• so im getting my sport pilot's license irl, and i had a flight lesson the other day. I was in my little Cessna 162 Skycatcher with my instructor in the co-pilot's seat next to me. we were doing our run-up checklist when a voice came over the open frequency for our non-towered airport. the voice was really high pitched and sounded like someone inhaled an entire tank of helium. We heared, "Herlong, Cessna november 9 8 9 uniform on final for runway 7". I looked at my instructor and he pressed the back of the joystick. "Cessna november 9 8 9 uniform, please repeat thta last transmission". Again, the voice repeated the transmission with the same pitch. I am still trying to figure out what in the heck happened that day.

Alexander

• Well, what's weird actually, the high-pitched voice, or the fact you're flying an ill-fated Skycatcher? :D (do not shoot, it's a cheap joke)

There may be several reasons for a high-pitched voice, starting with the pilot's actual voice, or (s)he had mistaken the O2 bottle with an Helium one for his/her high-altitude flight leg... ;)

Anyway, I'd always prefer a clearly readable high-pitched voice rather than some other people chewing their transmissions in a low, bored tone to sound captainish, but in the end of the day you never know what their intentions exactly are...

Good luck with your licence!

Cheers

Antoine

Config : i7 6900K - 20MB currently set at 3.20GHz, Cooling Noctua NH-U14S, Motherboard ASUS Rampage V Extreme U3.1, RAM HyperX Savage Black Edition 16GB DDR4 3000 MHz, Graphic Card Gigabyte GeForce GTX 1080 8GB, Power supply Corsair RM Series 850W, Windows 10 64 bit.

• It pays to be sensitive to other people’s problems which we might not be conscious of.

External Content youtu.be
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

• (...)TBH, I feel like it was a chipmunk on the frequency.:D

Well, it might have been a chipmunk actually - they sometimes fly Cessnas. But then for the sake of their little brain I would not have asked him to say again while on final, I would have waited for him to call vacated runway...

Cheers

Antoine

Config : i7 6900K - 20MB currently set at 3.20GHz, Cooling Noctua NH-U14S, Motherboard ASUS Rampage V Extreme U3.1, RAM HyperX Savage Black Edition 16GB DDR4 3000 MHz, Graphic Card Gigabyte GeForce GTX 1080 8GB, Power supply Corsair RM Series 850W, Windows 10 64 bit.