Questions on SteamVR/WMR-APP settings for the HP Reverb

• Hi guys,

after the encouraging posts from whitav8, Majick, GrahamD and simbanl I also ordered the HP Reverb. Yesterday evening I was able to do a first test with Aerofly. Coming from the Oculus Rift CV1, I'm not familiar with the settings of WMR headsets. Do you have any good tips what I have to consider with the settings under SteamVR and the WMR app? Is there a tool for WMR headsets like the Oculus Tray Tool to check my performance load?

Information about my specs:

4970K @4.5 Ghz, RTX 2070, 16 GB Ram, asrock fatality z97 Killer

Thanks in advance

Thomas

• Welcome to the club... for trimming your rig and setup I advice you to order for a handful of dimes the fpsVR software tool so you can review while you are flying in the cockpit all the actual data.

For optimum performance be sure to have the Windows10 1903 version (or updates) installed. There is much improvement for WMR compared to the 1809 version. Set your WMR settings to the highest as possible by 90Hz in windows settings menu (Mixed Reality), Your visual quality at Very High (beta) and resolution 4320x2160.

Be sure to use the Steam Windows Mixed Reality for Steam Beta version (this one is activating re-projection)

Regarding to Aerofly, I am using in the SteamVR settings menu, Video at 100% and Application (Aerofly) also 100%

Happy landings

Edited 3 times, last by simbanl (October 10, 2019 at 12:46 PM).

• In the SteamVR app you have to set Video at 100% and as soon you start up Aerofly, you can also set under application the resolution at 100%. after that you can set within the Aerofly setup windows (under Virtual Reality) the slider in the range from 1.00 to 2.00 (depending on your system performance) I use 2.00 so I don't have to use any additional AA but it will eat a lot of resources and especially Vram .

Happy landings...

• The reprojection setting file you need to edit (and possibly if there is a SteamVR update ) is in the following location:

XX:\SteamLibrary\steamapps\common\MixedRealityVRDriver\resources\settings\default.vrsettings

and mine looks like:

{

"driver_Holographic" : {

},

"driver_Holographic_Experimental" : {

// Motion reprojection doubles framerate through motion vector extrapolation

// motionvector = force application to always run at half framerate with motion vector reprojection

// auto = automatically use motion reprojection when the application can not maintain native framerate

"motionReprojectionMode" : "auto", <<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<-------------------------------------this is the only edit (remove "//" )

//Use next for DCS

// "motionReprojectionMode" : "motionvector", ......................................

This sets it up so that it will run at 90Hz when it can without adding an interval frame by shifting pixels and 45fps when the new frames drop below 70 hz or so. You will see some object artifacts then.

Using Aerofly for VR is so wonderful because you don't have to remove many high settings. I like the Q400 at ORBX Monterrey best.

• Hello folks,

I finally found the time to test the HP Reverb extensively. With the tips you gave me, the headset works very well (especially on my old rig). I'm very excited about the resolution. You can finally see the smallest details like power lines, smaller bushes and the details on the airplanes like screws and rivets. Seen from this side I am really really thrilled. Many thanks again to you both for your help!

@whitav8 

ORBX Monterrey as well as Innsbruck is a blast with this Headset.

But now I have a problem. Don't laugh... but my nose is too big for the reverb. 8| If I put the headset on, so that I get a clear picture, the headset presses on my nose bridge, which becomes very unpleasant after some time. I think if the padding was a little thicker, it would help.

Do you both have an idea to cope with this, or is there another faceplate which I could buy ?

I'd realy like to keep the HP Reverb, but I'm unsure because it sits so uncomfortably for me.

Best regards,

Thomas

• Haha, yes, I have the same problem. Not with short flights but tonight I made a complete A to Z EDDM to LOWI (P3D) via VATSIM and than you have the headset on for 1,5 hr and in that case I'm using a Make-Up Cleaning Pad (my wife normally use before she's going to sleep) and put that on my nose bridge.

I'm glad we could help you and wish you lots of happy landings with the Reverb....