IPACS Making any changes?

• Hi Flamingpie,

Thanks for your post; candid feedback is always appreciated.

I’d be the first to admit that installing Radar Contact is less straightforward than it could be. Also, I don’t disagree that installing two products, each with their own licensing, is less than ideal. I do have opportunities to improve the user experience on both fronts.

I have a couple of questions if you wouldn’t mind expanding on your comments.

When it comes to setting up and use Aerofly FS2 RC ATC turns AFS2 into a complicated FSX-like sim where you need to go through all kinds of trouble just to get the basics installed, let alone use it...!

Following installation of Radar Contact and Aerofly FS2 RC ATC, what are the “troubles” you refer to with respect to using Radar Contact or Aerofly FS2 RC ATC?

And even then ATC still is a basic (almost temporary) solution, lacking all kinds of features (which isn't Aerofly FS2 RC ATC's fault btw).

With regard to “lacking all kinds of features,” can you be more specific?

Thanks very much.

Regards,

Karl

• Following installation of Radar Contact and Aerofly FS2 RC ATC, what are the “troubles” you refer to with respect to using Radar Contact or Aerofly FS2 RC ATC?

The troubles mainly have to do with the planning. The use of RC obviously is a bit complicated but one will get used to that over time. But when it comes to planning you are stuck with a cumbersome routine. In AFS2 as it is now you can create a plan with a few clicks and you're done. With AFS2RCATC you have to take a lot of steps to get similar results: find a plan online and copy it into a 3rd party planner (or create one in that planner), edit it, export it, load it into RC, somehow copy the plan into AFS2 (by manually creating something hopefully similar): all in all this isn't exactly hwo things usually are done in AFS2. With AFS2RC you need 5 programs to get things done (a browser, a planner, RC, AFS2RCATC and AFS2 itself) while with IPAC's ATC you will only need AFS2 itself.

With regard to “lacking all kinds of features,” can you be more specific?

The lacking features have to do with what IPACS's own ATC will offer, mainly AI traffic (making ATC useful) but also an in sim planner, weather, etc. so things that make the experience complete. Of course these things can't be expected from AFS2RCATC which I why I also added "which isn't Aerofly FS2 RC ATC's fault btw". So nice as AFS2RCATC can be it is limited compared to what IPACS's ATC will offer. (Whenever (and if ever) that may happen, of course.

• The troubles mainly have to do with the planning. The use of RC obviously is a bit complicated but one will get used to that over time. But when it comes to planning you are stuck with a cumbersome routine. In AFS2 as it is now you can create a plan with a few clicks and you're done. With AFS2RCATC you have to take a lot of steps to get similar results: find a plan online and copy it into a 3rd party planner (or create one in that planner), edit it, export it, load it into RC, somehow copy the plan into AFS2 (by manually creating something hopefully similar): all in all this isn't exactly hwo things usually are done in AFS2. With AFS2RC you need 5 programs to get things done (a browser, a planner, RC, AFS2RCATC and AFS2 itself) while with IPAC's ATC you will only need AFS2 itself.

The lacking features have to do with what IPACS's own ATC will offer, mainly AI traffic (making ATC useful) but also an in sim planner, weather, etc. so things that make the experience complete. Of course these things can't be expected from AFS2RCATC which I why I also added "which isn't Aerofly FS2 RC ATC's fault btw". So nice as AFS2RCATC can be it is limited compared to what IPACS's ATC will offer. (Whenever (and if ever) that may happen, of course.

Hi Flamingpie,

Thanks for your reply.

I personally use a two or three step process for creating flight plans for the added realism. I also happen to be a fan (and donor) of Little Navmap. (Stay tuned for a free plugin that will allow Little Navmap to interact with AFS2.)

An easier flight planning solution might be Online Flight Planner. Have a look.

I really like AFS2's integrated flight planner - simple and easy to get up in the air quickly. Based on feedback that began with beta testing, I plan to implement exchange of flight plans created using the AFS2 integrated flight planner or standalone flight planners for use with Radar Contact. I have some ideas on how this might flesh out but welcome input from you or anyone else that would like to chime in.

Obviously I can't provide any insight as to IPACS' plans for AI, ATC or otherwise. What I can say is that IPACS devs and leadership are undoubtedly dedicated, talented and meticulous. Wherever their development roadmap takes them, I'm sure the results will be worth waiting for.

Regards,

Karl