HP has solved the flickering issue of Reverb

• frui August 26, 2019 at 3:42 PM

Changed the title of the thread from “HP has solved the flickering issue” to “HP has solved the flickering issue of Reverb”.
  • Road2vr is talking about it too, but they don't say anything about Mura. They do talk about "display issues" being fixed. I go back and forth between this and the Index. Today I'm leaning to the Reverb but I wish Microsoft would invest more in WMR the way Oculus and Valve have been innovating on time/space warp etc. I'm seeing plenty of people in the Uk giving prices for this now but I think I'll wait for Amazon.

• Oh dear, i’m losing confidence in the Reverb again........

TLDR = Don’t buy it

External Content youtu.be
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

• ..gaining confidence in the Reverb again.

As for an OLED version ZoSoChile - I think what you mean is an RGB stripe OLED, as the pentile OLED currently in vogue is so wasteful of GPU/resolution by not being able to render a fully coloured pixel in one. I've not heard anything about RGB stripe OLEDs though, either as ready for market or at R&D level. That's why I'm happy to take RGB LCD for the current gen.

https://forums.eagle.ru/showpost.php?p=4023746&postcount=131

• I got a new Reverb for work (Titan RTX) and tried it on my home system to see if it was worth buying one for myself (GTX 1080). Fortunately for my bank balance, I was quite disappointed. It was certainly better than my Acer WMR headset, but I didn't immediately feel like I was using a completely new Sim. The experience was still much the same, albeit clearer in the centre. Colours were better, but I still could not read the instruments in the R22 clearly (didn't have much time to try other aircraft) and the FOV was still small. Chromatic aberration was very noticeable; this may have been more apparent because of the increased resolution. The image was very blurry away from the centre. With TE Netherlands, the 1080 struggled and there was noticeable judder when flying low in built-up areas. This makes me think that we need an improvement in lens design before we will get decent high resolution in VR. Maybe Samsung will crack it with curved displays. I had hoped that the Reverb would be a game-changer, but the Index would probably be the best bet (larger FOV without pushing the required specs too much), if only it had inside-out tracking and a smaller price-tag.

• I got a new Reverb for work (Titan RTX) and tried it on my home system to see if it was worth buying one for myself (GTX 1080). Fortunately for my bank balance, I was quite disappointed. It was certainly better than my Acer WMR headset, but I didn't immediately feel like I was using a completely new Sim. The experience was still much the same, albeit clearer in the centre. Colours were better, but I still could not read the instruments in the R22 clearly (didn't have much time to try other aircraft) and the FOV was still small. Chromatic aberration was very noticeable; this may have been more apparent because of the increased resolution. The image was very blurry away from the centre. With TE Netherlands, the 1080 struggled and there was noticeable judder when flying low in built-up areas. This makes me think that we need an improvement in lens design before we will get decent high resolution in VR. Maybe Samsung will crack it with curved displays. I had hoped that the Reverb would be a game-changer, but the Index would probably be the best bet (larger FOV without pushing the required specs too much), if only it had inside-out tracking and a smaller price-tag.

Oh nooooo. And I thought I'd settled on my decision. I was basically just waiting for Amazon UK to stock it so I had an easy return option. I agree though that lenses are critical. Its funny with all this hope pinned on foveated rendering as it already seems a shame to use so much GPU to generate pixels outside the tiny sweet spot of most HMDs as they're currently very blurry when you glance across with your eyes.

I really don't know now whether I can justify a step up from Odyssey to Index. Same pixel count, but RGB stripe v OLED, so 50% more actual pixels but greyer LCD v OLED. The extra FOV would be nice but opinions on that are very mixed. Lenses are better but again that's subjective.

• I've replaced my Rift with a Reverb and so far I'm happy with it. It's much clearer, almost no screen door, and the inside out tracking is much more reliable (100% so far) than the Rift's outside in tracking.

