTE Z790 AORUS ELITE AX LGA 1700 ATX Motherboard DDR5

Edited once, last by HiFlyer (July 30, 2019 at 3:27 PM).

• :thumbup:

Will have to check this to believe it.

Kind regards, Michael

Intel i7-6700K 4.0 GHz / Asus MAXIMUS VIII RANGER / Kingston 32 GB DDR4 / Samsung SSD M.2 500 GB + Samsung SSD 1 TB + Intel SSD 500 GB (AeroflyFS2) + WD HD 6 TB / EVGA GTX 1080Ti 11 GB / LG 34UM95 3440 x 1440 / HP Reverb / Win 10/64

• A word of caution.

Be careful not to simply copy these files to your active AFS2 data drive. These are basic tsc files with location data but, Aerofly FS2 does not handle duplicates very well so if you already have some of these airports or airfields, which most of us do, then you might have trouble isolating the files to get FS2 to run again.

You need some sort of duplicate finder that searches for tsc files. It is the lat lon of the airport or airfield, not just the name that FS2 is seeking when loading.

:thumbup:

Will have to check this to believe it.

Kind regards, Michael

Michael,

I think you will be surprised. These appear to be a lot of small, basically unknown, airports in the world airports folder. Not the large, well known ones.

I suggest you might want to create a new folder for your airport data with subfolders for krzysk1's Airports, Airfields, Heliports, and SeaPorts. Otherwise the states will be duplicated. This is allow you a sneak peek at what you are loading onto your system. If it is undesirable, it will be easy to undo.

• I think it's good that Krysk1 provides many airfields with basic data.

But for new and inexperienced players, it's getting harder and harder to understand. I think it would be nice if IPAC could include information in its wiki that says

- there are different data sources and

- duplicates don't get along very well.

In the "order of the offered data" I see from simply to extensive:

- airfields of Krysk1 with basic data

- airfields on FSCloudPort with standard objects

- airfields on FSCloudPort with improved (standard objects)

- Airfields individually created on flight-sim.org

- Aerodromes operated by commercial operators

Bye, Michael (III)

Tschüss, Michael (🍎🚁)

Configurations:

- MacBook Pro (16", 2021); Chip: Apple M1 Max; actual macOS || Thrustmaster TCA AIRBUS EDITION: 1x Sidestick, 2x Quadrant, 2x Quadrant Add-On || Pro-Flight-Trainer PUMA X

- iPad (12,9", 4th Generation, RAM: 6 GB); actual iOS || nimbus steelseries

• That's one of the things I immediately thought of which is why I'm not in a huge rush to download these quite yet . I suspect there will be weird conflicts here and there , and I'm too deep into my reintroduction to the world of Skyrim and the subsequent dampening of my interest in Flight Sim, at least temporarily , that I'm not up for exploring airport conflicts right now .

Still, this is a very interesting development.

I did a post a couple of weeks ago about the rapidly growing potential for conflicts , and about some naming conventions for avoiding same . I even requested that the post be stickied.

All ignored.... So..... meh. 8o

Devons rig

Intel Core i5-13600K - Core i5 13th Gen 14-Core (6P+8E) @ 5.5Ghz / G.SKILL Trident Z5 RGB Series 32GB RAM DDR5 6000 / GIGABYTE GeForce RTX 4070Ti GAMING OC 12G / Sound Blaster Z / Oculus Quest 2 VR Headset / Klipsch® Promedia 2.1 Computer Speakers / ASUS ROG SWIFT PG279Q ‑ 27" IPS LED Monitor ‑ QHD / 6x Samsung SSD/NVME's various sizes / Windows 11 Pro 64-bit / GIGABYTE Z790 AORUS ELITE AX LGA 1700 ATX Motherboard DDR5

• When I had a chance to look upon (and judge) the airports myself, I will make a "World" category on the

Freeware list

with a short explanation on the hierarchy. Not everyone will look into the list, but it may help. It's certainly confusing for the beginner.

Kind regards, Michael

Intel i7-6700K 4.0 GHz / Asus MAXIMUS VIII RANGER / Kingston 32 GB DDR4 / Samsung SSD M.2 500 GB + Samsung SSD 1 TB + Intel SSD 500 GB (AeroflyFS2) + WD HD 6 TB / EVGA GTX 1080Ti 11 GB / LG 34UM95 3440 x 1440 / HP Reverb / Win 10/64

• When I had a chance to look upon (and judge) the airports myself, I will make a "World" category on the

Freeware list

with a short explanation on the hierarchy. Not everyone will look into the list, but it may help. It's certainly confusing for the beginner.

Kind regards, Michael

Michael,

I haven't looked at the WORLD lists in detail, but, the adjacent states to me have nothing more than cow pastures and ultralight areas, not enough to be considered an airport. For instance, when I look at Louisiana, Mississippi and Alabama there is not one real airport listed. They are all crop duster barns, ultralight back yards, some obscure flying service, etc. AND this is the World Airport List, I can't imagine what is in the Grass Airfields folder. 8o

• My tests and observations so far:

I very quickly checked some airfields in West Wales that I know very well.

