OAHU for AFS2 in development - Share our excitement!

• Welcome to Part Two of your preview of OAHU for Aerofly FS2. If you've not already done so, please read Part One (earlier in this thread) as it includes important information about the forthcoming scenery.

In this preview, we're taking you on a flight around the coast, moving in an anti-clockwise direction. Our previous image gave you a glimpse of Honolulu International Airport (PHNL). Now, we're going to continue Eastward.

6. Here's your first look at our evolving treatment of the city of Honolulu, the capital of the state of Hawaii. The city is home to approximately 350,000 souls, and the first settlement here dates back to the 11th century. See those sailboats in the bay? You'll be glad to know they are animated, as is the Goodyear blimp, if you can find it.

7. Sweeping down low over the waterfront, you'll notice 3d boats in the marina. In this image we're using standard textures on the high-rise buildings, but we're experimenting with different looks, so as with any element of the scenery, things may change during the development process.

8. To the East of Honolulu, the towns make full use of the topography, sometimes climbing like fingers up the hills. Aina Haina is to the left of the image, and to the bottom right is Paiko Lagoon.

9. After turning to the North again, we head up the Eastern coast and reach the town of Kailua, population around 100,000. Ka'elepulu Pond is under the port wing of our Cessna, and Kaneohe Bay lies further ahead.

10. Situated to the North of Kailua is Marine Corps Air Station Kaneohe Bay. You'll see more images of this base in later previews.

So, that's your second screenshot preview of OAHU. Tomorrow, we'll make our way back to Dillingham, taking in more great coastal scenery along the way. Heck, we might even give you more than five images in that post as I'm having a hard time deciding what to leave out!

And remember, if you're excited about this upcoming addon, please show it by giving this post a thumbs up, or by expressing your thanks to the team members who are working hard to bring it to you. They'll be happy to know their work is appreciated.

Best Regards,

- Kenneth

• What I wanted to ask, and don't take this as criticism, I am just curious and maybe something can be done about this: a lot of the freeware sceneries have quite light and sometimes pale ground textures causing the cultivation to really stick out very obviously. It's as if the textures lack the contrast that the cultivation has. If you know what I mean. I seem to notice the same in the screenshots above. Specially the trees don't seem to fit with the ground inderneath them. Again, just curious: the screenshots look great nonetheless.

• I know what you mean but that maybe isn’t a bad thing. It helps to give the scenery depth. If the trees blended in too much to the imagery then they wouldn’t have the same impact unless you were sitting on the ground.

I understand what you are saying but I think I disagree. ;) I'd prefer the superb perception real life gives me. ;)

• I understand what you are saying but I think I disagree. ;) I'd prefer the superb perception real life gives me. ;)

Well, that is easy. Just go outside and enjoy "the superb perception" of your back yard, and don't startup the simulator. ^^:D:P

• a lot of the freeware sceneries have quite light and sometimes pale ground textures causing the cultivation to really stick out very obviously. It's as if the textures lack the contrast that the cultivation has. If you know what I mean. I seem to notice the same in the screenshots above.

This island is cursed with major cloud coverage. It's not so bad when the clouds are in wooded areas (easy photo editing), it's hard when the cloud cover major cities and certain parts of water inland. A Bing version has been whipped up, edited, and it has the lighter color you speak of. However, I feel the tree coverage to ground color isn't that bad, it actually works in my opinion. The real issue is BING doesn't offer as high of image quality vs. Google. What you are seeing in these pictures is a mix of both sources, and again both image sources have major flaws.. It's not so bad editing both together at zoom level 17. It's hard when you want to add higher levels that don't match lower levels. I would wait for MS2020 if you want real life. This is Freeware..

• I understand what you are saying but I think I disagree. ;) I'd prefer the superb perception real life gives me. ;)

I understand what you are saying, as sims become more sophisticated we do raise the bar of our expectations in general. Having said that, I think you will be pleased with Oahu. There is so much going on, so much to see. Looking at what it offers does mask any imperfections that exist due to limitations of source material.

