LOD (Level of Detail)

• Please can someone advise if it is possible to increase the LOD / 'scenery draw distance' around the aircraft, especially at night.

Currently lights (from cultivation) and photo scenery appear in blocks, that 'pop' into view. This somewhat spoils the immersion.

Any assistance to make the scenery "draw" quicker or somehow increase the LOD radius, would be greatly appreciated.

QF10

• I believe you would have to go into each tsc. file of the specific area you are flying and adjust this line. 50000 is pretty good loading distance in my opinion. Of course you can always turn it up, but I'm not sure how optimal it would be in heavily populated areas.

Or this is not the answer you're looking for?

• QF10, I think one trick that works is to start FS2 then start on the runway of each airport on your intended route (last airport first) to load all the lights into memory. Then when you take-off to actually fly the route, I think all the lights will be on (no popping as you fly).

If you exit FS2, what's in memory is flushed so when you re-start FS2, only the nearby TSC files and lights are loaded. As Jake mentioned, the popping will depend on what the scenery author used for SIZE for their TSC files (5000 = 5km or 3 miles, 50000 = 50km or 30 miles).

If you have the South Florida DLC, you can try the lighted radio towers add-on which uses a large SIZE value so you can see the blinking lights from very far away - https://flight-sim.org/filebas…-south-florida-tl-add-on/

• Thanks Ken & Jake, I forgot to mention I have this issue flying in excess of 100NM and usually at FL300+ altitudes, so Ken's conclusion makes a lot of sense.

I will try the trick of starting at the destination airport first and will edit the cultivation files, for those areas I regularly fly, if that doesn't work.

QF10

• Wow... another aspect. I have not thought about this. The thing is, for cultivation I use now quiet small size parameters (1000). Why? Because you get flying houses and trees (and quiet sure also lights) if I increase this parameter, since the cultivations would be loaded earlier than the mesh files.

So we are here in a dilemma: Popping lights against flying cultivation.

For performance reason I would prefere the small size values since it avoids flying houses and the sim does not need to load too many files.

If you fly high, I guess it would be good to get lights not from the cultivation files but from a kind of light map from the ortho images. This would solve in a way the popping lights - although I don't think this is working yet or even planed. Also lights from cultivation files should be less intensive if far away. If this is the case it would smoothly blend in and not popping.

Wish for Aerofly FS 2:

- Flightpath recording on hard drive and replay in sim from different view points

- Smoke for aerobatic planes

- Multiplayer or at least watching other people flying sitting on ground or inside tower

• Wow... another aspect. I have not thought about this. The thing is, for cultivation I use now quiet small size parameters (1000). Why? Because you get flying houses and trees (and quiet sure also lights) if I increase this parameter, since the cultivations would be loaded earlier than the mesh files.

So we are here in a dilemma: Popping lights against flying cultivation.

For performance reason I would prefere the small size values since it avoids flying houses and the sim does not need to load too many files.

If you fly high, I guess it would be good to get lights not from the cultivation files but from a kind of light map from the ortho images. This would solve in a way the popping lights - although I don't think this is working yet or even planed. Also lights from cultivation files should be less intensive if far away. If this is the case it would smoothly blend in and not popping.

to avoid this dilemma, you should be able to separate your cultivation file in 2. on one side a TOC file with buildings and vegetation and on the other side a TOC file only with lights. Finaly call your TOC files with two different TSC files and that should do the trick.

• Yes, I thought about this solution as well.

But the lights will be in the wrong height as well, if we have different tocs/tscs for them. No problem during the flight but during the landing, I guess.

Wish for Aerofly FS 2:

- Flightpath recording on hard drive and replay in sim from different view points

- Smoke for aerobatic planes

- Multiplayer or at least watching other people flying sitting on ground or inside tower