Add-on scenery structure

• Dear IPACS team,

What are now the allowed folder structures in the external user-defined folder?

As already stated the aim is to replicate the ADDON structure, which is optimal for scenery management as illustrated below : all elements of a same scenery are gathered in a specific folder and substructure:

The ADDON structure works well on the default game folder, but it's on the C: drive which is to be avoided.

The same ADDON structure works well also in the Steam Library, which is not intended for home-made or manually installed sceneries.

How can we successfully declare it on the external user-defined folder? What are the allowed structures and syntaxes?

So far I was only able to replicate the SCENERY structure of the default game folder, which spreads constitutive parts of various sceneries into common folders, leading to a quickly growing mess :

To remove or deactivate a scenery, you'll have to search for bits and pieces in various sub directories.

Could you please provide a quick guideline of possible/allowed structure and syntaxes?

Last but not least, have you considered a de-activating prefix as proposed by Lenidcamper? something like :

!package
    ___elevation

___ images
    ___...

or

#package
    ___elevation

___images
    ___...

Thanks in advance

Cheers

Antoine

Config : i7 6900K - 20MB currently set at 3.20GHz, Cooling Noctua NH-U14S, Motherboard ASUS Rampage V Extreme U3.1, RAM HyperX Savage Black Edition 16GB DDR4 3000 MHz, Graphic Card Gigabyte GeForce GTX 1080 8GB, Power supply Corsair RM Series 850W, Windows 10 64 bit.

• I've raised this issue a couple of times. Jet pack answered, but my request to sticky that post was never answered. I can't seem to find it....

Maybe helpful, maybe not! User Created Content Concern

Devons rig

Intel Core i5-13600K - Core i5 13th Gen 14-Core (6P+8E) @ 5.5Ghz / G.SKILL Trident Z5 RGB Series 32GB RAM DDR5 6000 / GIGABYTE GeForce RTX 4070Ti GAMING OC 12G / Sound Blaster Z / Oculus Quest 2 VR Headset / Klipsch® Promedia 2.1 Computer Speakers / ASUS ROG SWIFT PG279Q ‑ 27" IPS LED Monitor ‑ QHD / 6x Samsung SSD/NVME's various sizes / Windows 11 Pro 64-bit / GIGABYTE Z790 AORUS ELITE AX LGA 1700 ATX Motherboard DDR5

• Thanks for your posts, Antoine: I used your method to install some Norwegian scenery in a more clean way: I had to put various files in various subfolders first but now I can put everything for Norway in one addon folder and it works like a charm!

• Interesting that it should not work for you with the external user folder.

At least for the DVD-Version this is working for me:

<[string8][extra_user_folder][D:\Aerofly FS 2 Flight Simulator Addons]>

But important is, that inside elevation, images and places is another sub folder. If not it can lead to not display the content:

Wish for Aerofly FS 2/4:

- Flightpath recording on hard drive and replay in sim from different view points

- Smoke for aerobatic planes

- Multiplayer or at least watching other people flying sitting on ground or inside tower

• To expand on what Antoine is asking:

- At minima it would be nice to have a clear document (wiki) on the structure of folders for FS2. For scenery, aircrafts, repaints, etc..

Structure of all three folders: C: game folder, C: game add-on folder; User expansion folder

What folders are expected (scenery, elevation, image, aircraft, TMC, TMD, etc..), where (which one are not supposed to be interfered with)

Which one are flexible (like I can have a USA folder and subfolders for each state, etc..)

What content (type and file extension type) is expected in each folder. So that we can double check things are in the right place and of the right format. Also so that we know what to expect of files or issues, where to look for an elevation issue for example etc..

A structural graphic with colors (like red for mandatory structure, green for optional, etc..) would probably be the simplest and clearest.

I've seen some info here and there, some conflicting info, some dated info which we don't know if still true or not. A wiki would be great, I'm willing to help compile all the info and create a document for the wiki.

