Weird Encounter IRL

• so im getting my sport pilot's license irl, and i had a flight lesson the other day. I was in my little Cessna 162 Skycatcher with my instructor in the co-pilot's seat next to me. we were doing our run-up checklist when a voice came over the open frequency for our non-towered airport. the voice was really high pitched and sounded like someone inhaled an entire tank of helium. We heared, "Herlong, Cessna november 9 8 9 uniform on final for runway 7". I looked at my instructor and he pressed the back of the joystick. "Cessna november 9 8 9 uniform, please repeat thta last transmission". Again, the voice repeated the transmission with the same pitch. I am still trying to figure out what in the heck happened that day.

• Well, what's weird actually, the high-pitched voice, or the fact you're flying an ill-fated Skycatcher? :D (do not shoot, it's a cheap joke)

There may be several reasons for a high-pitched voice, starting with the pilot's actual voice, or (s)he had mistaken the O2 bottle with an Helium one for his/her high-altitude flight leg... ;)

Anyway, I'd always prefer a clearly readable high-pitched voice rather than some other people chewing their transmissions in a low, bored tone to sound captainish, but in the end of the day you never know what their intentions exactly are...

Good luck with your licence!

Cheers

Antoine

Config : i7 6900K - 20MB currently set at 4.00GHz, Cooling Noctua NH-U14S, Motherboard ASUS Rampage V Extreme U3.1, RAM HyperX Savage Black Edition 16GB DDR4 3000 MHz, Graphic Card Gigabyte GeForce GTX 1080 8GB, Power supply Corsair RM Series 850W, Windows 10 64 bit.

• (...)TBH, I feel like it was a chipmunk on the frequency.:D

Well, it might have been a chipmunk actually - they sometimes fly Cessnas. But then for the sake of their little brain I would not have asked him to say again while on final, I would have waited for him to call vacated runway...

Cheers

Antoine

Config : i7 6900K - 20MB currently set at 4.00GHz, Cooling Noctua NH-U14S, Motherboard ASUS Rampage V Extreme U3.1, RAM HyperX Savage Black Edition 16GB DDR4 3000 MHz, Graphic Card Gigabyte GeForce GTX 1080 8GB, Power supply Corsair RM Series 850W, Windows 10 64 bit.