THROUGH THE LENSES - Vive COSMOS vs Oculus RIFT S vs Valve INDEX

• As always, take any through the lens video with a heaping helping of salt.......

External Content youtu.be
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

Devons rig

Intel Core i5-13600K - Core i5 13th Gen 14-Core (6P+8E) @ 5.5Ghz / G.SKILL Trident Z5 RGB Series 32GB RAM DDR5 6000 / GIGABYTE GeForce RTX 4070Ti GAMING OC 12G / Sound Blaster Z / Oculus Quest 2 VR Headset / Klipsch® Promedia 2.1 Computer Speakers / ASUS ROG SWIFT PG279Q ‑ 27" IPS LED Monitor ‑ QHD / 6x Samsung SSD/NVME's various sizes / Windows 11 Pro 64-bit / GIGABYTE Z790 AORUS ELITE AX LGA 1700 ATX Motherboard DDR5

• Also just watched these two videos of a fellow VR sim geek, who rates the Reverb highly against the Rift S, specifically for seated simming.

Got me interested again. Hopefully Spit40 will let us know what he thinks of his Reverb when he gets it :)

External Content www.youtube.com
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

AeroScenery - Easily create photoreal scenery for Aerofly

• Also just watched these two videos of a fellow VR sim geek, who rates the Reverb highly against the Rift S, specifically for seated simming.

Got me interested again. Hopefully Spit40 will let us know what he thinks of his Reverb when he gets it :)

Shouldn't be long now. One niggle with switching headsets is the need to get yet another prescription lens insert. This time though I'm going to try and convert one of the ones I already have for the Rift or Odyssey, using this. If it works, the 3d print will cost about 10 pence so much cheaper than a new one and the ebay market for 2nd hand inserts must be pretty small.

https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:3904579

• Shouldn't be long now.

Did you order direct from HP or take a chance on a reseller?

I need to upgrade my PC first to have a hope of driving a 4k headset, but I'm still interested in the Reverb.

I'm thinking that with the release of the Cosmos, that wraps up this round of headsets.

It might be 2 years+ before Oculus or HTC put out a 4k headset, given the hardware requirements.

• Not ordered yet. Just need to sort something out work wise, then if all goes to plan, this is my reward to myself.

I had hoped that a new Odyssey might pop up before I take the plunge on the Reverb, but there's no hint of that happening.

I plan to order from a reseller - £80 cheaper & the pro version.

https://www.ballicom.co.uk/hewlett-packar…-.p1461184.html

• I plan to order from a reseller - £80 cheaper & the pro version.

https://www.ballicom.co.uk/hewlett-packar…-.p1461184.html

Makes sense to try a reseller. Apparently, serial numbers after '931 / 932 / 933' are the fixed versions. Can always send it straight back if it's lower than that.

Just ordered a new GPU, then CPU next month, then hopefully try the Reverb in January.

Pretty expensive this flight simming malarkey!

• That’s good to know. I googled for ages whether there was a way to identify new stock from old but didn’t find anything.

I’m holding out for Ampere before i upgrade my GPU.

• The Reverb is sometimes available for 500 € from HP, it's still listed at that price at a bargain site, but if you click it's up to 600 € again. The 500 € are marked as from 2 hrs ago.

This seems to have happened a few tiems already, according to a price development chart. I never managed to get into that short window - if it actually existed.

Kind regards, Michael

Intel i7-6700K 4.0 GHz / Asus MAXIMUS VIII RANGER / Kingston 32 GB DDR4 / Samsung SSD M.2 500 GB + Samsung SSD 1 TB + Intel SSD 500 GB (AeroflyFS2) + WD HD 6 TB / EVGA GTX 1080Ti 11 GB / LG 34UM95 3440 x 1440 / HP Reverb / Win 10/64

• Thought #1 : Fantastic, I'll grab it ASAP

Thought #2 : Why? Is WMR about to release a v2 hardware spec? Extra cameras?

Thought #3 : Am I bothered if they do upgrade the h/w spec? My Odyssey tracking is fine for simming

Thought #4 : Oh that's enough ruminating.....

• Thought #1 : Fantastic, I'll grab it ASAP

Thought #2 : Why? Is WMR about to release a v2 hardware spec? Extra cameras?

Thought #3 : Am I bothered if they do upgrade the h/w spec? My Odyssey tracking is fine for simming

Thought #4 : Oh that's enough ruminating.....

Haha .. yep, the struggle is real.

I've come to the (probably temporary) conclusion that the Reverb is the best we'll get for simming for a while. Possibly until a "Rift 2" is released.

I'm prioritising a CPU upgrade so I hope that £514 deal is still available in January. :/

The Pimax 8KX looks interesting but:

- It's really expensive by the time you've bought lighthouse trackers and wands

- I tried their headsets at CES and it's about as comfortable as having a house brick on your face

- No card can run full 4k x2 @ 60-90 Hz, so you'd have to up sample anyway