Copilot and 737 Thrust Reversal

• Hello...

I have just recently started using copilot mode with the 737. It works beautifully from takeoff, route following, and finally landing. Upon landing, I have never seen the thrust reversers operating, only the spoilers.

Why doesn’t the copilot use thrust reverse upon landing? Do I need to do something?

Thanks for your help:)!

Windows 7 (64-Bit), Asus Sabertooth (Intel Z87) SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0, Intel 4th Gen Core i7 4770K (4.5GHz Overclock) Quad Core, Cooling Antec 920 Dual Stage CPU Liquid Cooling,16GB Dual Channel DDR3 SDRAM 1866MHz, 6GB Nvidia GeForce GTX Titan, GDDR5, PCIe, 950 Watt PC Power & Cooling MK II.

• It could be that the copilot is trying to set idle reverse thrust which the 737 doesn't let through to the reversers on the engine or something else like weather or not you touched the throttle slider or input axis before using the copilot or something else like your hardware constantly sending signals that overwrite the copilot commands.

• You need to assigh a keyboard entry or a control device button to the reverser and select reverse manually. I use the nice and big Space Bar.

Thanks Overloaded. I have thrust reverse assigned to the “trigger” on my joystick.

When I’m manually landing, I pull the trigger and thrust reverse works.

Are you suggesting that when the copilot touches the plane down that I pull the trigger to engage reversers?

Thanks

Windows 7 (64-Bit), Asus Sabertooth (Intel Z87) SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0, Intel 4th Gen Core i7 4770K (4.5GHz Overclock) Quad Core, Cooling Antec 920 Dual Stage CPU Liquid Cooling,16GB Dual Channel DDR3 SDRAM 1866MHz, 6GB Nvidia GeForce GTX Titan, GDDR5, PCIe, 950 Watt PC Power & Cooling MK II.

• Is it not always a manual operation?, maybe Airbus or even the 737 MAX do autopilot/flight control computer reverse thrust but unlocking and applying the reverse thrust isn’t something to be taken lightly, any sort of upset could be deadly say with an on the runway go-around.

Sorry, I have avoided the Copilot.

Edited 3 times, last by Overloaded (August 27, 2019 at 1:11 AM).

• Thanks to all the responses. I do understand the difference between

the autopilot and copilot.

The copilot tutorial states...

The copilot then extends flaps and the landing gear, slows down to pattern speed and finally approach speed as it makes the last turn to line up with the centerline of the runway. It then performs some final landing checks such as arming the ground spoilers and tuning on the landing lights. It aims for roughly 50ft above the threshold and then flares the aircraft depending on the height above ground. After touchdown it either reduces the pitch angle (for tricycle gear) or keeps pulling back to lower the tailgear and the copilot adds brakes to slow down the aircraft whilst maintaining the centerline until the aircraft reaches a complete stop. Finally it disarms the spoilers, resets the pitch trim for takeoff and keeps holding the brakes until you advance the throttle to continue taxi. You may also disengage the copilot before it comes to a complete stop.

I don’t see anything about reverse thrust.

Once again, thank you for taking the time to respond earlier.

xraythree

• Once the 737 touches down under the copilot’s control, I deployed the thrust reversers via trigger switch on the joystick, where I assigned the thrust reverser function.

• Once the 737 touches down under the copilot’s control, I deployed the thrust reversers via trigger switch on the joystick, where I assigned the thrust reverser function.

Apparently reverse thrust not required when Capt. Seatpants can land the 744 on a dime & come to a stop a few metres from the edge of the cliff on Catalina.

i9-10900KF RTX 3090 64Gb Reverb G2 Saitek X-65F

• That’s one awesome landing!

• Some landing alright Strato' and Captain Seatpants!

The Copilot really seems to positively plant her without much of a bounce, I just gave Copilot its first few goes on PC and it does a smooth if somewhat peculiar flight. The 'Copilot' and me would come to blows when he/she retuned my carefully entered nav-aid frequencies!

(Reverse thrust is an alternative deceleration and is not additional to the autobrakes, it reduces the demand on the brakes, keeping them cooler between rapid turn-arounds and reducing maintenance costs. It is most effective in wet and icy conditions - come on IPACS, snow for Christmas please).