IZ0JUB Conquered Great Britain 2020

• Your workload is unbelievable. You manage to get sceneries out in a faster pace than I am able to install and testfly them.;)

Thanks and kind regards, Michael

Intel i7-6700K 4.0 GHz / Asus MAXIMUS VIII RANGER / Kingston 32 GB DDR4 / Samsung SSD M.2 500 GB + Samsung SSD 1 TB + Intel SSD 500 GB (AeroflyFS2) + WD HD 6 TB / EVGA GTX 1080Ti 11 GB / LG 34UM95 3440 x 1440 / HP Reverb / Win 10/64

• Wonder if Just Flight would be able to port their new Scotland photoscenery for FSX/P3D to AFS2? After all, they just released their fourth aircraft (much to my surprise. Honestly admit I didn't see that one coming!)

EDIT:- Nine hours later... I've been flying some of your Scotland. Well, I have to say that the colour rendition of the images is far richer than the Just Flight product (which I bought last weekend for FSX). Nice job.

Edited once, last by KJKsimmer (November 3, 2019 at 3:58 AM).

• Just made a testflight after catching up with installation of the recent parts. Initially I wanted to take off from Glasgow which I found (and saw on the maps later) isn't covered yet. Instead I made a short hop from Perth to Dundee and the landscape looks very nice indeed. Even more considering original imagery was poor again.

Thanks, Michael, very well done!

Wonder if Just Flight would be able to port their new Scotland photoscenery for FSX/P3D to AFS2? After all, they just released their fourth aircraft (much to my surprise. Honestly admit I didn't see that one coming!)

Just Flight has a full GB FSX/P3D photoscenery in four parts available now. Unfortunately, I doubt they will port it to AeroflyFS2, one issue (like for ORBX) might be the missing native airports. Anyway, I asked at the Just Flight forum and will report the outcome, should there be any.

Best regards, Michael (II)

Intel i7-6700K 4.0 GHz / Asus MAXIMUS VIII RANGER / Kingston 32 GB DDR4 / Samsung SSD M.2 500 GB + Samsung SSD 1 TB + Intel SSD 500 GB (AeroflyFS2) + WD HD 6 TB / EVGA GTX 1080Ti 11 GB / LG 34UM95 3440 x 1440 / HP Reverb / Win 10/64

• I am amazed at the work being produced here. I lived for several years in the Loch Ness area, and it is very special to me. Now, living in the already-wintery prairie of Canada, thanks to your work, I am today flying low level down the Great Glen.

My only sadness was the editing to remove cloud cover over the eastern edge of Inverness. It was not your work that was the problem, for you had to go with whatever images were available, but it did remove the street I used to live on!... BUT the rest of the area more than makes up for this. If I had the source images, and also your final edited versions, I might have a go at re-editing them for you in that small area. No promises though on the final results.

I must run a comparison here with what I am experiencing today, compared with a week ago.

Last weekend I bought Just Fight's newly-released Scotland photoscenery. I still run FSX, so that was what it was installed on. I was disappointed on two counts. Some of that scenery is faded, and it does not capture the true richness of the colours of the country. And then there are the FSX blurries. even flying my A2A C172 at 90 knots will blur the textures to where I all but gave up. Yes, the limits of an old sim on an old computer.

And yesterday, I learned of your Scotland sceneries for AFS2. And WOW.... The colours are vivid and make me feel like I am home. And even a CF-18 screaming down low at 500knots shows not one hesitation or blurry.......

For all my complaining about the obvious limitations of AFS2, it really is a gorgeous sim experience. When I am vocal about the shortcomings, the motivation is to try to save this sim as a commercially viable platform for the long term.

Anyway, again, my thanks for your work. Will you continue south to cover the Glasgow-Edinburgh corridor and the borders? Actually, I'd love to see you do the whole UK if you can maintain this quality.

Regards

Kenneth

• Hi Kenneth,

Firstly thank you for your kind words they are greatly appreciated and glad you like the finished product. I used ArcGIS as the image source this time as the others either had missing parts to images or very bad colours. Unfortunately the downside to ArcGIS was large areas of both cloud cover and their associated shadows. I am no expert so it was a big learning curve for me to sit for many hours in front of the computer hand editing out clouds and shadows and the result is not perfect but the best of a bad job.

I'm going to head south to the borders of Scotland and England but again the images are very poor and undecided which provider to use either ArcGIS or Bing?

This will then match up with the rest of the UK which I have already made using Bing images.

Kindest regards, Michael.

PS. I attach a picture lifted from ArcGIS over part of Inverness showing some of the cloud cover.

Best wishes, Michael :)

Edited once, last by IZ0JUB (November 3, 2019 at 7:37 PM).

• I see what you mean. There is a tiny bit of cloud over Culloden/Smithton, but doing anything about that would mean checking other image sources and doing a cut/paste, let alone matching colours. Keep up the good work. By the way, how are the ArcGIS images for central Canada? (Saskatchewan and Manitoba)?

- Kenneth

• I know. It could almost be a painful job. But all in all, Scotland looks very good. Thank you so much. :thumbup:

Yes.. It is good.. Making me very homesick today. Just flew over the village (Fort Augustus, south point of Loch Ness) where my parents lived, and where I buried them in 2007. The emotional value of what our friend has created with his work is inestimable for me.

• Here is a look at the area you mention, not too many clouds.

Michael.

Better colours than the images I used two years ago from another source too. The available cultivation on the prairie is lacking (Ironic to use that term in this way in an agricultural area!)

EDIT:- I looked again at my old geoconverted prairies, and the colours are not that bad if I make it midday...

Edited once, last by KJKsimmer (November 4, 2019 at 6:53 AM).