HP Reverb Discussion

• OK, let's hear it fellas! I know there were quite a few on the forum who were going to make sure a Reverb showed up in their Christmas stocking this year. How do you like it? I am loving mine, even more since my VR Optician lens inserts arrived this morning. So much gorgeous detail !

I did have a surprise when the newly styled Steam VR settings panel automatically set my FS2 application resolution to 20% of default, but all was fine once I'd discovered that.

• I am completely satisfied with the monitor-like clarity and I also have the vroptician lenses which are much better than glasses. I run at 2160x 2116 and get only slightly less clarity out past 50% of the total FOV and very little chromatic aberration. I test it by looking at the first officers displays of airspeed/altitude in the Q400 from the lefthand seat. I suppose the FOV could be wider but I don’t notice it really when actually flying. If the HMD cable is strapped with Velcro loops to my chair armrest, i don’t feel it. The color is fine except somewhat at night at the edges of the cockpit. A great VR gen 2 experience for us flight simmers.

• i love my reverb too, i use cable binders to get rid of the connection problems and set it to 60 hz to get smooth framerates in dcs and the "other swim", pimax 4k--odyssey--odyssey+,reverb, i am looking for the first test of the pimax 8k x

• I made the maiden flight with the Reverb today, coming from an Acer AH101. Both are WMR, thus the transition was completely smooth (albeit I agree, WMR as such being clumsy).

I really like the higher resolution. Notably, I can discern things like Papis and runways from a greater distance than previously. Despite, while all gauges, GPS etc. are are perfectly readable now, clarity of the scenery at a distance still isn't comparable to my 3440x1440 screen...

I was happy to not observe any performance degradation with my EVGA 1080Ti (which I was afraid of), neither under AeroflyFS2 nor Prepar3d4 (with the latter showing the same stutters/dropouts under difficult situations as before). I read some people felt kind of a tunnel seeing effect because of reduced sharpness at the borders, which I didn't experience, even though I kept an eye on it.

I also like the integrated headphones. The controllers work as such, but I didn't test them much as I don't use them usually anyway.

The only thing I dislike is cable management. The Reverb comes with a thick and pretty non-elastic double cable which is much more annoying than the previous Acer cable. I am still experimenting how to handle this one.

Overall, I expect to stay with the Reverb for some time. The next step for me might be some solution where I can combine the headset with viewing/manipulating my hardware knobs and buttons.

Kind regards, Michael

Intel i7-6700K 4.0 GHz / Asus MAXIMUS VIII RANGER / Kingston 32 GB DDR4 / Samsung SSD M.2 500 GB + Samsung SSD 1 TB + Intel SSD 500 GB (AeroflyFS2) + WD HD 6 TB / EVGA GTX 1080Ti 11 GB / LG 34UM95 3440 x 1440 / HP Reverb / Win 10/64

• I came from an Odyssey+ to the Reverb so I was accustomed to the vagaries of WMR.

Dave W.

9700K@5.0Ghz, 3200Mhz RAM, RTX2070

I went with the Rift S. Having no experience with WMR headsets, I wanted to stay with Oculus for now. I upgraded from the CV1. My computer is an 8600K w/GTX 1080. I hope I am not disappointed with the S. It arrives tomorrow and New Year’s flying begins.

• Hi Michael, i have a simpit too, with a little training i am able to find the knobs blind, i ordered the poinctrl who is awesome and a must have for vr, when it arrives i will make little review. The simguys fromdcs love it.

I can find some controls (flaps, gear...) blindly as well but sometimes I've to search around a bit and I don't find it really fun and prefer pressing buttons in the Virtual Cockpit using the mouse.

Can you give me a reference/link to that "poinctrl". I never heard about that.

To add to my impression above: Screendor is (nearly) completely gone in the Reverb. That's the things you don't notice because they are just absent. Only exception is large bright areas like extended clouds where you can detect some rest of very fine screendor, but you must closely focus onto it. No screendor at all visible over the cockpit or landscape.

Kind regards Michael

Intel i7-6700K 4.0 GHz / Asus MAXIMUS VIII RANGER / Kingston 32 GB DDR4 / Samsung SSD M.2 500 GB + Samsung SSD 1 TB + Intel SSD 500 GB (AeroflyFS2) + WD HD 6 TB / EVGA GTX 1080Ti 11 GB / LG 34UM95 3440 x 1440 / HP Reverb / Win 10/64

• I can find some controls (flaps, gear...) blindly as well but sometimes I've to search around a bit and I don't find it really fun and prefer pressing buttons in the Virtual Cockpit using the mouse.

Can you give me a reference/link to that "poinctrl". I never heard about that.

To add to my impression above: Screendor is (nearly) completely gone in the Reverb. That's the things you don't notice because they are just absent. Only exception is large bright areas like extended clouds where you can detect some rest of very fine screendor, but you must closely focus onto it. No screendor at all visible over the cockpit or landscape.

Kind regards Michael

Michael,

I had contacted you a couple of years ago about your XTOP panel. I went with VR and love it. Have you seen Russ Barlow’s Knobster from Sim Innovations? He has lots of YouTube videos on the device. Small, no sensors and no additional hardware. I looked at the pointcntrl website and although it looks cool, but you would have to have some really steady hands and I don’t like all the additional set up, cables, sensors, and mount. I think the mouse in conjunction with knobster is a good solution based on what I have read and seen on other forums. The knobster is on back order and should arrive mid January. I’ll let you know how it works out. And anyone have pointcntl experience in FS2 and XP11, please share. Thanks.

Dan

• Thank you both guys, I didn't follow those developments and would like to learn more about them. One difficulty I see with the pointctrl concept is how do you map the physical buttons to the ones dispayed in the virtual VR cockpit, i.e., typicall they are situated in different places. But maybe it's in the manual which you can download.

If one of those concepts really works I might jump train.

Kind regardrs, Michael

• how do you map the physical buttons to the ones dispayed in the virtual VR cockpit

The pointctrl buttons are just mouse buttons - think of it like attaching a small mouse to each hand.

Instead of using a traditional mouse to drag the mouse pointer over to the gear handle, you just reach for the gear handle with your left hand and click the left button on the pointctrl unit that's attached to your left finger to toggle the gear state like you would do with a mouse click.

• I don't have the pointctrl system but after watching a few of the youtube videos, it doesn't appear to physically interfere with using the yoke or throttle quadrant levers and functionally they co-exist like a traditional mouse would.

The pointctrl finger units do go to sleep when they are are out-of-sight of the HMD-mounted receiver or when the sleep timer expires (configurable in 10-sec increments). You do have to click one of the finger buttons to wake it up when you plan to use pointctrl (battery life would be a problem without sleep mode).

This demo video of the prototype shows how you can use knobs by clicking then raising or lower your finger to "turn" the knob ...

External Content www.youtube.com
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.