IZ0JUB Conquered Great Britain 2020

• There was an answer by a Just Flight stuff member (Derek): "We have looked into it but the underlying architecture of AF2 doesn't lend itself to a straight conversion, I am afraid."

So nothing in the works right now and it's certainly not a simple conversion. Anyway, I asked them to keep an eye upon it for the future.

So let's enjoy what we have available from our own talented crew for now.:)

Kind regards, Michael

Intel i7-6700K 4.0 GHz / Asus MAXIMUS VIII RANGER / Kingston 32 GB DDR4 / Samsung SSD M.2 500 GB + Samsung SSD 1 TB + Intel SSD 500 GB (AeroflyFS2) + WD HD 6 TB / EVGA GTX 1080Ti 11 GB / LG 34UM95 3440 x 1440 / HP Reverb / Win 10/64

• Michael, thank you for all the scenery work you are doing, especially in Scotland. I was born there, and ran away to make my fortune in the colonies when I was 19.

I must have succeeded, because I have certainly spent one.

In the past I have created scenery for FS2004 and FSX, so I understand your frustration with cloud cover and shadows. You did a great job on Scotland.

Personally, I think scenery creators have to be Post-Modern Impressionists. No point in modelling every last blade of grass (or sprig of heather), just make the right impression. My youngest niece lives on Shetland, so I hope you will include that. It is a great centre for flights to the Faeroes, Norway, and Iceland - not to mention the rest of Scotland.

ATB

MikeW

• Flying the Orkneys as I type this.... Great job again. Nice to see the FsCloudport airports too. I better get off my backside and finish Inverness. (EGPE). I put it on FsCloudport years ago, waiting for photoscenery to make it useful!

By the way... Is anyone using Taburet's mesh with your work? I would be interested to know if it flattens the shores of Loch Ness to correspond to the images of the shoreline.

• Hello Kenneth - I use the Taburet mesh with Michael's scenery. Yesterday I flew the length of the Great Glen to Inverness, then followed the railway down to Perth and finally landed 'on the photo' at Dundee. Everything looked to be in its proper place, although the Tay Rail Bridge seems to have fallen down again ;)

MikeW

• Hello Kenneth - I use the Taburet mesh with Michael's scenery. Yesterday I flew the length of the Great Glen to Inverness, then followed the railway down to Perth and finally landed 'on the photo' at Dundee. Everything looked to be in its proper place, although the Tay Rail Bridge seems to have fallen down again ;)

MikeW

Hello Mike.

Thanks for the feedback. With the "standard" mesh, I noticed the Eastern shoreline of Loch Ness was a little out. The water in the pictures at times went slightly up the hillside. This was most noticeable at very low level. Western shoreline did the same near Lochend. That's what I am hoping will be rectified in the Taburet mesh. This shot was taken between Drumnadrochit and Fort Augustus, flying towards "The Fort".

• That's very nice. Sumburgh ahead. Never been there but I know it from other sims. It's a magical area.

Kind regards, Michael

Intel i7-6700K 4.0 GHz / Asus MAXIMUS VIII RANGER / Kingston 32 GB DDR4 / Samsung SSD M.2 500 GB + Samsung SSD 1 TB + Intel SSD 500 GB (AeroflyFS2) + WD HD 6 TB / EVGA GTX 1080Ti 11 GB / LG 34UM95 3440 x 1440 / HP Reverb / Win 10/64

• Lovely. Looking forward to it. I just emailed Just Flight to suggest porting over their superb Hawk Mk1 to AFS2. Imagine low level over Scotland in an RAF fast jet. Tried it last night in the F-15, but we need something RAF to make this a perfect low level simulation. If you agree with me, let's fire off some more correspondence to JF about it and create a sense of demand.

• Gents, I Need some help with Taburet mesh for Scotland.

His instructions say... "Simply extract from the zip the folder Scotland_cultivation into your Aerofly FS2 addon folder"

That is not clear to me and I've been using AFS2 for two years. I have a separate scenery addon folder on a different drive, and so I decided to place the Scotland_cultivation folder into there. My custom addon folder already has a subfolder for scenery, and that is split into an images subfolder and places subfolder. But where to put Taburet in this file structure? I tried to place it in places. BUT when I ran AFS2, it literally brought the system to its knees, and my computer froze to the point where I had to unplug it to switch it off. This is the first time AFS2 has ever frozen on me.

