Changing sound levels in the aircraft TMD file

• Hi,

I've read in a number of conversions that sound levels can be adjusted within an aircraft's TMD file. I've looked in the TMD files and can see entries pertaining to the individual sounds. However, I cannot see any values at all, or anything that indicated adjusting a sound's volume.

Can anyone point me in the right direction on this?

In this spoiler below, for example, I've copied the data from the A320's TMD file, relating to one of the sounds. Can't see any values relating to sound level?

Display Spoiler

// side stick priority

<[event_sound][PriorityLeftButtonSoundIn][]

>

<[event_sound][PriorityLeftButtonSoundOut][]

>

<[event_sound][PriorityRightButtonSoundIn][]

>

<[event_sound][PriorityRightButtonSoundOut][]

>

<[event_sound][TakeoverButtonLeftSoundIn][]

>

<[event_sound][TakeoverButtonLeftSoundOut][]

>

<[event_sound][TakeoverButtonRightSoundIn][]

>

<[event_sound][TakeoverButtonRightSoundOut][]

>

<[event_sound][ThrustLeverInstinctiveButtonSoundIn][]

>

<[event_sound][ThrustLeverInstinctiveButtonSoundOut][]

• I love the Duchess by Just Flight, but the engine sound hardly changes with any changes to either RPM or Manifold Pressure. Is there a way to edit those sounds in the TMD to make their response more accurate? Alternatively, could the Baron sounds be mapped/ported over to the Duchess?

- Kenneth

• Hi Kenneth,

Yes you can edit the tmd files to create pretty much any sound you want. You just have to create a mapping for each sound that is used to change its pitch and volume depending on the right factors.

E.g. you can use the rotation speed of the engine to change the pitch of sound to make the sound feel faster or slower.

Make a backup of your tmd files before you start!

- Jan

• I love the Duchess by Just Flight, but the engine sound hardly changes with any changes to either RPM or Manifold Pressure. Is there a way to edit those sounds in the TMD to make their response more accurate? Alternatively, could the Baron sounds be mapped/ported over to the Duchess?

- Kenneth

I literally cannot fly that plane because of that problem. It's a gorgeous model but the total lack of any RPM/pitch change when you move the throttles or prop levers is just a killer.

• This topic is good timing, I recently changed the ground roll sound of the main landing gear sounds (A320) Am running the sim through a bass transducer, are therer sounds for the main gear touch down? Would like to increase it so I get real thud through my chair, also can that volume be changed according the fpm touch down rate?

Cheers

• You can do all that with the tmd, yes. You can use the sound single for this or add a new event_edge to trigger a sound_event that plays your touch down sound. I wouldn't use the vertical speed since that instrument has a delay to it and doesn't represent the actual touch down rate. But you can get the compression of the main gear from the joints' ".Output" and then either trigger a sound when the deflection gets really large (larger than when you are on the ground stationary) or use a differentiator from that joint output to get the speed at which the gear is compressed (in m/s). You can then use that speed to change your gear sounds.

You also have the wheel .Load, .Skid and .Speed outputs that you can use. You could also differentiate the .Speed to get the acceleration of the wheels or differentiate the .Load to get a value for how quickly the load increases on the main tires.

There are loads and loads of physical values that you can use...

Just make sure to send them to the sound section via "output" object and receive them via "soundinput". Then you can mix them all together as you see fit.

• Hi Kenneth,

Yes you can edit the tmd files to create pretty much any sound you want. You just have to create a mapping for each sound that is used to change its pitch and volume depending on the right factors.

E.g. you can use the rotation speed of the engine to change the pitch of sound to make the sound feel faster or slower.

Make a backup of your tmd files before you start!

- Jan

I will send this to my contact at Just Flight. They are aware of the Duchess sound issue. This info might be useful.

- Kenneth