Paris - Ile-de-France for AFS2 NOW AVAILABLE!

• I am completely amazed by the beauty of all these screenshots! 8|

I have never used a France VFR product but there with this AFS product I want to buy!

I am particularly sensitive to the modeling of buildings and there it looks like it is great art!

Antoine could you please indicate which data source you used for the footprints and the heights of the buildings? OSM?

FYI in 2015 I made scripts to import into OSM the heights (well just the number of floors) on more than 50,000 buildings in Paris, roughly half of all of the city's buildings. My data source was the open data portal of the municipality of Paris but there were things to improve and we can do even more. More info are available on the OSM wiki. With the free scene in Paris I was already very happy to see my work put to good use.

In any case, I can't wait to be able to try this scene, which will undoubtedly be a real work of art.

Congratulations to you and the whole team of France VFR :thumbup:

Thanks, Vincent.

• The scenery is on final approach, speed brakes are armed, gear is down, fasten your seat belts and watch this little trailer :)

External Content www.youtube.com
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

i9 9900K @5.2 Ghz - Gigabyte GEForce RTX 2080 - Asus Z390 Pro Gaming - 32Go de RAM DDR4 3200Mhz / PC2: i7 8700K OC 5.1Ghz - Geforce GTX 1070 OC 8Go - Asus ROG Maximus X Hero - 32Go DDR4 @ 3200 - SSD 5.5To

• The scenery is on final approach, speed brakes are armed, gear is down, fasten your seat belts and watch this little trailer :)

Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

looking good guys! The backing track though ?? It sounds like a serial killer might emerge from the back seat of that Cessna any second.

• Yeah you’re right let’s call it a teaser indeed it is more to flag the fact that the release is very close now (by month end if everything goes well)

It is not an official video just myself featuring some views of the last beta version with a look and feel of a little trailer (I guess you noticed the wink to FS2020 trailer here ;) )

i9 9900K @5.2 Ghz - Gigabyte GEForce RTX 2080 - Asus Z390 Pro Gaming - 32Go de RAM DDR4 3200Mhz / PC2: i7 8700K OC 5.1Ghz - Geforce GTX 1070 OC 8Go - Asus ROG Maximus X Hero - 32Go DDR4 @ 3200 - SSD 5.5To

• The buildings looks really nice on this.

I see some irregular shaped ones. I curious if they were ported from a version of this for another sim, or whether France VFR has a tool to generate irregular building shapes, like World2XP.

We've got our own technology to generate irregular building shapes and 3D oriented roofs on irregular shapes, the most difficult :)

The difference with xp concept is important : our buildings are real 3D buildings, not just facades with a flat roof that are not 3D objects with all properties to apply on...

• We've got our own technology to generate irregular building shapes and 3D oriented roofs on irregular shapes, the most difficult :)

The difference with xp concept is important : our buildings are real 3D buildings, not just facades with a flat roof that are not 3D objects with all properties to apply on...

And the result looks really amazing !

I'm still interested to know what is the source of your data for your building generation:

Antoine could you please indicate which data source you used for the footprints and the heights of the buildings? OSM?

FYI in 2015 I made scripts to import into OSM the heights (well just the number of floors) on more than 50,000 buildings in Paris, roughly half of all of the city's buildings. My data source was the open data portal of the municipality of Paris but there were things to improve and we can do even more. More info are available on the OSM wiki. With the free scene in Paris I was already very happy to see my work put to good use.

In any case, I can't wait to be able to try this scene, which will undoubtedly be a real work of art.

• Our data comes from a specific contract with french IGN that is the national geographic institute. For the center of Paris city we did not use the most accurate data available because it is too "heavy" and buildings are too much detailed ! We used a compromize of grouped buildings like small US cities "blocks" to save performance, but maybe later we'll be able to include our best data sets...

• Here is an example from 2015 of the 3DA tehnology generating Paris city with max details, about 4x more polygons than the actual version, using the IGN data in its most accurate version. It was just a test under FSX but maybe we'll be able to include such data in a near future ? :)

• Impressive ! :huh:

So If I understand correctly the Aerofly scenery will have less than 4 times less polygons than the above screenshot under FSX (yes there is two times the word "less" in my sentence). That said, from what we've seen so far, it doesn't seem to be very annoying...

The product from IGN you have used as data source for buildings is the BD ORTHO BATI or is it something not "visible" on their website ? Sorry to be so curious ;)

• The example is just to show the level of detail we are able to handle, but as explained we use in the scenery (and in all the screenshots shown) a lower level to get the better compromize quality/performance.

For the source data you can understand I cannot give the detailed exact information, for commercial and strategy reasons... but it is an IGN BATI database (ORTHO BATI does not exist ! it is ORTHO raster or BATI vector) :)

Edited once, last by France VFR (February 21, 2020 at 10:07 PM).

• So If I understand correctly the Aerofly scenery will have less than 4 times less polygons than the above screenshot under FSX.

Not exactly, since the FSX test screenshot only covers intramuros while the AFS2 scenery covers Ile-de-France, with much much more features.

This more detailed source was also initially tried out in AFS2, it ran quite smoothly, but not knowing how users’ systems would handle the final scenery when we load everything we went for the same sources as in the FSX/P3D scenery, with the less detailed (though still very detailed) source.

Some places of the AFS2 scenery locally use the more detailed source, let’s see if you find them when the scenery is available ;)

Cheers

Antoine

Config : i7 6900K - 20MB currently set at 3.20GHz, Cooling Noctua NH-U14S, Motherboard ASUS Rampage V Extreme U3.1, RAM HyperX Savage Black Edition 16GB DDR4 3000 MHz, Graphic Card Gigabyte GeForce GTX 1080 8GB, Power supply Corsair RM Series 850W, Windows 10 64 bit.

Edited once, last by Trespassers (February 22, 2020 at 8:50 AM).

• Last video before the release, this time more a trailer than a teaser and no serial killer in the back seat.. :D

This is real time footage, speed 100% full details graphics maxed out and AFS2 is installed on my second PC (the less powerful , see my signature)

I recommand to view it full screen in HD 1080 if you have the bandwidth.

Enjoy!