• I'm confused again. I am trying to create a addon folder specifically for Hartman's Lofoten.

I created the folder Documents > Aerofly FS 2 > addons > Norway

In that folder there are three folders: 'elevation', 'images' and 'places'

In 'elevation' I put all the Winther mesh files: no problem there.

In 'images' there is a folder called 'no' and in it are 4 folders, one for each part of the scenery ('09_lofoten_map_09_8980_c300', '10_lofoten_map_09_8980_c280', '11_lofoten_map_09_8a00_c300' and '12_lofoten_map_09_8a00_c280').

Q: is that folder 'no' really needed or could I as well put those 4 folders straight into 'images'?

Q: or to take it even further: could I just as well put all files within those 4 folders straight into the 'images' folder?

In 'places' I have a folder called 'fscloudport' and 'no'. In 'fscloudport' there is yet another folder called 'no' and within that one there are folders for 'enlk' and 'ensh'.

Q: are the subfolders 'fscloudport' and 'no' really needed or could I just as well put 'enlk' and 'ensh' straight into 'places'?

In 'no' (the one directly in 'places') there is a folder called 10_lofoten: in that folder there is a folder called 'building_textures', one tsc file and two toc files.

Q: I downloaded cultivation from IZ0JUB and have no clue where to put his tsc and toc file... Straight into 'places'? Or in that 'no' folder'? Should I keep or remove the other tsc and toc files?

IN SHORT: it's totally unclear to me what parts of the folder structure are mandatory and what parts aren't...

• Q: is that folder 'no' really needed or could I as well put those 4 folders straight into 'images'?

"no" = abbreviation for Norway. This folder is not needed.

Q: or to take it even further: could I just as well put all files within those 4 folders straight into the 'images' folder?

Yes. Folders like "no" are only for keeping track of the areas (countries) you have installed (by default "us" for USA).

In 'places' I have a folder called 'fscloudport' and 'no'. In 'fscloudport' there is yet another folder called 'no' and within that one there are folders for 'enlk' and 'ensh'.

You do not need the folder "fscloudport". But I use this folder to place all the files I download from fscloudport.com. Then it doesn't get messy. :)

IN SHORT: it's totally unclear to me what parts of the folder structure are mandatory and what parts aren't...

Yes, it's a little different practice.

What works for me:

Mesh -----> scenery\elevation

Photo-scenery -----> scenery\images

Cultivation -----> scenery\places

You choose (or create yourself) subdirectories to avoid clutter (disorder).

• And to keep you confused, all of the new Norway scenery could be in your personal “scenery” folder, not necessarily in the “add on” folder. I also like to keep the fsCP airports in a totally separate folder due to the number of updates that I download.

The Elevation folder works best if it is directly below either Scenery folder and seems to be temperamental about having sub-folders.

It is necessary to have the “building_textures” folder in the same folder as the fsCP airport files for the cultivation to show. (Wherever that my be).

Everything could be placed in a “No” or “Norway” folder in the personal Add on folder and structured with Elevation and Scenery folders, with Image and Places sub-folders in the Scenery folder. Only elevation files go in the elevation folder, scenery files go in the Image folder, and airport files with tsc and toc cultivation files go in the places folder.

You can have sub-folders throughout to keep track of various locations or projects. There is a lot of freedom with the sub folders.

• :DI'm as confused as ever, if not more. This ought not to be so difficult.

How ironic that even though I've used FS2 for years and I've even helped create scenery (Apollo 50 team for example) I still can't figure this out.

I have files that I have downloaded (scenery, aircraft repaint) that I gave up on figuring out how to install them. I tried a few times, didn't work, gave up.

• I have files that I have downloaded (scenery, aircraft repaint) that I gave up on figuring out how to install them.

Let's try the first task: ^^

"downloaded (scenery)" = orthophoto/photo (lanscape) ----------> ...... scenery\images

"downloaded (aircraft repaint)" = "applied surface" :S ----------> C:\Users\ ...... \Documents\Aerofly FS 2\aircraft\as an example: dr400

• Interesting that it should not work for you with the external user folder.

