Nav Data Update for Aerofly?

• We want to offer a solution that works for all of our customers and only a small minority of users know what Navigraph is. We need one consistent navigation database across all of our platforms to allow new features like new approach procedures or shareable user-defined routes to work on all of our platforms.

• We want to offer a solution that works for all of our customers and only a small minority of users know what Navigraph is. We need one consistent navigation database across all of our platforms to allow new features like new approach procedures or shareable user-defined routes to work on all of our platforms.

I’d beg to differ regarding “a small minority” - Navigraph is pretty much the de facto for the sim world. Why re-invent the wheel?

• Navigraph is pretty much the de facto for the sim world

I think Jet Pack means only a small minority of the flight sim world knows what Navigraph is. Of all the buyers of (for instance) FSX maybe 5% know what Navigraph is. The people who participate on forums like AVSIM simply are a small minority of the people who own a flight sim. In the dedicated die hard sim world Navigraph is indeed the de facto but that doesn't change the fact that most virtual pilots have no idea what it is.

• I guess the opposite is the case, most of the people know that for updating their navdata, they have either navigraph or navdata pro ;-)

I assume that Jetpack meant that only a small minority of the aerofly flightsim world know what navigraph is ...

X-Plane 11.3x / DCS 2.5.4 / P3Dv4.5 / Aerofly FS 2

Win10-x64 | ASUS Z270E | Intel i7-7700K @4.5GHz | Corsair Vengeance LPX 32 GB DDR4 | 6TB SSD Samsung 850 Pro | ASUS GTX 1080 ROG STRIX 8GB DDR5X | TM Hotas Warthog | Saitek Combat Pedals | Oculus Rift S

• I think flamingpie had it right the first time.

Devons rig

Intel Core i7 8700K @ 5.0GHz / 32.0GB G.SKILL TridentZ Series Dual-Channel Ram / ZOTAC GAMING GeForce® RTX 2080 Ti Triple Fan / Sound Blaster Z / Oculus Rift VR Headset / Klipsch® Promedia 2.1 Computer Speakers / ASUS ROG SWIFT PG279Q ‑ 27" IPS LED Monitor ‑ QHD / 2x Samsung SSD 850 EVO 500GB / Windows 10 Pro 64-bit /Gigabyte Z370 AORUS Gaming 5 Motherboard

• I think Jet Pack means only a small minority of the flight sim world knows what Navigraph is. Of all the buyers of (for instance) FSX maybe 5% know what Navigraph is. The people who participate on forums like AVSIM simply are a small minority of the people who own a flight sim. In the dedicated die hard sim world Navigraph is indeed the de facto but that doesn't change the fact that most virtual pilots have no idea what it is.

Yep, totally agree. But for those that care about Nav data (which is what the OP seems to want, as do quite a few of us), Navigraph is at least one of the obvious choices. Those simmers that aren’t really all that concerned with Nav Data and just enjoy the flying won’t care whatever solution is implemented. So, why not just implement a well known system for those of us that do care enough?

• It's not as easy as snapping your fingers, it takes quite some time to implement a connection to the outside in a way that works reliable and fast and it still creates a discrepancy between the average user and someone that has a Navigraph subscription and this could make some upcoming features unavailable for either user group. Instead of adding support for the few customers that actively use Navigraph we would prefer to offer a solution that works for everyone.

I already have a lot of questions that would pop up if we start implementing such a system:

"Will this work with either database?", "Now we have to test everything twice, once per database", "Now we have to check that everything still works after each navigation database update", "How do we save the user credentials securely so that they don't have to sign in all the time", "Do we have secure internet access protocols?", "How can we convert the navigraph database into a format that we can load quickly", "Are we even allowed to do that?", "Are we allowed to save their database locally for eternity or do we also have to check if the user is still signed in and still has a valid subscription every time aerofly is started". "What happens when there is no internet connection to check that", "How do we prevent users from copying the database from one pc to the other", "Does that work on Mac?", "Does it work on mobile?", "How big is the file size for the database, is that too big for a mobile app?", "Are they ever going to change their navigation database format and how often does it happen". "What happens to my saved flight plans or flights when I switch the database source (if that is added)", "How can I share a flight-plan to a user that doesn't have a navigraph subscription (if that feature gets added)", "What happens if two people share a cockpit (if that is added) when one of them doesn't have the navigation database, is one of them seeing a different route when flying or what?", "Would it be allowed to send that other user parts of the navigraph database to allow a synchronized flight?", "When flying on multiplayer (if this is added) and also AI traffic on (if this is added) which route is AI traffic going to pick? Will the traffic still be in sync for all machines?"...

If there is only one active navigation database for everyone there are fewer conflicts like that.

• The X-Plane implementation seems pretty spot-on, e.g. “Here’s an old but workable set of Navigraph Nav Data. If you’re happy with that, cool and enjoy your flying. If you want something more current, you can subscribe to Navigraph”.

You don’t have to store credentials or anything like that - I’m almost certain Navigraph would be happy to auto-insert their data into your sim as they do with every other sim/add-on that supports it. The more the merrier for them.

From your comments above, I’d say you’re over-thinking this - a workable solution already exists for you.