Project Lofoten_8, Norway

• I installed the 10m mesh first and found that I had graphic errors with towers appearing alongside the runway etc. Removed them and installed Taburet 19m Scandi-2 and it works perfectly and that scenery is beautiful thanks guys for all your work. :-0

• Now we need someone to make an A - B comparison of the 10m vs 19m mesh. Obviously, the 10m should be noticeable sharper with better resolution of the elevation changes.

Winther's mesh is a 5.5 GB download while Taburet's download is 'only' 2 GB (and it even covers a part of Sweden). I think I'll stick with Winther's for now. ;)

• I had that in the beginning too. I had to remove a few duplicate, empty mesh tiles. Then it worked

X-Plane 12.x | DCS 2.5.7 | War Thunder | Aerofly FS4

Win11-x64 | Lenovo Legion T7 34LMZ5 | Intel i7-10700K @3.6GHz | Kingston FuryX RGB 32GB DDR4 PC3733 | 6TB SSD Samsung 850 Pro | 3TB M2 PCI 4x | Gigabyte RTX 3070 Ti Vision OC | TM Hotas Warthog | Saitek Combat Pedals | Reverb G2 V2 | Lenovo Legion Y25g-30 360hz

• I installed the 10m mesh first and found that I had graphic errors with towers appearing alongside the runway etc.

I had that too but it was solved by placing the files in another location. I first placed the files in the folder 'scenery' (in My documents/Aerofly FS 2): the world was flat and there were huge 'towers' to the left and right of the runway. I then placed the files in the folder 'addons/scenery' and there it worked flawlessly! Maybe depending on where you put those files some default files are causing trouble? Maybe the addons folder overrides everything in the sim but other folders don't? Nevertheless and anyway, I am happy the 10 m files work on my PC because they MUST be better looking. ;)

• I just added Hartman to the authors of Leknes airport in fsCP so it can be properly developed. Make any changes you wish and if anyone else would like to be added just let me know.

Thanks Ray. It's nice if someone takes the challenge and upgrading airports.

The same goes for cultivation. Lofoten calls for experts.

I have currently little experience and virtually no control. The buildings end up all around - from the highest mountain peak to islets and reefs out into the sea. ?(

For me it becomes a bit time consuming to clean up - so I prioritize the landscapes first.

I think it is convenient to divide between trees and buildings in two separate cultivation files.

It is also important to remember that there are relatively few trees in Lofoten. ;)

• I experienced exactly the same results with the “towers to infinity” and the flat surface with both the 10m and 19m mesh. Relocating the folders fixed both for me. Although I stayed with the scenery/images for the improved scenery and scenery/places for the airport files. The elevation files work for me in the scenery/elevation folder location. I moved the elev files to be directly in the elevation folder not 2 or 3 levels deep in sub folders.

Hopefully, more user/developers will join in now. I had experimented with developing the Bergen area more than a year ago and that is a very scenic area also. TomSimMuc built a small area mesh that worked quite well. I don’t remember the specs on it.

Better airports would be nice. Maybe Ryan or Phil will tease us with one with ramps and more stripes.

I worked in Oslo, Stavanger, and Bergen many years ago. The client (Mobil) went ape-shit every time I rented a seaplane to fly to Stord Island to check progress of the Statfjord A platform. Of course that didn’t stop me from continuing to use Seaplanes rather than driving all day vs less than an hour flight time,

Hey guys, what is your choice of scenery supplier for Norway with the latest update for AutoScenery? Anyone have some recommended settings like TomSimMuc did for Orlando? I'm thinking about a redo for Bergen using these new mesh files.

We have a good start with fsCP basic runways in Norway. Maybe each can pick an area for scenery development. Hartman, what are you using for your scenery? Maybe we can make some of the adjoining areas for you.

• I'm trembling with joy! :love: Hope you guys can make this work! I wish I could contribute but I've tried to make some scenery around Stavanger Airport (which is my home) and unfortunately it's not looking very good. I have been dreaming of flying in Norway since the day I bought Aerofly and got in to flightsimming a couple of years ago.

• As a scenery maker I'm interested to know what image source did you use?

Hartman, what are you using for your scenery? Maybe we can make some of the adjoining areas for you.

