The HP Reverb makes me appreciate the performance of Aerofly

• I finally got my new gaming PC built, and finally got a chance to test out the HP Reverb that has sat in it's box for two months, waiting for a PC capable of doing it justice.

The headset itself has it's quirks and annoyances, but for flying and racing sims, it's probably the best out there. Actually being able to read every part of instrument in the cockpit is a game changer.

Looking down and seeing real detail in the airport below, rather than pixelated mush is something special. Coming from the Rift CV1 it feels like huge step up.

I thought I go "all in" for a first stress test, Vulkan, Aerofly graphics on ultra, downtown NYC, 6k feet so thousands of buildings to render. Aerofly handled it perfectly. I didn't have time to do a proper FPS test, but I couldn't detect any reprojection, stutter, choppiness. The textures and details of the aircraft cockpit really come to life when you can see them clearly.

What's more, I haven't even overclocked my PC yet, this is a 9700k running at the stock 3.6Ghz, with an RTX 2080 Super.

So thanks IPACS, I felt like a tried out the high-res VR future of flight simming last night. :thumbup:

I agree with Spit40 that I now don't crave much better resolution in VR. I want better FOV, better optics, bigger sweet-spot, less CA, better comfort etc. It never ends. ;)

AeroScenery - Easily create photoreal scenery for Aerofly

• It is amazing and the detail is superb. A bit more comfort would be nice as you say - I'm finding the leather facepad less than comfortable, so I just ordered one of these cheap and cheerful alternatives. I read somewhere that the fit is OK for the Reverb. I'll find out.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/10mm-Face-…497.m4902.l9144

The other thing I've *finally* done is start using Voiceattack. Its so useful with VR, and saves me needing buttons for things like: centre VR, launch SteamVR for WMR, internal/external/follow view, pan left, pan right, exit, screenshot, seat adjustments.

• I'll find out...

I was looking at those this morning. Let me know if it improves things. I also found the leather facepad uncomfortable after a while. My "bulky" nose doesn't help either. Rhinoplasty for more comfortable VR seems extreme though.

Will check out Voiceattack, that looks really useful.

My biggest frustration with WMR so far is why recentering the view is so hard. (Desktop app > Setup > No boundary > Center). Am I missing something?

• I don't have any trouble centering. I just hit the space bar and use FS2's centre functionality (via voiceattack now). The FS2 launch screen always starts out of view.

• For those of you with a Reverb, I propose a vision clarity test - pretty simple. With your eye position in the proper reference point in the Q400 (use the white/black ball helper on the center window frame), can you read the airspeed on the first officer's PFD and maybe even guess at the altitude. Also, I hit the PERF button on the CDU and read the weight just fine - without any leaning in and at 2160x2116 (or so) SS and maybe 1.2 Render Scale Factor in FS2. I use this because I want a repeatable clarity test every time WMR Portal, SteamVR, Nvidia drivers, etc updates occur. Please let me know.

• I appreciate the Reverb, notably its clearness, as well. One of the downsides is the ugly WMR software, though. Can anyone post his WMR settings for using the Reverb in AeroflyFS2? I recall there was a thread already, which, however, was a bit confusing notably on the optimum resolution setting (79% vs. 100%).

Thanks and kind regards, Michael

Intel i7-6700K 4.0 GHz / Asus MAXIMUS VIII RANGER / Kingston 32 GB DDR4 / Samsung SSD M.2 500 GB + Samsung SSD 1 TB + Intel SSD 500 GB (AeroflyFS2) + WD HD 6 TB / EVGA GTX 1080Ti 11 GB / LG 34UM95 3440 x 1440 / HP Reverb / Win 10/64

• I appreciate the Reverb, notably its clearness, as well. One of the downsides is the ugly WMR software, though. Can anyone post his WMR settings for using the Reverb in AeroflyFS2? I recall there was a thread already, which, however, was a bit confusing notably on the optimum resolution setting (79% vs. 100%).

I'm away from my gaming PC, but I'm running WMR with default settings (high quality visuals) and Steam VR for WMR at the closest value to the Reverbs hardware resolution (2160 per eye).

I haven't tried super-sampling with Steam yet (e.g. running at more than the native res of the headset) as the clarity and lack of aliasing look good to me.

Not sure if WMR settings become irrelevant when running a Stream VR game. Maybe so.

Running at 79% would only be optimal if your PC can't handle 100% or more.

Edit: Various Windows & Steam updates seem to have changed what the resolution percentage means in Steam. Best to ignore it and get the "resolution per eye" value near or slightly higher than the native res of the headset.