From what I see which is very little, yes they do show up on the "Location" in FS 2.

At the airfields there are no built RW and maybe a control tower.

PS. All removed for now..........................................

Best wishes, Michael :)

Edited once, last by IZ0JUB (July 30, 2019 at 3:13 PM).

• Another thing to consider is the performance impact on your system should you load the entire data files. Even though each file is quite small, Torsten has stated that one of the primary causes of slow startup time is the number of tsc files that the system has to read.

• I think 'dump' is the correct word... Although I sort of appreciate krzysk1's efforts I can't say his files are a welcome addition: most of his planes are basic flying models without any functionality (and sometimes bugs) and these airports may make a mess of your AFS2 install before you know it. A big sticker saying USE AT YOUR OWN RISK would be appropriate. I'd prefer it if krzysk1 would focus on one or two planes and one or two airports and make them really useful instead of dumping all this stuff on the internet.

Edited once, last by Flamingpie: Corrected krzysk's name. (July 30, 2019 at 3:45 PM).

• Michael,

I haven't looked at the WORLD lists in detail, but, the adjacent states to me have nothing more than cow pastures and ultralight areas, not enough to be considered an airport. For instance, when I look at Louisiana, Mississippi and Alabama there is not one real airport listed. They are all crop duster barns, ultralight back yards, some obscure flying service, etc. AND this is the World Airport List, I can't imagine what is in the Grass Airfields folder. 8o

Though if there is one thing we have learned about Krzysk1, its that a steady stream of updates is the norm.....

Devons rig

Edited once, last by HiFlyer (July 30, 2019 at 3:28 PM).

• HiFlyer July 30, 2019 at 3:27 PM

Changed the title of the thread from “Krysk1 data dump!?” to “krzysk1 data dump!?”.
  • I've done similar stuff long time before, converting P3D afcad data into AFFS2. I would not include it since it lengthen the loading time a lot.

This only makes sense for designers as a starting point, that is why I didn't publish it.

Wish for Aerofly FS 2/4:

- Flightpath recording on hard drive and replay in sim from different view points

- Smoke for aerobatic planes

- Multiplayer or at least watching other people flying sitting on ground or inside tower

• At least one can say, that it is a huge project:

For Germany I can say, that the big airports are also contained, each with a tower and a beacon light. Also with heli and parking positions.

BUT: the warning not to install them all is absolutely correct:

You will produce duplicates and a slow AFS2 start.

Thomas

Cheers, Thomas

Edited once, last by TomSimMuc (July 30, 2019 at 7:08 PM).

• I just added a listing of the airports hierarchy plus a short explanation to the

AeroflyFS2 Freeware List

Would you think this makes sense, or is it more confusing than enlightening...?;)

Kind regards, Michael

• I personally do not see much usefulness in having the "no-name" airports mixed in with the full list of supposedly Airports of the World. I have no idea how to cull the list to make it more useful. I guess my first question is where are the main or first line airports? Why are they not in the data base?

I would think the likelihood of a novice adding the full list to his airport file and then not knowing how to find the duplicates and then which are valid and which should be deleted.

• I just added a listing of the airports hierarchy plus a short explanation to the

AeroflyFS2 Freeware List

Would you think this makes sense, or is it more confusing than enlightening...?;)

Kind regards, Michael

Moin Michael (II),

I think it's a good way you did it, thank you for that.

Does it make sense?

I think it's definitely better than it was before.

Of course, it's even better if the AFSF2-Wiki present the scope and content of the individual offer groups in a more detailed article.

My intention is to help the beginners to classify the many offers correctly. When I think of my start at the beginning of 2019, I would have wished for a helping guideline. Only after months of try and error I can now unterstand the different offers.

One will always be able to see it one way or the other, so that I consider your approach to be at least helpful.

Tschüss, Michael

Tschüss, Michael (🍎🚁)

Configurations:

- MacBook Pro (16", 2021); Chip: Apple M1 Max; actual macOS || Thrustmaster TCA AIRBUS EDITION: 1x Sidestick, 2x Quadrant, 2x Quadrant Add-On || Pro-Flight-Trainer PUMA X

• If you use my Bavarian Cultivation addon you het already around 400 airfields in this area. Good luck looking gor ghe duplicates. ;)

Wish for Aerofly FS 2/4:

- Flightpath recording on hard drive and replay in sim from different view points

- Smoke for aerobatic planes

- Multiplayer or at least watching other people flying sitting on ground or inside tower

• My intention is to help the beginners to classify the many offers correctly. When I think of my start at the beginning of 2019, I would have wished for a helping guideline. Only after months of try and error I can now unterstand the different offers.

And I can only see that getting worse and worse as addons proliferate with no established rules.

Devons rig

• If you use my Bavarian Cultivation addon you het already around 400 airfields in this area. Good luck looking gor ghe duplicates. ;)

Duplicates = Multiplayer :?::/:S8)

Tschüss, Michael (🍎🚁)

Configurations: