Advice about hardware to buy to run Aerofly fs 2 on Mac

• Thoughts, please, on equipment to buy to teach a couple of teenagers how to fly a Cessna 172, using Aerofly FS2 on a Mac. I am thinking of yoke and throttle, and probably not bother with rudder pedals. Many TIA. Rodney.

• I have been "flying" the Aerofly with my grandchildren on a Mac for years with a 12-key joystick that simulates rudders, throttles and pedals. That works.

More realistic is of course the use of separate elements.

Tschüss, Michael (III)

Tschüss, Michael (🍎🚁)

Configurations:

- MacBook Pro (16", 2021); Chip: Apple M1 Max; actual macOS || Thrustmaster TCA AIRBUS EDITION: 1x Sidestick, 2x Quadrant, 2x Quadrant Add-On || Pro-Flight-Trainer PUMA X

- iPad (12,9", 4th Generation, RAM: 6 GB); actual iOS || nimbus steelseries

• Rudder pedals are critical for simulating the human movements required to control an aircraft whether it's for ground control like taxiiing and braking, or airborne skills such as coordinated turns, stall recovery, and cross-wind landings.

I only logged real flight time in a Cessna 152 & 172 and using rudder pedals to hold the centerline during take-off rolls is a strong memory that's great to duplicate with a simulator.

• Rudder pedals are critical for simulating the human movements required to control an aircraft whether it's for ground control like taxiiing and braking, or airborne skills such as coordinated turns, stall recovery, and cross-wind landings.

I only logged real flight time in a Cessna 152 & 172 and using rudder pedals to hold the centerline during take-off rolls is a strong memory that's great to duplicate with a simulator.

Hi Ken.

I would agree that rudder pedals are essential for a good simulation environment. However, I do wish that IPACS would do something about rudder authority in AFS2. I find that I don't even need rudder at all to maintain a co-ordinated turn in the AFS2 Cessna 172. This carries over to general aviation aircraft from third party manufacturers too, at least in my experience. It is one flight dynamics element that really needs a bit of a make over.

- Kenneth

• This carries over to general aviation aircraft from third party manufacturers too, at least in my experience. It is one flight dynamics element that really needs a bit of a make over.

- Kenneth

Some of those had an active yaw damper for quite some time and we only noticed that recently and informed them about it. So don't judge the flight model too quickly here.

If you want to practice turn coordination, I'd chose the ASG29 glider. That one has certainly a lot of adverse yaw :)

Regards,

Jan

• Some of those had an active yaw damper for quite some time and we only noticed that recently and informed them about it. So don't judge the flight model too quickly here.

If you want to practice turn coordination, I'd chose the ASG29 glider. That one has certainly a lot of adverse yaw :)

Hi Jan.

Thank you for replying. I have a few questions if you'd be able to answer them.

1. What about the default Cessna 172? Same situation I find. No rudder needed.

2. Understood on third party. Specifically I am flying the four GA aircraft from Just Flight. I assume they will issue a patch.

I will re-fly the glider!

- Kenneth

• Thanks everyone for those helpful replies (it hadn't occurred to me to need the rudder pedals on the runway! It is several decades since I last flew a real plane!) Does anyone have specific recommendations - brands - for equipment to go with a Mac? Or are they all pretty much OK? I was looking at the logitech products: yoke+throttle for example, at $170. Does that make sense? Good point about the rudder pedals!