Edited 2 times, last by nickhod (January 28, 2020 at 12:31 PM).

• Thanks Nick, I'll have a closer look.

Kind regards, Michael

Intel i7-6700K 4.0 GHz / Asus MAXIMUS VIII RANGER / Kingston 32 GB DDR4 / Samsung SSD M.2 500 GB + Samsung SSD 1 TB + Intel SSD 500 GB (AeroflyFS2) + WD HD 6 TB / EVGA GTX 1080Ti 11 GB / LG 34UM95 3440 x 1440 / HP Reverb / Win 10/64

• With the Reverb (or possibly any VR HMD ), I heartily recommend the ORBX Monterrey scenery. It just seems to be one of the most real and best performing airports. Stay close to it in any aircraft and fly low over it in the biplane or whatever and you will be amazed at how good it looks in the Reverb. Low passes down RWY10 let you test for smoothness of reprojection and is just plain fun! There are other good airports (like LOWI ), but they did this one very nicely.

• With the Reverb (or possibly any VR HMD ), I heartily recommend the ORBX Monterrey scenery. It just seems to be one of the most real and best performing airports. Stay close to it in any aircraft and fly low over it in the biplane or whatever and you will be amazed at how good it looks in the Reverb. Low passes down RWY10 let you test for smoothness of reprojection and is just plain fun! There are other good airports (like LOWI ), but they did this one very nicely.

I've done this several times in the Turbo Arrow, previously using my ACER AH101 and now the Reverb. Taking off from KSFO and flying along the coast line finally approaching KMRY is a great visual experience indeed. The whole airport up to the jet parking plus the whole Cannery Row city is outstanding.

We really need more of this class of aiports. But that's been done by Jarrad Marshall who's just a class of his own (but unfortunately gave up on AeroflyFS2).

Kind regards, Michael

• I'm lurking here but am trying to decide which VR headset to get next. I have the first Rift sitting here and I'm just tired of the screen door effect and lack of clarity. The HP Reverb looks really good... especially the Pro version. So more to think about. Good thread!

• The new face cushion has arrived. Not as pretty or neat a fit as the original of course. It is wider though so spreads the pressure more comfortably. What it doesn't fix though is the need for a nose job to avoid a stiletto heel type pressure on the bridge of my nose. I think the next experiment is a little piece of padding placed inside the nose recess.

• The new face cushion has arrived. Not as pretty or neat a fit as the original of course.

Yeah I remembered an Oculus Go 3rd party face cushion that I had and tried it on the Reverb. I found that it let my face get too near the lenses so I could see the screen edges. Pressure on the nose was worse, but comfort around the eyes was better.

The facial interface of the Reverb seems have a plastic bit that pushes the foam out from the headset body. It's hard to model, but if I had a 3rd printed version of that, suck some velcro on it, then added the 3rd party cushion to it, the result would probably be good.

I wonder if HP sell spare facial interfaces :/

I'm surprised the company "VR Cover" hasn't made one by now. They seem to have solutions for everything else out there.

• I'm lurking here but am trying to decide which VR headset to get next. I have the first Rift sitting here and I'm just tired of the screen door effect and lack of clarity. The HP Reverb looks really good... especially the Pro version. So more to think about. Good thread!

It's a good headset overall. If you play other games in VR I'd recommend either keeping the Rift or getting a Rift S, but for sims where the controllers aren't used much you can't beat that amazing clarity.

• puuhhhh , but i dont want to pay 600,- for another (second) one and have 2 VR Headsets ... mhhhhh only for FS2 ?

MHHhhhh

mfg, Jens ... Flight-Sim.org

Mein Home-Cockpit ... My Simulator Hardware

MSI PRO Z690-P DDR4 --- SI INTEL Core i7-13700F 2.1GHz LGA1700 Tray --- Palit RTX4070 JetStream 12GB DDR6 --- 16GB DDR4 PC4400 --- SSD Patriot 1TB M.2 Viper VP4300 --- Pimax Crystal

Alles fliegt irgendwie,
    fragt sich nur wielange

• I'm exploring options for those of us using HP Reverbs and have a big snozz.

1. Put a sticking plaster on your nose
    2. Put some of this on it
    3. Make an alternative shaped nose recess (3d print?) and seat it with double sided tape inside the reverb one. It would have to push the HMD away from your face a little
    4. Thicken the face pad with double sided velcro - or a layer of velcro felt/foam/velcro hooks