• I would wait for MS2020 if you want real life. This is Freeware..

I know and I'm grateful already for all the work you guys put in this! :thumbup:I just was curious if it was on purpose or anything. I look forward to flying over OAHU: it will be the first time since MS Flight. ;)

• Welcome to Part Three of the round-the-coast tour of Oahu for Aerofly FS2. Remember, these are work-in-progress shots, and please make sure you've read the previous two parts before viewing this. As before, the numbered captions refer to the screenshot beneath them.

11. We have left the Marine base at Kaneohe Bay behind us, and are skirting communities impossibly-sandwiched between steep slopes and the ocean. Beneath the aircraft is Ka'a'awa, population less than 1500.

12. To the left is Hau'ula, home to several beautiful beaches. Further ahead is Laie, a center of Polynesian culture.

13. Passing Laie, home to around 5,000 people, it's easy to see why this town is a haven for surfing activities. Indeed, the Southern beach is called Pounder's Beach, due to the constant pounding it takes from the breakers.

14. We've turned the point at the Northeast of the island, and are now heading along the Northern coastline. Turtle Bay Golf Resort lies on the right. The red area to the left is part of the Hawaii Operating Engineers Journeymen and Apprentice Training Center.

15. Kawela Bay is so beautiful that I had to turn round and fly over it twice. This protected area is home to beautiful sands, palm trees, stunning azure waters, and turtles.

16. We're coming up to Sunset Beach, a two-mile stretch of glorious sand.

17. Now we're over Pupukea, meaning "White Shell" in Hawaiian. There's a marine life conservation area here. Also environmentally friendly is the wind farm on the hills further South.

18. This is Hale'iwa, a beautiful hamlet located at the mouth of the Anahulu Stream, where it open up into Waialua Bay.

19. Under the port wingtip is Waialua, population around 4,000. We're getting close to Dillingham where our flight began.

20. Well, our coastal preview tour is over. We've flown around the entire coastline, taking in many of the towns, airports, and incredible scenery as we go. But before we return to Dillingham, let's climb up to 10,500ft and get a look at the entire island.

There it is, Oahu in all its spectacular beauty. It's a testament to the incredible work of the team that there's not one cloud in the ortho of this image. That feat alone took many hours of painstaking image editing by hand.

I sincerely hope you've enjoyed this overview of Oahu for Aerofly FS2. It may look like it's complete, but there's a lot more work to do as the guys keep on coming up with new ideas, and adding more custom details. That's why we cannot give a release date yet, we simply don't know when that will be either!

I'll keep on adding more screenshots, one or two at a time, as I allow you to look over our shoulder at the work in progress.

For now....

ALOHA.

- Kenneth

• I sincerely hope you've enjoyed this overview of Oahu for Aerofly FS2. It may look like it's complete, but there's a lot more work to do as the guys keep on coming up with new ideas, and adding more custom details. That's why we cannot give a release date yet, we simply don't know when that will be either!

It will be a real pleasure to fly there, but why don't publishing a beta version for the most impatient like me ? ;)

• Thank you for beta requests gents, and those who contacted us privately too. We're not quite ready to go to beta and share files yet. Thank you for your understanding on this. The collection of files is changing several times a day right now.

- Kenneth

• Thanks Kenneth, this makes the icing on the cake. In my mind, living elements like AI planes, cars, trains (yes), moving water and such are the most important single feature which AeroflyFS2 needs for success.

New planes are nice, new regions are nice, but in my mind, only moving elements will bring AeroflyFS2 to a general acceptance and a steep rise in sales. If I were IPACS, I would halt all developments and only concentrate on moving elements.

Kind regards, Michael

Intel i7-6700K 4.0 GHz / Asus MAXIMUS VIII RANGER / Kingston 32 GB DDR4 / Samsung SSD M.2 500 GB + Samsung SSD 1 TB + Intel SSD 500 GB (AeroflyFS2) + WD HD 6 TB / EVGA GTX 1080Ti 11 GB / LG 34UM95 3440 x 1440 / HP Reverb / Win 10/64