Network Broadcast Format?

• I thought I heard once they were sending data in a format compatible with x-plane

Devons rig

Intel Core i5-13600K - Core i5 13th Gen 14-Core (6P+8E) @ 5.5Ghz / G.SKILL Trident Z5 RGB Series 32GB RAM DDR5 6000 / GIGABYTE GeForce RTX 4070Ti GAMING OC 12G / Sound Blaster Z / Oculus Quest 2 VR Headset / Klipsch® Promedia 2.1 Computer Speakers / ASUS ROG SWIFT PG279Q ‑ 27" IPS LED Monitor ‑ QHD / 6x Samsung SSD/NVME's various sizes / Windows 11 Pro 64-bit / GIGABYTE Z790 AORUS ELITE AX LGA 1700 ATX Motherboard DDR5

• I use Avare on my my android tablet ( https://apps4av.com/ ) along with the avare external I/O plugin which is used to listen for an X-Plane or Flightgear host machine.

This works flawlessly (and for free) with FS-2. So indeed, FS-2 is spewing data out in X-plane/Flightgear format. What that schema is, I can't tell you ( I haven't tried to track it down).

-- Rich

edit:

Actually I'm looking at the data streaming into the avare x-plane connector. Looks like a JSON string with 'type', 'longitude', 'latitude', 'speed', 'bearing', 'altitude', 'time' being the parameters streamed.

Edited once, last by RjG: More info (September 10, 2019 at 8:37 PM).

• Thanks, my next step was to stick a packet sniffer on the broadcast and see what I can get.

All I want is to get the position data out. Really didn’t think it would be this difficult...

can you actually see the string? If so could you paste it in for me to see?

Otherwise I’ll grab avare external I/O plugin and have a look, is x-plane required to see?

Thanks

• is x-plane required to see?

No

Devons rig

Intel Core i5-13600K - Core i5 13th Gen 14-Core (6P+8E) @ 5.5Ghz / G.SKILL Trident Z5 RGB Series 32GB RAM DDR5 6000 / GIGABYTE GeForce RTX 4070Ti GAMING OC 12G / Sound Blaster Z / Oculus Quest 2 VR Headset / Klipsch® Promedia 2.1 Computer Speakers / ASUS ROG SWIFT PG279Q ‑ 27" IPS LED Monitor ‑ QHD / 6x Samsung SSD/NVME's various sizes / Windows 11 Pro 64-bit / GIGABYTE Z790 AORUS ELITE AX LGA 1700 ATX Motherboard DDR5

• Install Avare and the I/O plugin on an android device.

Join via wifi the same network that your FS2 machine is on.

Start FS2 and go to settings. My network is a typical 192.168.1.xxx, FS2 defaults to 192.168.1.255 as the broadcast IP and port 49002. Don't change anything (unless of course the first three numbers of the dotted quad don't agree with your network).

Enable the broadcast output. That's it.

Set a location for a flight and start it idling on the runway. You should be streaming udp packets.

Pick up your android device.

Start the avare i/o plugin. You should see the android device's IP. Set the correct listening port number 49002. Press the 'Listen' checkbox. That's it.

Watch the data flow. It's a simple JSON string {name:value, name:value}

Next step get into your development suite open a socket, setup a listener, decode the JSON string... and do something spectacular.

You might want to actually try out Avare as it is pretty great in itself.. also the price is right.. Free.

Good Luck

-- Rich

Edited 3 times, last by RjG (September 11, 2019 at 1:37 PM).