Time to let your wishes be known

• I would have an application that could interest one or the other Simmer:

- Air refuelling tankers can do their rounds forever in the simulation.:)

Bye, Michael

I won't even list possible application of animation, there are too many.

A parametric set of given paths would be awesome. A set of given paths would be awesome too (one could pick from the set, apply one object and one location). We'll get what we get and rest assured we'll do something with it.

Now tankers, we'd need to have vectoring (radio and radar) and fuel system functional in jets. I'd love that and help work on it if needed.

How about the Nimitz Battle group prowling up and down the East and West coast?

Now that we have somewhat useable aircraft carriers, I wish we'd find a solution for cables and catapults.

For cables maybe we could simulate a steep up slope without the plane moving up. Just an idea.

Maybe Jan has an idea how we could modify the tmb on the fly, or externally (if the hook hits a certain point on the deck, then the brake coeff becomes big or something to that effect).

• Now that we have somewhat useable aircraft carriers, I wish we'd find a solution for cables and catapults.

For cables maybe we could simulate a steep up slope without the plane moving up. Just an idea.

Maybe Jan has an idea how we could modify the tmb on the fly, or externally (if the hook hits a certain point on the deck, then the brake coeff becomes big or something to that effect).

Where can I get my hands on a usable carrier for practice? :)

The latest version that I have of a user made carrier still sucks me below the deck on contact.

That's impossible because of the realistic physics. Nothing in the 3d model can be done to create fake a catch hook or catapult.

I mean you could potentially modify an aircraft in such a way that a "catapult launch" or "catch hook landing" are possible but it's not worth the effort just for the sake of faking it.

By the way.... if anyone can edit that carrier:

The area on the right is ok. I can park there no problem. On the left... not so much.

And this additional surface is the reason why... I guess:

So if you could remove that, that would be great.

Cause then at least we then could do this:

or this:

even if there will be a 0% catch chance it will be kinda cool

• For the carrier of Apollo 50 (in reality USS Horten, in ASFS2 USS Nimitz) I have already found the possibilities to display the 4 catapults and the landing deck. ((see also my articles "relative positions ..." and article "hide some start positions")

I am in the process of determining the distances and bearings for all absolute coordinates so that the aircraft carrier can also be used elsewhere and with a different course. I think I will be able to publish the tsc file soon.

Bye, Michael

To simulate takeoff and landing on a carrier I have these thoughts:

In reality, the aircraft carrier is the active part during catapult take-off (acceleration within 2 seconds) and landing (brake deceleration by the safety ropes within 2 seconds).

In ASFS2 I would transfer the activity to the aircraft as a compromise, because with the F-18 the safety hook can be unfolded already today.

(1) Landing on the carrier:

The braking delay when hooking into a safety rope can be simulated if the safety hook is unfolded during the landing approach and then the wheels have ground contact.

(2) Catapult start:

Similar to landing, you could also work with the safety hook during take-off (even if this is only a temporary solution).

The catapult launch can be accelerated if the safety hook has been unfolded on the ground while stationary. When the landing gear is retracted, the safety hook should also fold in automatically.

Bye, Michael

Tschüss, Michael (🍎🚁)

Configurations:

- MacBook Pro (16", 2021); Chip: Apple M1 Max; actual macOS || Thrustmaster TCA AIRBUS EDITION: 1x Sidestick, 2x Quadrant, 2x Quadrant Add-On || Pro-Flight-Trainer PUMA X

- iPad (12,9", 4th Generation, RAM: 6 GB); actual iOS || nimbus steelseries

• Our other Michael (ussiowa) has some ideas on adapting the papi lights to make them useful for holding the glide path.

That'd be good.:)

I tried to use the PAPI as a replacement for the OLS (optical landing system; nickname "meatball" or "ball"). I can adjust everything so far - except the altitude at flight deck level.

Because for this I have to define a ground and it lifts the complete area around the carrier. :(

Also I don't get the landing deck (angled deck) set to the height of the upper deck for the automatic approach aid of ASFS2 - the automatic landing approach always goes to sea surface (MSL).

Bye, Michael (III)

I am still looking for the possibility to position the frames for the landing aid. This could then be used to practice recovery operations.

Bye, Michael (III)

Tschüss, Michael (🍎🚁)

Configurations:

- MacBook Pro (16", 2021); Chip: Apple M1 Max; actual macOS || Thrustmaster TCA AIRBUS EDITION: 1x Sidestick, 2x Quadrant, 2x Quadrant Add-On || Pro-Flight-Trainer PUMA X

Edited once, last by ApfelFlieger (August 11, 2019 at 1:07 AM).

