Problem with the GNS 430

• Does anybody else have a problem with the GNS 430? It freezes, make the game crash, make the game stutter and other weird stuff. I have seen YouTube videos of others having some of the same issues so it's not just me. So is it broken for everyone or just a few?

Best regards

Ronny

• Could you link some of those videos?

Devons rig

Intel Core i5-13600K - Core i5 13th Gen 14-Core (6P+8E) @ 5.5Ghz / G.SKILL Trident Z5 RGB Series 32GB RAM DDR5 6000 / GIGABYTE GeForce RTX 4070Ti GAMING OC 12G / Sound Blaster Z / Oculus Quest 2 VR Headset / Klipsch® Promedia 2.1 Computer Speakers / ASUS ROG SWIFT PG279Q ‑ 27" IPS LED Monitor ‑ QHD / 6x Samsung SSD/NVME's various sizes / Windows 11 Pro 64-bit / GIGABYTE Z790 AORUS ELITE AX LGA 1700 ATX Motherboard DDR5

• I was disappointed the JF Duchess 76 for AFS2 was not upgraded to the IPACS in house GNS530. Fortunately, it is still possible in a future update, provided someone in authority says “do it”.

• As far as I know the Duchess 76 features the latest IPACS GPS430 which offers pretty much the same as the 530 just on a smaller screen.

There may be an update available for you?

Regarding the crashes: if anyone can reproduce this with the latest version then I can fix it. Some users reported crashes when using the GPS but I have never been able to reproduce them but I found a discrepancy in the code between the released version and my version which could have explained crashes in older versions of the Duchess and Aerofly FS 2. But there shouldn't be any crashes in the latest version and if there are, how can I reproduce them?

• But there shouldn't be any crashes in the latest version and if there are, how can I reproduce them?

I’m kind of stupid, so I tend to press the wrong button when I want to hold Clear for a fast return to the main menu. Can’t remember which one. But when I do, the game crashes. But the main problem is that the moving map freezes. And that is every time I use the GPS...

• I can link one that I remember on the top of my head. It's from Progmr's channel when he tries the Duchess. He talks about the moving map freezing at around 7.30. I've seen another video too describing the same, but I can't remember which one. This happens with me also every time I try to use the GPS.

https://youtu.be/Ov0MzcGwUUA

I love prgrmr! Not least since he is just like me and messes up constantly. His viewers often have to correct him on what he did wrong on a given video, so while I find him entertaining, he's probably not the best example.

Devons rig

Intel Core i5-13600K - Core i5 13th Gen 14-Core (6P+8E) @ 5.5Ghz / G.SKILL Trident Z5 RGB Series 32GB RAM DDR5 6000 / GIGABYTE GeForce RTX 4070Ti GAMING OC 12G / Sound Blaster Z / Oculus Quest 2 VR Headset / Klipsch® Promedia 2.1 Computer Speakers / ASUS ROG SWIFT PG279Q ‑ 27" IPS LED Monitor ‑ QHD / 6x Samsung SSD/NVME's various sizes / Windows 11 Pro 64-bit / GIGABYTE Z790 AORUS ELITE AX LGA 1700 ATX Motherboard DDR5

Edited once, last by HiFlyer (August 9, 2019 at 12:46 PM).

• I was disappointed the JF Duchess 76 for AFS2 was not upgraded to the IPACS in house GNS530. Fortunately, it is still possible in a future update, provided someone in authority says “do it”.

The latest update brought the in houe GNS to the Duchess already. And I can confirm the freezing of the moving map but to me it only happens when I've switched to a few other screens. I can read messages (like which course to set) without any problems but if I go to the other pages the moving map freezes when I go back to it indeed. So far I've not been able to find out exactly which page causes that freeze. And btw sometimes I can refresh the map by switching to another page and back again but although the map has been updated it is still frozen. I never encountered crashes though. And the map never freezes if I leave the GNS alone (which I tend do to up to now because of this). Afaik the FPL page also doesn't freeze the map but as I've said elsewhere that page is a bit useless because it doesn't show the planned courses.

• OK, so just the map on the GNS freezes and nothing else? (That's good news I guess)

Are there other aircraft where this happens? And is this the moving map with the ground textures or just the map with the airport icons and route (overlayed onto the map)?

