Vive Cosmos Costs $699: Everything You NEED To Know!

• Latest news:

External Content youtu.be
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

Devons rig

Intel Core i5-13600K - Core i5 13th Gen 14-Core (6P+8E) @ 5.5Ghz / G.SKILL Trident Z5 RGB Series 32GB RAM DDR5 6000 / GIGABYTE GeForce RTX 4070Ti GAMING OC 12G / Sound Blaster Z / Oculus Quest 2 VR Headset / Klipsch® Promedia 2.1 Computer Speakers / ASUS ROG SWIFT PG279Q ‑ 27" IPS LED Monitor ‑ QHD / 6x Samsung SSD/NVME's various sizes / Windows 11 Pro 64-bit / GIGABYTE Z790 AORUS ELITE AX LGA 1700 ATX Motherboard DDR5

• For anyone considering this, here's my quick analysis of the alternatives.

Comparison of VR Upgrade Options

Finger Tracking Built In

It would be great if FS2 could use this finger tracking data so i can stop using the mouse.

https://uploadvr.com/vive-cosmos-finger-tracking/

• Oh dear... No good in dim light, light leak from flip up design and my guess is you'd lose FOV too. HP Reverb nudges ahead. The reviewer does speak highly of the Index sweet spot but I really don't want to invest in lighthouse tracking - we don't need it for flight sim.

https://uploadvr.com/htc-vive-cosmos-review/

• Oh dear... No good in dim light, light leak from flip up design and my guess is you'd lose FOV too. HP Reverb nudges ahead. The reviewer does speak highly of the Index sweet spot but I really don't want to invest in lighthouse tracking - we don't need it for flight sim.

https://uploadvr.com/htc-vive-cosmos-review/

Sigh. I had high hopes for the Cosmos; sounded perfect on paper. 2 - 3 hours battery life for the controllers is terrible.

For me, it's probably between a HP Reverb and just waiting for something better. Valve Index is too expensive and I don't want to have to mount lighthouse base stations.

AeroScenery - Easily create photoreal scenery for Aerofly

• Just watched the video accompanying that review.

External Content www.youtube.com
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

Some people in the comments are saying that the poor sweet spot might be due it being incorrectly positioned on his head.

The tracking and controller battery life might be fixable in software and firmware, so I'll keep an open mind until some more reviews are in.

I really did want to like this headset!

• Sigh. I had high hopes for the Cosmos; sounded perfect on paper. 2 - 3 hours battery life for the controllers is terrible.

For me, it's probably between a HP Reverb and just waiting for something better. Valve Index is too expensive and I don't want to have to mount lighthouse base stations.

I wonder if anyone has a Reverb at Cosford. You going?

• I just tried the Cosmos at RAF Cosford, in a C172 on Aerofly. Yes it was a little crisper than my Ody, but no great step forward and the contrast was lower. I think if i get anything of the current crop it needs to be the Reverb.

• External Content youtu.be

Devons rig

Intel Core i5-13600K - Core i5 13th Gen 14-Core (6P+8E) @ 5.5Ghz / G.SKILL Trident Z5 RGB Series 32GB RAM DDR5 6000 / GIGABYTE GeForce RTX 4070Ti GAMING OC 12G / Sound Blaster Z / Oculus Quest 2 VR Headset / Klipsch® Promedia 2.1 Computer Speakers / ASUS ROG SWIFT PG279Q ‑ 27" IPS LED Monitor ‑ QHD / 6x Samsung SSD/NVME's various sizes / Windows 11 Pro 64-bit / GIGABYTE Z790 AORUS ELITE AX LGA 1700 ATX Motherboard DDR5

• I just tried the Cosmos at RAF Cosford, in a C172 on Aerofly. Yes it was a little crisper than my Ody, but no great step forward and the contrast was lower. I think if i get anything of the current crop it needs to be the Reverb.

Good to know. Also saw another YouTube review panning it. Shame.

I think it's either the Reverb or nothing for me too.

Enjoy Cosford if you're there for the Sunday!

• I've been trawling HP Reverb reviews. This one seems to sum up what a lot of others say

- Amazing resolution. Fixes SDE. Where all headsets need to be eventually.

- Pretty bad optics

- Very small sweet spot

- Not great tracking

I think I give up on my search for a perfect 2nd gen headset for now. (Until I change my mind). Talk about 1st world problems.

External Content www.youtube.com

Edited once, last by nickhod (October 7, 2019 at 6:43 PM).

• nickhod,

I just wanted to be sure that you have read my "little" writeup on the Reverb:

VR Flight Sim cockpit review of the HP Reverb

If you have any questions or tests that you want me to run, I would be glad to help. It really is hard to make these VR HMD choices when we can't try them on. I bought mine from the HP store for $499 (the consumer version ) with the idea in mind that if it just didn't work well for me, I would send it back for a full refund. My previous HMD was an Odyssey+ so I had all the WMR software and knew how to best set it up.

Thanks for all your Aeroscenery efforts!

Dave W.

• If you have any questions or tests that you want me to run, I would be glad to help. It really is hard to make these VR HMD choices when we can't try them on. I bought mine from the HP store for $499 (the consumer version ) with the idea in mind that if it just didn't work well for me, I would send it back for a full refund. My previous HMD was an Odyssey+ so I had all the WMR software and knew how to best set it up.

Thanks for the review.

$499 is a great buy. We're paying $732 over here in the UK, so it makes the decision that bit harder.

I'm due to go to the USA in April on business so I'll keep my eye open for any deals then.

• I've seen a price drop over the last couple of weeks. Not sure why. Maybe MS is planning to update its WMR to more than 2 cameras finally?

Pro versions too! I hope these are new stock and not the old dodgy stuff.

• Once the early Cosmos issues like tracking and controller compatibility issues are fixed (hopefully soon) I think that there is going to be a lot of early Cosmos haters eating a lot of crow. I'm already seeing a lot of improvement in xp11 and Aerofly RC8 (and racing sims) with my Cosmos compared to my good old Oculus Rift cv1 w/2x sensors, even with a lot of SS.

I don't have Aerofly FS2 so I cannot say for sure but I suspect it will work very well once the controller compatibility issues are resolved. I was lucky and found a xp11 developer who helped me get the right joystick settings for my Cosmos controllers and they work fine.

The Cosmos has lots of potential upgrades like wireless and eye tracking. Both of which should be available soon.

The best thing for VR right now is that there is beginning to be lots of good headset options, like the Cosmos, Rift S, V2 Reverb and Index. I suggest you pick your poison and enjoy it without knocking down other headsets and VR systems. All that does is poison the VR Well imho.

i9 13900K water cooled, RTX4090, Z790 MB w/wifi6e, 32Gb 6400 ram, 2x2TB SSD, 1000W PSU, Win 11, QPro w/Air Link, Vive Pro