OAHU for AFS2 in development - Share our excitement!

• No news yet this morning. We are all working at full speed to wrap this up for you.

For you sailplane enthusiasts, our custom design engineer/artist just delivered overnight a test model of the beautiful Discus2c sailplane designed for flight. This is a huge step forward for new applications. Here is a sneak peek of our test model. Anyone recognize the pilot?

• OK Gang, this is it. The time is finally here for release of the Hawaiian Islands scenery. This is the first installment and is the islands of Kauai and Niihau. Although these are only part 1 of a planned 4 part release the file sizes remain quite large. The first upload is already in place for you at https://flight-sim.org/filebase/index…or-all-islands/.

This is the Elevation Mesh for all the islands and specifically for Kauai and Niihau. You can download this package and install it as directed in the download.

The second upload of the main files is also now available for download. Look for Hawaiian Islands: Kauai and Niihau

https://flight-sim.org/filebase/index…s-kauai-niihau/

The total of all the files should be about 1.8 GB. Look for document folder with a small pdf file with instructions for installation and other information. These should be installed in your personal addons/scenery folder.

• Large Radar antennas and satellite tracking antennas enclosed for weather, bird strikes, hidden from view of foreign spy planes and satellites and local sailplanes practicing turns around a point. All specially make for this scenery by rodeo and sometimes enlarged or reduced as necessary by TomSimMuc.

• Wow! Wow! Wow!

It's absolutely brilliant. I've spent a couple of hours flying low level around the coast (unfortunately low cloud has prevented any inland excursions) and I am amazed by the detail and, especially, the animations. What a gift to give the community.

One minor glitch I noticed was a yacht "sailing" on dry land on the approach to Port Allen. See the attached image.

Thank you all,

Andrew

• Thanks Andrew, glad you are enjoying the scenery. I thought I had caught all those drunken sailors but, a few always sneak through. Just ignore him for now, he will probably come back to the water shortly. This is a super easy fix, I will chase this down and let you know how.

You do know know to adjust the cloud cover, don't you?

• Please pay attention to the instructions for installation. Everyone is required to have the Elevation Mesh files installed. I see there are quite a few more downloads for the Places and Images files than for the Elevation Mesh files. These should be one to one.

Ray

• I think most of the team might be sleeping in this morning, but, the early indications are that the Maui County islands will the 2nd release. All the votes aren't in yet so it actually could be the Big Island 2nd and Maui following. For sure, Oahu will be the 4 th and crowning release.

This humpback should be in either or both releases. 8o

• Very impressed so far....especially the texture quality, details, that water, those trees and bushes everywhere, the shorelines....Very immersive in VR!

I am running a low spec system (see below) with only 3 GB VRAM.

Textures, mesh and image in Ultra, shadows Medium and buildings and trees in High quality. Boats/animations at 50%.

Smooth VR experience, even around Barking Sands, at Lihue airport I need to set building density at medium quality though.

Very well done team!!!

:)

Regards,

Peter Splinter

i5-7400@3,4 GHz, 16GB RAM, GTX 1660 Super, Pico 4, Quest 2 , 'Vintage' Pro Flight Trainer, X52 Pro, VKB pedals

• Looking forward to the 2nd release. A little earlier today we decided the next release will be Maui County. This will include the well known tourist island of Maui with 3 airports, Molokai also with 3 airport, Lanai with one airport, and Kahoclawe with a helipad, The helipad on Maui is way up high on the mountain at a popular lookout with parking and buildings for viewing in all directions.

As we progress with completing the scenery, we will stop by here with tid-bits and screenshots. You might want to start getting familiar with some of the lesser travelled islands. For instance, Molokai, known mostly for the Leper Colony and the scenic valleys and coves, does not have a single traffic light on the island. Lanai is where the pineapple gained worldwide popularity and at one time produced 75% of the entire worlds supply of Dole pineapples. Lanai is a privately owned island and was recently sold by one billionaire to another billionaire. More on that later.

Kahoclawwe, the smallest of the eight main islands is known as the forgotten island with no infrastructure other than some basic facilities for volunteers that arrive by boat each day. These volunteers work in the fields restoring native vegetation that was destroyed by years of bombing practice by the U. S. Navy then return home each evening.

Most of the focus will be on ortho color corrections and all the water masking that will be needed to blend all the islands for our island hopping.

• I just wanted to say thanks to the entire team for this outstanding piece of work.

I own every payware add-on I know of for AF2 and this is right up there with the best of them, so even more astounding given you’re kindly gifting it to us.

I’ve only had a short amount of time to play so far, but I’m loving it. Ship landings, all the lovely little animations like the golf carts, people, custom buildings...:)