• Yep, this is for real. ATC is coming to Aerofly FS2 and probably a lot sooner that most are expecting. This is not the IPACS version that has supposedly been in work for the last few years, but, from a 3rd party developer. 8o

The Open GL version is working like a charm and the Vulkan version is close at hand. Those FS2 pilots with the Saitek Panels will absolutely love it, but, the VR pilots will still be challenged to respond to the Controllers in a timely manner. The configuration screen allows for adapting your FS2 weather to the current METAR with changes in clouds cover, visibility and turbulence. One of the most recent features that I pushed for was to be able to map the ATC requests and replies to my HOTAS buttons and this works great.

• Heck, just having the ATC chatter in the background is a huge improvement, but, you have extensive control and choices of Controller voices from all over the world. The coding was heavily influenced by a slew of real world pilots and real world controllers from the US, AU and UK were on the development team.

Does this use vhf volume control, if so I'll add it to my lynx

Steve

Just your standard NAV and COM radio frequencies. Comm 118 - 135 Mhz and Nav 108 - 117.975 Mhz

All you need is a plane with a transponder, a radio, and speakers or headphones.

• The ATC was designed to blend in with AI just in case we ever get AI, but, meanwhile it is just you, the built-in chatter, and the various controllers. You have a lot of control like changes in altitudes, changes in runways (for takeoff or landing), changes in approaches. Of course, you get chided if you wonder off your assigned altitude or heading.

I like the fact that you can file your flight plan from an uncontrolled airport and then activate it in the air, just like in the real world.

You can also hand off the ATC to your copilot and let him do with talking and tuning. The auto tune of the radios is a super feature for me. Especially with the Saitek Radio panels when I am flying in the external views.

transponder ........ain't got one of those :( guess the iff will have to be pushed into service...more work....GROAN ;)

Yep, gotta have a transponder.

IFF/SIF

Well, no real AI, but, we do get to share the South Florida skies with some air traffic. Is "no real AI" an oxymoron? hmm.

• Great. One more question: Will it handle VFR or only IFR flights?

Kind regards, Michael

Intel i7-6700K 4.0 GHz / Asus MAXIMUS VIII RANGER / Kingston 32 GB DDR4 / Samsung SSD M.2 500 GB + Samsung SSD 1 TB + Intel SSD 500 GB (AeroflyFS2) + WD HD 6 TB / EVGA GTX 1080Ti 11 GB / LG 34UM95 3440 x 1440 / HP Reverb / Win 10/64

• Yep, this is for real. ATC is coming to Aerofly FS2 and probably a lot sooner that most are expecting. This is not the IPACS version that has supposedly been in work for the last few years, but, from a 3rd party developer. 8o

The Open GL version is working like a charm and the Vulkan version is close at hand. Those FS2 pilots with the Saitek Panels will absolutely love it, but, the VR pilots will still be challenged to respond to the Controllers in a timely manner. The configuration screen allows for adapting your FS2 weather to the current METAR with changes in clouds cover, visibility and turbulence. One of the most recent features that I pushed for was to be able to map the ATC requests and replies to my HOTAS buttons and this works great.

Well good news. I'm sure whatever Ipacs had planned would have been the absolute cats meow, but..

They.

Are.

Too.

Slow!!!

Devons rig

Intel Core i5-13600K - Core i5 13th Gen 14-Core (6P+8E) @ 5.5Ghz / G.SKILL Trident Z5 RGB Series 32GB RAM DDR5 6000 / GIGABYTE GeForce RTX 4070Ti GAMING OC 12G / Sound Blaster Z / Oculus Quest 2 VR Headset / Klipsch® Promedia 2.1 Computer Speakers / ASUS ROG SWIFT PG279Q ‑ 27" IPS LED Monitor ‑ QHD / 6x Samsung SSD/NVME's various sizes / Windows 11 Pro 64-bit / GIGABYTE Z790 AORUS ELITE AX LGA 1700 ATX Motherboard DDR5

• great news, what price range should i expect ?

AFAIK a price has not been set, but, I would expect it to be less than the recent aircraft add ons.

Well good news. I'm sure whatever Ipacs had planned would have been the absolute cats meow, but..

They.

Are.

Too.

Slow!!!

Whatever, but this cat can be considered a "cool cat" and it is on short final and smoking. It adds more than ATC to the quiet skies with weather adjustments based on real world METARS with active runways based on wind.

I just got jumped on for switching to ground before clearing the active. Trying to participate in the forum while making an ILS landing at one of my added airports in MS.

• 1. Which dev is working on this?

2. Will it have 'button' control or a menu (like default FSX ATC or ProATC)?

3. Will ATC prevent you from flying into mountains? (In other words: will it follow AFS2 plans or will it offer better options?)

• 1. Which dev is working on this?

2. Will it have 'button' control or a menu (like default FSX ATC or ProATC)?

3. Will ATC prevent you from flying into mountains? (In other words: will it follow AFS2 plans or will it offer better options?)

1. Dev will be announced soon.

2. Assigned Buttons or keystrokes like RadarContact.

3. Standard Flight Plans are used, not the NAV screen although you can mirror your flight plan and use the autopilot.

Nothing will prevent you from flying into a mountain, but, your assigned heading and altitude should always be a safe and proper flight path. If you request an unsafe altitude, the controller would not approve it. All approaches are valid approaches for airports.

Keep in mind, this is a flight sim so even the mountains are not real.

• Having looked at the default aircraft I cannot see any way of inputting the 4 digit code only the standby so are you able to do this in the aircraft or via a menu

Can't you move the standby code to active? I don't know zilch about the Lynx but, I bet Jan could come up with a solution.

