Removing a tree from a cultivation file?

• Scenproc... Ok, been looking at this tonight and I can basically see how it works. However, I'm not sure it can do what I still would like to achieve, which is to exclude the existing automatically generated cultivation radio masts (i.e. multi-floored buildings) and replace them with my own hand placed versions. In other words, not include a .KML file for exclusion during the scenproc script processing, but rather entries in a .TOC file that would exclude an area within an already cultivated area using lat/lon coordinates I specify.

Does that make sense? Am I asking for the impossible by any chance?

Thanks!

• Scenproc... Ok, been looking at this tonight and I can basically see how it works. However, I'm not sure it can do what I still would like to achieve, which is to exclude the existing automatically generated cultivation radio masts (i.e. multi-floored buildings) and replace them with my own hand placed versions. In other words, not include a .KML file for exclusion during the scenproc script processing, but rather entries in a .TOC file that would exclude an area within an already cultivated area using lat/lon coordinates I specify.

Does that make sense? Am I asking for the impossible by any chance?

Thanks!

As I told you :

(A) method if you can code is writing a script that generates a KML file of all objects found in a specific TOC file with their attributes, and then open this KML file in Google Earth.

There (in GE) you can go to the specific location where you saw a flaw in AFS2 and identify the culprit.

Eventually, use the powerful search features of Notepad++ to go directly to the bad guy in your TOC file.

That's the method I use, but I think the new AFS2 Cultivation/Scenery editor tool is easier...

I code my scripts in Excel VBA, that's very powerful and no need to spend time defining an extensive GUI : a simple Excel sheet makes a free and versatile GUI to launch scripts with input parameters...

I have to check if my current tool can be used in your case.

Cheers

Antoine

Config : i7 6900K - 20MB currently set at 3.20GHz, Cooling Noctua NH-U14S, Motherboard ASUS Rampage V Extreme U3.1, RAM HyperX Savage Black Edition 16GB DDR4 3000 MHz, Graphic Card Gigabyte GeForce GTX 1080 8GB, Power supply Corsair RM Series 850W, Windows 10 64 bit.

• As I told you :

Worry not, I listened 🙂

However the method you suggest will only work if the cultivation .TOC is still readable as text format yes? If I was to use someone else’s cultivation files or generate areas of cultivation and then compile them, but afterwards find something out of place that I didn’t pick up on when I initially checked them before compiling, there is no method to quickly remove or blank out something undesirable after the event. If that is the case then so be it, I guess I’m just trying to understand what is or isn’t possible when developing scenery for FS2.

• However the method you suggest will only work if the cultivation .TOC is still readable as text format yes? I

Exactly, and that's a huge drawback.

I reported repeatedly years ago that AFS2 needs a clear scenery priority concept and the possibility to exclude objects.

For long, scenery making only meant to IPACS designing an isolated and very local airport, leading to endless misunderstanding and systematic request dismiss, stating that there's enough room in AFS2 for airports not to overlap (i.e. no need for priority, everything must be loaded and displayed, but they would start considering it when they face the case) and you must not place an object in a scenery if you don't want it to be displayed.

:rolleyes:

In the meantime the exclusion polygons for default vegetation was implemented. At first approach it doesn't work for custom cultivation, but I haven't extensively tested it.

As the case may be, if we manage to give it a higher priority than the scenery we want to exclude... ? well I dont know, it should be attempted.

Cheers

Antoine

Config : i7 6900K - 20MB currently set at 3.20GHz, Cooling Noctua NH-U14S, Motherboard ASUS Rampage V Extreme U3.1, RAM HyperX Savage Black Edition 16GB DDR4 3000 MHz, Graphic Card Gigabyte GeForce GTX 1080 8GB, Power supply Corsair RM Series 850W, Windows 10 64 bit.

• I'm sure that this issue has no doubt been discussed at great length before and is a constant frustration to all FS2 cultivators, and I'm sorry if I've brought it to the fore once again. Surely IPACS must see how totally counter-productive to community oriented scenery and mod development their thinking is though? If someone with more time and ability is able to automatically generate cultivation and freely share this with the FS2 community, and then someone like myself says "I love what you've done, but there's a tree placed right over my house that I'd like to remove", then I have to learn how to re-generate all of that cultivation and re-do it all with a tiny exclusion polygon, just so that I don't have a tree planted in my roof. This is a complete duplication of effort!?

Surely it is preferable that someone with coding/scripting knowledge should focus on doing what they do best, whereas someone like myself who is better suited to 3D modelling/texturing should be able to do just that and not have to learn to code and script as well, and then spend time repeating a process that someone has already spent their time doing?

I'm preaching to the converted aren't I? :rolleyes::)