However, for anything using VR hand controllers you are restricted to the space the cameras can see, and the cable is heavy. I wouldn't even consider using it for room space games which require standing and waving your hands about :)

So, good for simming but not an all rounder IMO. For anyone who wears glasses, if you go for the Reverb you will absolutely need to invest in lenses because glasses do not fit. I got mine from this place, took about 1 week to arrive in UK https://vroptician.com/

• Oh nooooo. And I thought I'd settled on my decision. I was basically just waiting for Amazon UK to stock it so I had an easy return option. I agree though that lenses are critical. Its funny with all this hope pinned on foveated rendering as it already seems a shame to use so much GPU to generate pixels outside the tiny sweet spot of most HMDs as they're currently very blurry when you glance across with your eyes.

I really don't know now whether I can justify a step up from Odyssey to Index. Same pixel count, but RGB stripe v OLED, so 50% more actual pixels but greyer LCD v OLED. The extra FOV would be nice but opinions on that are very mixed. Lenses are better but again that's subjective.

Unfortunately, things like sweet spot, clarity and fov depend on head shape, so everyone's experience is different; nevermind the fact that it's all subjective anyway. I just threw my opinion into the mix of all those others that are out there and am glad that I had the opportunity to try it first. It was certainly a step up, just not worth the investment for me, especially as it would involve a GPU upgrade, which in turn would involve a PSU upgrade.

• I should add that for the purpose we bought it, i.e., public engagement events, it is ideal and the ability to clean and disinfect the padding is essential. I tried it on theBlu, and that was amazing; it made the water look much clearer. More about our work here if anyone is interested: https://sketchfab.com/blogs/communit…oth-tour-story/.

Interestinjg application Graham. What's your IPD by the way? Good point about head shape.

• My IPD is around 64 mm, so pretty optimal. However, I suspect that my eyes are set back a bit further than normal as I tend to get a smaller fov than others (I think you would have to be bug-eyed to get the full fov). One thing I like about the Index is the ability to move the lenses closer. On the Quest, I can see the edges of the display if I remove the padding.

• Another one to consider:

https://www.roadtovr.com/htc-vive-cosmo…pecs-pre-order/

So now my choices are (Rift S added for comparison but that doesn't feel like a real upgrade to me):

HMDRes per eyeOptics / FOVIPD AdjAudioTrackingGPU demandBuild/Fit
    Index1440x1600Supposedly enlarged FOV, improved optics
    and better sweet spot but mixed reports. 90hz & 120hz
    YesBestSteamNormalBest
    Reverb2160x2160Usual FOV/optics sweet spot unknown. Issues with mura.NoWeak?internalHighLooks good
    Cosmos1440x1700Normal FOV. No reviews yetYesBetter?internalNormalNot a fan of halo
    after using Ody
    Rift S1280x1440Normal FOV. Only 80hzNoUsualInternalLowHalo
  • The Cosmos is ticking a lot of boxes for me.

Good resolution compromise, inside-out tracking, realistic price, nice looking controllers, included audio, IPD adjustment. It's HTC so every game will test against it eventually.

It's the spec Oculus should have released this year.

Also as its native SteamVR it should be running the latest optimisation tweaks which kick in when GPUs are under load. I'm not convinced that WMR is keeping up with Oculus/Valve on that stuff. I think I'm leaning to the Cosmos too but would like some reviews.

• Well I preordered the Cosmos. I am hoping it is a decent upgrade to my good old Oculus Rift cv1 w/2x sensors. I also considered the Index, Reverb, and Oculus Rift S.

The Index is still is not available in Australia.'

The Reverb is still WMR and there is now way I'm going back to that!

The Rift S has much poorer audio, no flip up screen, and there still seems to be a few unresolved teething problems like Grip/trigger lag.

I'm also looking forward to trying out Vive's new Virtual Reality System.

i9 13900K water cooled, RTX4090, Z790 MB w/wifi6e, 32Gb 6400 ram, 2x2TB SSD, 1000W PSU, Win 11, QPro w/Air Link, Vive Pro