I just loaded up the R22 and changed the Transponder codes using my Saitek Radio Panel. Gotta be something similar out there in the codes.

Cheers for that, more confused looks :/, does it work with other aircraft as I can't look at the R22 files

Edit. Also can you check if you can make it work without using your Saitek panel. I think it might be linked to the panels rather than any Fs2 direct input. Waiting for Master Obi Jan to advise

Steve

Yes, the transponder codes works with any FS2 aircraft with a transponder, both from the panel using mouse wheel turns or clicks. Obi Jan awaits your rotary wing addition.

• Cheers for that, more confused looks :/, does it work with other aircraft as I can't look at the R22 files

Edit. Also can you check if you can make it work without using your Saitek panel. I think it might be linked to the panels rather than any Fs2 direct input. Waiting for Master Obi Jan to advise

Steve

Edited once, last by larrylynx (October 12, 2019 at 9:25 PM).

• This is really good news. I actually have a lot of fun twisting the radio knobs in VR, so far only for VORs and NDBs. I don't think it will be much a problem to be honest.

ATC would be really cool.

What will be really cool is flying Pilot Journey v2.0 using the new ATC. We will go from a dead cockpit to a very lively one with purpose.

I just completed a flight in the Lear45 from Gulfport MS to Memphis. The ATC chatter is excellent so I only hear FedEx, Scheduled airlines, and other Cargo jets in the Flight Levels. None of that crap where a J-3 cub or Cessna 182 is hogging the channels like the old FSX when you are at FL330. The newest improvement to the Lear are outstanding and it is easy to refer to the CDU now that it has Flight Plan info on the pages.

Another neat thing that I just noticed today for the first time, is the controllers refer to KMEM as Memphis Airport, rather than Kilo Mike Echo Mike airport. Nice touch.

There will be plenty of hands on twisting and turning. Lots of step climbs with proper handoffs all along the way between departure and the Tower with the cleared to land. Everything is so professionally done with easy to use configuration screens and realistic dialog. Several altimeter settings, and just enough handoffs to the correct centers to be enjoyable.

Be prepared to fly on the "straight and narrow" when the controller says maintain runway heading on takeoff, he mean maintain runway heading and is on your case immediately if you start a turn before switching to departure and getting the clearance for the next turn. Other times with a cleared as filed you will be making turns to intersections before "contact departure".

This is really good news. I actually have a lot of fun twisting the radio knobs in VR, so far only for VORs and NDBs. I don't think it will be much a problem to be honest.

ATC would be really cool.

What is your favorite FS2 airplane?

• Will it have idents for the nav radios?, our friends in IPACS don’t seem to think audio idents are important. I’d pay for them alone.

The radios are whatever are installed in the FS2 aircraft. The only way to ident a station is to verify the call letters (3 capital alphas) for a VOR station and the location is where it is suppose to be. This can be found on lower left of the PFD along with the course and distance and which VOR (1 or 2) is active. Morse code is no longer used as identifiers, although the charts still have the Morse identifiers in the ID box.

The ATC will have the next waypoint shown as follows:

<GHM>28m/255deg/ (this would be Graham VOR, the first waypoint on this particular flight Plan)

There will be no audio idents because it is using the FS2 radio code as installed in the aircraft.

When I was flying a gazillion years ago we cranked up the audio to hear a recorded and repetitive "Whatever VOR" identified by name. The check was to see if the selected NAV frequency was showing on the nav radio and the TO/FROM seems reasonable. I don't remember ever using Morse Code to identify a nav aid.

• 1. Dev will be announced soon.

2. Assigned Buttons or keystrokes like RadarContact.

3. Standard Flight Plans are used, not the NAV screen although you can mirror your flight plan and use the autopilot.

Nothing will prevent you from flying into a mountain, but, your assigned heading and altitude should always be a safe and proper flight path. If you request an unsafe altitude, the controller would not approve it. All approaches are valid approaches for airports.

Keep in mind, this is a flight sim so even the mountains are not real.

1 and 2: clear!

3. 'Standard Flight Plans' means real world flight plans? Or 'standard' plans from the addon? I suppose with NAV screen you mean the standard AFS2 flight plans? At first I thought you meant to say standard AFS2 plans are used but those don't have valid approaches.

Anyway, this seems like a major leap forward...! Curious to see where those plans are coming from or how they are created. And also curious if IPACS will stop working on their ATC and start working on weather now instead.

EDIT

Oh, in order to use the AP you have to enter the flight plan into AFS2 anyway: I do wonder how this will work with approaches...? Because as said you can not enter valid approaches into the NAV screen. I fly the Q400 only. How do you fly a STAR and approach without being able to enter them into AFS2 and use the AP? On manual only, following directions from ATC for every heading change...? Very curious to see how that's done...! Pity the ATC-addon plans can't be forced into AFS2 itself though.

EDIT 2

Last week I re-installed P3D for two reasons: ProATC and Active Sky. In other words: ATC and weather. (Plus of course the Majestic Q400 and Ultimate traffice live. Amongst others.) This new AFS2 addon might help starting up AFS2 again: ATC and realistic flightplans sound good. And I understand it also includes weather (although not the graphics, I suppose...?). The AFS2 Q400 isn't as advanced as the Majestic one, obviously, but it is getting closer (in some aspects). Interesting development this is. How soon is sooner btw...?

Still...

Edited 2 times, last by Flamingpie (October 13, 2019 at 3:44 PM).