Yes, please. :love:

Unfortunately, this is a mixed bag. Photos that are good in one area can be completely useless elsewhere. That's why I've had to learn some tricks in Photoshop. When it comes to Lofoten, the keywords are: AeroScenery (v 1.1.1), Norge i Bilder (Norway), ArcGis, Bing, Google (regarding the latter: "The fool writes his name everywhere").

• I'm trembling with joy! :love: Hope you guys can make this work! I wish I could contribute but I've tried to make some scenery around Stavanger Airport (which is my home) and unfortunately it's not looking very good. I have been dreaming of flying in Norway since the day I bought Aerofly and got in to flightsimming a couple of years ago.

When you say its not looking very good which image provider did you use and at what resolution?

Best wishes, Michael :)

• When you say its not looking very good which image provider did you use and at what resolution?

I used Google. Can't remember which resolution. Quite high I guess since I wanted to fly low and look at my house8o Some of it looks ok but some parts won't load until I'm flying over it and some won't load at all. So when I say it doesn't look good I really mean that it doesn't work ^^ And I couldn't figure out why so I gave up, hoping some kind community members one day would do their magic:saint:

• I'm guessing here but you may of left out making AFS Level 9 using "AeroScenery" this problem has come up before.

PS. The way I make my scenery, I'm no expert, is in 2M/Pix resolution and only then remake small areas of interest, airfields in either 1M/Pix or at the very best no more than 0.5M/Pix.

With this set up it all renders perfectly OK.

Best wishes, Michael :)

Edited once, last by IZ0JUB (September 12, 2019 at 8:02 PM).

• I wish I could contribute but I've tried to make some scenery around Stavanger Airport (which is my home) and unfortunately it's not looking very good.

Slightly off topic: Parts of the Stavanger area are unfortunately a typical "photoshop area".

Part 11 and 12 ready for download.

2m/pix resolution.

Includes airport from fscloudport.com.

• I installed the 10m mesh first and found that I had graphic errors with towers appearing alongside the runway etc. Removed them and installed Taburet 19m Scandi-2 and it works perfectly and that scenery is beautiful thanks guys for all your work. :-0

Same here, will try the 20m mesh soon. Land appeared completely flat except for towers beside the runway.

• Hello Hartman,

Very good job and wonderful achievement! :thumbup:Thank you very much!

Personally, I installed the Winther mesh, 10 meters away. and is perfect!

But what do you think, that of Taburet would be a better alternative in terms of coverage area?:/

Cheers,

Tomfa

Best wishes 😉

Pascal

AFS2 / FS4 / MSFS / - Intel(R) Core i7 -12800HX 4.80 GHz - DDR5 4800MHz 32 Go - NVIDIA GeForce RTX™ 3070 Ti 8 GB GDDR6X - 2x 2 TB SSD M.2 2280 PCIe Gen4

• Nice! Looking great! Awesome textures: even at 1500 to 2000 ft they look pretty real and you can see every rock along the shore! Just flew from ENLK to ENSH (nice distance for my kind of flying) and it was awesome! Thanks!

Only pity: no cultivation in these new parts... Are you planning on adding that later on? Would be cool! The textures on their own are great already but I do miss the cultivation, specially when flying low.

Anyway, keep them coming! :)

I decided to compare the freeware Norway mesh from Winther (10 m) and Taburet (19 m) around the (awesome) Lofoten freeware from Hartman. In my opinion the Winther mesh is the winner although the differences aren't as big as you might expect. When simply flying around you may hardly notice the difference but when you look closely Winther's mesh clearly has more detail.

Winther 1

Taburet 1

Winther 2

Taburet 2

Winther 3

Taburet 3

• I decided to compare the freeware Norway mesh from Winther (10 m) and Taburet (19 m) around the (awesome) Lofoten freeware from Hartman. In my opinion the Winther mesh is the winner although the differences aren't as big as you might expect. When simply flying around you may hardly notice the difference but when you look closely Winther's mesh clearly has more detail.

Thanks for making the comparison screenshots. I agree, there is not nearly as much difference as one might expect. Especially with the total file size differences. Those with limited hard drive capacity can have the knowledge of knowing they can have a near full mesh by opting for the Taburet 19m and have room for a lot if great new scenery.