Hi Flightxtreme,

What you describe here is the Steam add-on folder in the Steam version. It's works, but not suited for that purpose.

I simply want the same ADDON structure for the user-defined folder, in other words save AFS2 sceneries as complete add-ons at a user-defined location, e.g. a dedicated SSD

Anybody at IPACS could please check and reply?

Thank you in advance

Cheers

Antoine

Config : i7 6900K - 20MB currently set at 3.20GHz, Cooling Noctua NH-U14S, Motherboard ASUS Rampage V Extreme U3.1, RAM HyperX Savage Black Edition 16GB DDR4 3000 MHz, Graphic Card Gigabyte GeForce GTX 1080 8GB, Power supply Corsair RM Series 850W, Windows 10 64 bit.

• Thanks for the help, I'll try that next time I get a chance (computer is not at my house).

Let's try the first task: ^^

"downloaded (scenery)" = orthophoto/photo (lanscape) ----------> ...... scenery\images

"downloaded (aircraft repaint)" = "applied surface" :S ----------> C:\Users\ ...... \Documents\Aerofly FS 2\aircraft\as an example: dr400

Thanks for the help, I'll try that next time I get a chance (computer is not at my house).

• Uhm... I do not have a steam version. Just the DVD version.

Best, Micha

Wish for Aerofly FS 2/4:

- Flightpath recording on hard drive and replay in sim from different view points

- Smoke for aerobatic planes

- Multiplayer or at least watching other people flying sitting on ground or inside tower

• Uhm... I do not have a steam version. Just the DVD version.

Best, Micha

That's simply why it's no solution

Cheers

Antoine

I bring UP this topic, could IPACS please reply?

Thanks

Antoine

• I bring UP this topic, could IPACS please reply?

Thanks

Antoine

• In the last days I was only a little on the way in the forum and in https://flight-sim.org. Now I stumble over the different updates, because I have to look more or less laboriously where to replace what.

That's when this idea came up:

It would be good if the downloads were already available for download in the right structure like the photo from the first article.

Then all you have to do is "pull over" the corresponding directories.

9265-screenshot1751-jpg

Tschüss, Michael (🍎🚁)

Configurations:

- MacBook Pro (16", 2021); Chip: Apple M1 Max; actual macOS || Thrustmaster TCA AIRBUS EDITION: 1x Sidestick, 2x Quadrant, 2x Quadrant Add-On || Pro-Flight-Trainer PUMA X

- iPad (12,9", 4th Generation, RAM: 6 GB); actual iOS || nimbus steelseries

• It would be good if the downloads were already available for download in the right structure like the photo from the first article.

This is a must-have for scenery sharing.

But for that we need an ADDON structure in the user-defined folder, however nobody from IPACS seems to read this thread :/

Cheers

Antoine

• User defined add-on folders are not yet supported, sorry.

Aerofly FS 2 looks in these places for add-on sceneries, this is for Steam and DVD version the same:

1. 'Documents/Aerofly FS 2/addons/scenery/'
    2. '**install_folder**/../Aerofly FS 2 Flight Simulator AddOns/scenery/'
      Where **install_folder** is the folder where Aerofly FS 2 resides, for DVD installs this is at 'c:\Program Files\Aerofly FS 2\', so the folder Aerofly FS 2 is checks is 'C:\Program files\Aerofly FS 2 Flight Simulator AddOns/scenery/''

In the above two folders Aerofly FS 2 is expecting a folder with the name for the scenery, for example 'orbx_kege'. Then in this folder Aerofly FS 2 is again looking for the following folders:

'orbx_kege/images'

'orbx_kege/places'

'orbx_kege/elevation'

So the best option for 3rd party installers is to actually use the 2nd method. This way Aerofly FS 2 files are not mixed with 3rd party files.