• Where can I get my hands on a usable carrier for practice? :)

I mean you could potentially modify an aircraft in such a way that a "catapult launch" or "catch hook landing" are possible but it's not worth the effort just for the sake of faking it.

Already answered, Appolo 50, although I haven't tried it, but trustworthy reports from my teammates is that it works.

"just for the sake of faking it". Isn't that the whole point of this software?:P I understand what you mean though.

So if it's realistic physics, wouldn't it be even easier, all we need is to hook up a cable with a given elasticity and dampening effect to the hook upon landing. Everything else will be taken care of automatically?

Same for the catapult, use a shuttle (maybe a transparent vehicle) that hooks the plane up and launches it (given acceleration on trigger)

Our other Michael (ussiowa) has some ideas on adapting the papi lights to make them useful for holding the glide path.

Apfelflieger already has it. Real meatball would be better of course., but that was a quick calculation and mock up if all we have is parametric PAPI lights. We can also do ILS, but I don't know how to do that. I have the meatball data, if one needs.

In the mean time enjoy:

External Content www.youtube.com
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

• Hi, I use aeroflyfs2 for VFR and I would like realistic windsocks. Thx

Ah interesting.

I guess it could be done with some airplane model properly parametered (each section, cannot move other than rotate, etc..) but I don't think FS2 can handle multiple "aircrafts" flying at the same time (unfortunately too, as I can't wait for collaborative flying, if ever), at least with TMD files, animation is different.

Just thinking out loud here.

• Maybe the three users that own 3dMax can make a few pro bono tracks for the general users. 8o

It's sad that on the one hand IPACS actively encourages freeware design but doesn't provide tools to make it easier. There still isn't an export tool for Blender, which is a very powerful modeling tool and it's completely free. 3DS Max is so expensive that only a few people who work professionally with it could possibly afford it. I'd love to try to create a small airport, but I don't see how I could export easily a ground poly made in Blender into AFS 2.

Another thing that keeps me from doing more is that there is no way to easily remove default trees or buildings and put your own scenery on top of the default. In P3D the order of the scenery library defines which scenery gets priority over the other and you can easily create exclusion zones where everything is removed and you can start your own project from scratch. So until we have tools like this freeware development is much harder and limited than it could be.

• I don't think that this will have the most vocal of of support but simulating instrument flying, 100% needs audio identification of the nav-aids. Glass cockpits can display them but for the 737 and 'below' this feature is a screaming omission. From the first lesson in real world instrument flying, confirming the identification of the aid in use is drummed in as a life or death essential.

Including idents will give the Aeroflys an extra level of gravitas and help defuse some of the negative reference/study level snobbery. it will even help us from dialing in the wrong navaid in our sim flights, just what the whole point of them is.

Can this be considered ahead of the next opening door or Easter Egg? It can't be that hard to do, I'm sure MS FS 5.0 had them.

• Hi, I use aeroflyfs2 for VFR and I would like realistic windsocks. Thx

+1

Rain and water effects would be great too

X-Plane 12.x | DCS 2.5.7 | War Thunder | Aerofly FS4

Win11-x64 | Lenovo Legion T7 34LMZ5 | Intel i7-10700K @3.6GHz | Kingston FuryX RGB 32GB DDR4 PC3733 | 6TB SSD Samsung 850 Pro | 3TB M2 PCI 4x | Gigabyte RTX 3070 Ti Vision OC | TM Hotas Warthog | Saitek Combat Pedals | Reverb G2 V2 | Lenovo Legion Y25g-30 360hz

• Water effects in the Bücker Jungmeister Bü133 would be great.;)

Tschüss, Michael (🍎🚁)

Configurations:

• I’d like to be able to search for an airport

This is really needed. Several times I know I want to fly from an airport but, in the case of unfamiliar airports, don't know exactly where it is.

I end up taking off the Oculus, using Google Maps to find the airport, putting the Oculus back on then trying to zoom to the same region.

The location map is a nice interface, but it needs an airport search box.

AeroScenery - Easily create photoreal scenery for Aerofly

• The Lat/Lon reference is at the bottom left corner. It is kinda awkward but most search engines give you the location of an airport using those coordinates. Find one then hold that heading and mouse to the crosshairs.

The fsWidgets QuickPlan has the airport search function along with the DirecTo feature but, you have to know the ICAO identifier.