Aerofly FS2020 Hi-resolution aerial photos in-app download

• Hi,

I couldn’t find an answer and I know I’m not the only one having this question.

What does downloading “high-res aerial photos” actually do? I can’t tell the difference. Switzerland has its textures in higher resolution and I thought it’ll be the case with the US after this in-app download but as I said, I don’t see any difference and the textures in San Francisco or Denver for example look rather bad.

(It reads “Installed” under both regions”)

• What does downloading “high-res aerial photos” actually do? I can’t tell the difference. Switzerland has its textures in higher resolution and I thought it’ll be the case with the US after this in-app download but as I said, I don’t see any difference and the textures in San Francisco or Denver for example look rather bad.

This has been raised before. I have it installed and don’t notice much of an improvement in all honesty.

I am trying to download it but once I get to 80% it just kicks me out of the app and have to restart the download. Is this really worth downloading?

• @listerreg: The free hi-res aerial images InApp adds more high resolution ( around 4 to 8 meters per pixel ) around most airports, so you will see actually more details in a larger area around each airport. The Switzerland InApp features high resolution aerial images of Switzerland along with around 20 airports including Zuerich International.

Aviation enthusiast.: Please ensure you have enough free storage on your device and that you are connected to the internet through WiFi and not your mobile carrier.

• admin the storage isn’t a problem. I have plenty space and still at 80% it stops downloading. First time I thought it lost connection to your server but for the second time it was the same (80% and stopped) but this time it said “Thank you for buying HiRes Aerial Images. Enjoy your new region” and now it says “Installed” under it. I’m sorry but this is BS. iPad settings are saying that Aerofly takes only 3.88GB for the app and 3.6GB for the Documents and Data (which is Switzerland).

• Try rebooting your iPad then check storage used. It doesn’t always update straight away.

admin the storage isn’t a problem. I have plenty space and still at 80% it stops downloading. First time I thought it lost connection to your server but for the second time it was the same (80% and stopped) but this time it said “Thank you for buying HiRes Aerial Images. Enjoy your new region” and now it says “Installed” under it. I’m sorry but this is BS. iPad settings are saying that Aerofly takes only 3.88GB for the app and 3.6GB for the Documents and Data (which is Switzerland).

In my opinion it was a pain at first. The game kicked me out multiple times. At one point it even said installed but nothing had changed and said buy again. I was able to get it to work by restarting my iPhone and was able to get it to download. When I was able to get it to work it stopped at 80% then finished. I think 80% is when the package installs so it could take some time and may sometimes cause the game to crash.

• We have tried the download of the additional InApp regions multiple times on over 10 different iOS devices and various iOS versions and never experienced any issues. We are aware of the fact that some users are having issues, but we can't reproduce them on our side unfortunately. For purchasing and downloading those InApp's we are using Apple services and Apple example code, so it's very difficult for us to track down the exact issue.

We have found out however two things that caused download failures on user devices: Not enough storage on the iOS device or an unreliable WiFi connection. Apple requires roughly twice the amount of free storage when downloading the InApp. Also when the WiFi connection is interrupted, the download isn't always resuming properly.

We will look into this issue in more detail and see if we can somehow trigger those issues on our side as well to make it more reliable.

• I wouldn’t want to negate anything from ‘Admin’ or Jan, I found that the iOS device before my current one needed free storage equal to the current Aerofly installation plus the extra download so do you have 8 GB or more of storage free? If you do not, moving data or apps off the device for a while might do the trick. Starting from a fresh boot and trying it at a quiet time for your internet provider might help. Good luck.

• Shoot, now I’m wondering if my download didn’t install either ... I tried multiple times and then I left it and when I came back it said “installed” but checking the storage it is showing what an earlier poster said, ie around 3.9 GB for the game and then 3.6 GB for documents and data ... could it be a general bug if so many of us on iOS are experiencing this? I’m reluctant to redo the purchase/download but happy to try that again if people think that’s what is best to do. Thanks.

• I just re-installed and have the exact same storage markers (app size and documents/data). So either (a) the 3.6 GB is actually somehow Switzerland + the western US or (b) a bunch of us are having the same problem, in particular as the install seems to be happening at 80%. I can’t tell if there is a difference in the graphics in the western US because I originally ‘installed’ the photo pack before I played the first time.

So definitely something that hopefully the Devs can look at in more detail!

• If 3.6 GB is shown in your 'Documents & Data' folder then it looks like Switzerland and the Hi-Res texture pack are both installed, so all is fine.

Switzerland is roughly 1.8 GB by itself and the Hi-Res texture data also. Hi-Res data means, that around most airports the radius of 4-8m data is larger, we haven't added aerial images with higher resolution at the actual airports.

• I think the descriptions for the add ons may cause a little confusion as I recall it mentioned something like 4GB free space required for each of them so users are probably expecting to see 8GB data used as opposed to 3.6GB. I'm assuming this requirement is only for the installation process and not final storage used.