relative positions instead of absolute positions (heliports on ships)

• Heliports on earth and on buildings can be easily set up by entering the corresponding absolute coordinates into the tsc file as position. Basically this also works for ships.

However, the absolute position of a ship are bad as position for the heliport, if you rotate the ship in alignment and/or position it on a different latitude. In both cases it is necessary to recalculate each absolute position. It would be better to enter the direction and the distance relative to the basic positioning in the tsc file (see line 9 in the code).

Since I did not find anything in the Wiki and with the search function, I ask here the question whether and how this works.

For a better understanding I have attached a tsc-file as an example with the ship USNS Patuxent:

• line 9:
      this is the position of the tsc-file
    • line 20:
      in this case is the center of the ship in the same position as the tsc-file so the absolute coordinates are no problem
    • line 32:
      on equator is the heliport 100 m east of the center of the ship
      on 45 °N is the heliport only 71 m east of the centre of the ship
      on both poles is the heliport in the center of the ship

Bye, Michael

Tschüss, Michael (🍎🚁)

Configurations:

- MacBook Pro (16", 2021); Chip: Apple M1 Max; actual macOS || Thrustmaster TCA AIRBUS EDITION: 1x Sidestick, 2x Quadrant, 2x Quadrant Add-On || Pro-Flight-Trainer PUMA X

- iPad (12,9", 4th Generation, RAM: 6 GB); actual iOS || nimbus steelseries

• When (and if) we add moving ships with helipads on them this will probably come naturally. As of today I don't see this being used much and it takes a few hours to set this up and test it without any improvement to the core.

It might be easier to set up a calculation table (excel, libre office) where you can plug in lon/lat coordinates and a rotation if you need to do this more often.

Regards,

Jan

• Hi Jan,

thank you very much for your answer. Too bad that there is nothing yet. I had thought that you already have relational positions with the airplanes, which one could use now also with ships directly.

The creation of a table is not necessary, because with the tool Geo Coordinates this can be calculated sufficiently exactly both in dependence of the direction and the degree of latitude. I must only pay attention to indicate the absolute distances in the annotation, so that everyone can calculate the absolute position data.

Bye, Michael

Tschüss, Michael (🍎🚁)

Configurations:

- MacBook Pro (16", 2021); Chip: Apple M1 Max; actual macOS || Thrustmaster TCA AIRBUS EDITION: 1x Sidestick, 2x Quadrant, 2x Quadrant Add-On || Pro-Flight-Trainer PUMA X

- iPad (12,9", 4th Generation, RAM: 6 GB); actual iOS || nimbus steelseries