Have now restarted, and I deleted the Scotland_cultivation folder from my custom folder. Re-launched AFS2 and it took longer to load than it ever has before, but it did load and fly correctly. Question is this, exactly where do I put this Taburet folder now?

Do I place it in my mydocuments/Aerofly FS2 folder? If so, where?

There is already an addons subfolder in there, so is that where it goes? Also, the mydocuments/Aerofly FS2 folder already has a scenery subfolder. And in there is another subfolder for elevation, as well as one for places. Do I split the Scotland_cultivation components into these pre-existing subfolders? Or what? I do not want to freeze my system again. So I ask for some more detailed advice than the readme file please.

I await your advice. Thank you.

• Kenneth - On my machine, which is a DVD installation, I unzipped the download to its own temporary folder. This created:

Scotland_Cultivation

Scotland_Cultivation\elevation

Scotland_Cultivation\places

Scotland_Cultivation\places\scotland_buildings

Scotland_Cultivation\places\scotland_forests
    Scotland_Cultivation\places\scotland_lights

Scotland_Cultivation\places\scotland_power_lines

Each of these four sub-folders has a building_textures sub-folder

Having established that, I then moved the entire Scotland_Cultivation folder into Documents > Aerofly FS2 > addons > scenery.

Hope this helps

MikeW

Edited once, last by emfrat: correcting syntax (underscores, not hyphens! ) (November 6, 2019 at 5:54 AM).

• Hi Mike.

Thank you for your help. Unfortunately, despite following you advice, my old system simply does not have the power to work with Taburet's product. Using the stock mesh, and the cultivation from the Scottish sceneries, it behaves well, but there's too much detail in Taburet. That treat will have to wait.

- Kenneth

• Well, that's a shame...as they say in France, "Quel bummer!" I don't have a super-dooper GPU, just a 2GB RX500, but so far it is handling everything I throw at it. If you have time to follow the link I put up, you will find a "Download Original" button on each view. Feel free to use it.

ATB

MikeW

• KJKsimmer

I think mesh files (e.g.: map_00_0000_0000.tth) belong in the elevation directory. Have you tried that?

Tschüss, Michael

Tschüss, Michael (🍎🚁)

Configurations:

- MacBook Pro (16", 2021); Chip: Apple M1 Max; actual macOS || Thrustmaster TCA AIRBUS EDITION: 1x Sidestick, 2x Quadrant, 2x Quadrant Add-On || Pro-Flight-Trainer PUMA X

- iPad (12,9", 4th Generation, RAM: 6 GB); actual iOS || nimbus steelseries

• Hi guys. Thank you. I did some more experimentation in the wee small hours of the morning! I tried removing the cultivation Taburet files, and left only the mesh, and that was too much for my old machine. So, I removed the mesh and added back the cultivation. Still a struggle. So, I kept experimenting, and finally found I can use Taburet's trees, buildings and lights with only a small performance hit. The pylons were too much for it. No worries, it is part of using an old system.

Actually, I am about to launch a series of articles on a well known site about how you can still have fun in flight simulation on an old system. This experience will feature in one of the articles. I am sure I'm not the only flightsimmer who has seen their computer money evaporate into other expenses before the new machine is purchased. Trouble is, we know we don't want a mediocre system, so we wait to buy a super-duper expensive whizzbang of a system to hopefully last for several years for everything flight sim can throw at it.

But along comes life. It might be losing a tenant in a rental property that forces us to carry the mortgage again. It might be a $10,000 repair bill on a leaking roof, or the need for a new car when an old one finally gives up the ghost! (or all three in 18 months in my case!!). I am sure I am not alone.

And so, as the articles are written, I will be mentioning AFS2 as one excellent possible solution for those with mediocre systems. It can sometimes do on these dinosaurs what would be impossible in the world of "other sims" in my experience.

- Kenneth