Where are you flying and does this happen with or without a flight plan?

• I got the game to crash again fiddling with the direct-to button, but only once so I don't know why this happens.

The mapfreeze came when I had a flight plan and entered the "nearest" menu. It was the icon and route map. Forgot to check the ground texture map.

I was flying in Florida with the Duchess. Haven't checked the other planes.

• Again, if you can tell me the exact steps how to get there then I can fix it.

Hi, this was my experience:

1. Load a flightplan in the Navigation menu inside AFS2. My plan was from Santa Barbara Airport to Monterey Airport (CA, USA).

2. Select the screen with the airports and navigation aids display.

3. Select different ranges (in NM) to show.

4. Takeoff normally from Santa Barbara.

5. Select different screens in the GNS.

6. Let it go, and at some point it'll start to freeze (will probably require some patience).

Cheers, Ed

• Please be more specific because each click matters in cases like this bug.

1. Which runway did you take off from at KSBA? Which runway did you select for the approach in Monterey? Did you have any VORs enroute?

2. Which of the three screens with airports and navigation aids did you select? The default navigation (the one loaded at the beginning, the one with the next waypoint info on the right or the one with the moving map?

3. Which exact ranges did you step to? E.g. maximum range?

5. The exact order of pages matters in order to reproduce this. I've hit "random" pages and never had any issues in the past.

6. Is there anything more specific, e.g. how far along the route where you, how close to the destination?

And what is "it" when you say it'll freeze? The simulator? The GPS device entirely (e.g. no inputs can be made), the moving map, the labels on the moving map? Is the position on the GPS device frozen? Does the heading still work or not? Does it only affect that one page?

OK, I finally found it and it is a simple single line of code fix as it seems.

To reproduce it I just had to do this: default navigation page -> large ring right once, small ring right once (brings me to WPT destination airport chart) -> large ring left once (back to default navigaiton) and the map position of the overlays is frozen, the rest is still updating, e.g. the track that rotates them and stuff.

So this is just a graphical glitch that happens because the display is setting the target rendering position to the airport position when it draws the airport diagram but when you return back to the normal views it doesn't reset the position back to the aircraft.

To avoid this error: Don't go past the first WPT page.

• Ok, Jan. It seems you've made a good progress, as I was a bit late. Thanks.

Please look at the GNS picture below, that was the page that was frozen in my experience. The simulator didn't frozen, just the progress of the aircraft in the GNS display (in that exact display or screen). I started noticing it after passing the second waypoint (VBG). I don't exactly remember how many times I hit the screens (to select range, WPT informations, select VOR frequencies, etc.), I hit it many times, as I was experimenting with using the GNS and trying to master it.

Now that a big update is being prepared by JF for the Arrows, could it be possible an update from IPACS to the GNS at the same time?.

If you need some more informations, please feel free to ask.

Cheers, Ed

• Now that a big update is being prepared by JF for the Arrows, could it be possible an update from IPACS to the GNS at the same time?.

The benefit of having the GPS code implemented into the core simulator is that we can make changes to the simulator without just flight having to do any extra work and we don't have to make a synchronized update. We can just add this single line of code that I forgot into the sim and then push out a new steam beta and it will automatically get rid of this issue for all users that run the steam version. And this doesn't interfere with their update roll-out plans at all.

• Can you paste the line of code for the DVD users, pls

X-Plane 12.x | DCS 2.5.7 | War Thunder | Aerofly FS4

Win11-x64 | Lenovo Legion T7 34LMZ5 | Intel i7-10700K @3.6GHz | Kingston FuryX RGB 32GB DDR4 PC3733 | 6TB SSD Samsung 850 Pro | 3TB M2 PCI 4x | Gigabyte RTX 3070 Ti Vision OC | TM Hotas Warthog | Saitek Combat Pedals | Reverb G2 V2 | Lenovo Legion Y25g-30 360hz

• And this doesn't interfere with their update roll-out plans at all

Yes, I understand. I was asking if by the time the Arrows update is released one can have your GNS updated as well in the core sim. I don't really know how much time it's required to add that line of code into the sim and pushing an update via Steam.

Thanks for your support.

Cheers, Ed