Lynx MK7 now available

• Ray

Have you tried 'advanced movements' in the settings/view menu. I am the only one with the original TMD file as the ones shipped with helicopters are encrypted so no need to go looking for one. To be honest, when you get used to looking at the Lynx panels it fails to become an issue, for gauges we just check they are in the green, for switches you just know where they should be, forward in most cases, for MI's wrong ones just stick out like a sore thumb, for the fuel gauge when the winky wanky lights come on your getting too low.

Throttle Levers...it's not possible to map the throttles for these reasons.

1. I actually use 3 throttles..... 2 ECL's and the Speed Select Lever which effectively moves both ECL outputs in the sim, to go from 100% to 107%.

2. Helicopters use HelicopterThrottle which is not the same as the standard aircraft throttle so I don't think it could be bound.

VR...yes it's difficult to move things in the throttle quadrant, there is a lot happening and VR seems to have a cut off point as you get closer to the viewpoint where selection becomes an issue, I assume it's something similar to objects appearing to be smaller, switches and knobs need to be 30% bigger to look the same. I'm not happy also with the selection issue but I think its just a fact of life we have to live with. As I said in the manual, just lean towards the drivers door to make the distance bigger

• Larry,

Like most good things, the more time I spend with the Lynx the more I like it. It is certainly a lot easier to fly than the R-22. One thing I have noticed is the sound volume inside is a lot louder than the sound outside (where I fly the most).

I messed around with the move and zoom controls, up, downs, left, right, front and back and now have somewhat better control. Still not great, but workable for now.

I would like to learn to fly one of these things someday. I can get from point A to point B but I keep looking at the FIP at the top of the screen and the % power never changes but I can still go forward, backwards, and up and down, so it must not be that important. X/:S:/

You did a great job on this one for sure, Looking forward to the Tilt one.

Is the paint kit available?

• Yes I do have a paintkit which I have just posted

I have been trying to produce a livery using the method described in the Wiki but no matter what I do I cannot output a livery so will leave it to the professionals.

Now before you say, ah but how do you do yours, I use a very different method as I use all the original model files as if doing a full compile of the Lynx. I'm not allowed to distribute certain files from that setup so I can't help. Also my aircraft converter is setup differently from standard so I would rather not disturb that either.

• Great work! Took me a while to get the startup sequence correct but that was all me.

Noticed when on the ground with collective fully down, applying left or right pedal is enough to make the whole aircraft spin rapidly on the skids. Is this normal?

• Yes I do have a paintkit which I have just posted

I have been trying to produce a livery using the method described in the Wiki but no matter what I do I cannot output a livery so will leave it to the professionals.

Now before you say, ah but how do you do yours, I use a very different method as I use all the original model files as if doing a full compile of the Lynx. I'm not allowed to distribute certain files from that setup so I can't help. Also my aircraft converter is setup differently from standard so I would rather not disturb that either.

I think the Repaint Tutorial in the Wiki is out-of-date and out-of-sync with the new Aircraft Workshop and Aircraft Converter that came with this latest sdk installation. Nothing seems to match up with file names and folder names. It looks like apples and oranges to me.

Larry,

Is there a word or two missing here?

• I coq

Where the heck did that collective come from???

• Larry - what can I say???

First of all - despite the fact that you asked that we made a donation to a local retired service members foundation, should we find that the Lynx is NEAR payware quality, I have nonetheless gone ahead and made a sizeable contribution to RSL - the local club here in Oz. This is despite the fact it is not NEAR payware quality - it BLOWS virtually any payware out of the water!!! It is just brilliant through and through and is the most enjoyable rotary wing sim experience I have ever had - period! And I have bought all current and past X-plane add-ons and fly regularly in a motion rig with full helicontrols. I am in awe of the skills that you have and the work that you have put into the Lynx. And the fact that you have made it available to the community as donationware (to a charitable organisation of our own choosing) commands a massive amount of respect!!!

Like the others - the only "niggle" was VR manipulation of the throttles, but it is well worth the obstacles. Fingers crossed that IPACS can accommodate your masterpiece with some 3 more axis for the 2 ECLs and the SSL, (along with Enginestart Eng #1 & #2) so that we can bind them to a spare set of throttles that many of us has collecting dust in the corner of the man-cave.

With both engines whirring away and the checklist completed I did a supply mission to Everest basecamp out of Lukla. It was a most enjoyable trip up the valley and the Lynx performed flawlessly and I managed to hover it in ground effect up at basecamp, before setting it down. Even thought the mission started with full fuel (and it seems that fuel burn is modeled realistically), I made a foolhardy attempt at the peak of Everest and ALMOST made it. In fact I made it up the Khumbu Icefalls and crept across the Hillary step and made it all the way up to 27.500 feet, before it run out of oomph, and I ended up in a settling-with-power situation where a sideways escape away from the mountain ensured I could return down to Lukla to live another day.... So, there's still some injured climbers up there that I will leave for another mission with reduced fuel-load, unless someone else beats me to it;-)

Thanks again Larry - your Lynx is EXACTLY what AFS2 needed to inject some enthusiasm into this hobby! Brilliant - just brilliant!!!

Flying A330 as a day-job and enjoy VR-flying with PIMAX 5k+. NextLevelRacing v.3 Motion platform, Watercooled and overclocked i9-9900k, 32Gb 3600RAM, Samsung 970EVO Pro 2Tb m.2, nVidia RTX-2080Ti FE, Thrustmaster HOTAS, VKB pedals, Cockpitforyou motorised throttle quadrant, Precision Flight Controls Jetliner column

• Hi Ray

Nope I think the wording is correct, No2 NF should not indicate. Only time this would happen is if you were doing a Main Drive start, not the recommended way but in operational times it is allowed, there is a real danger of the Lynx tipping over before you have control if the previous occupant (pilot or maintenance) has not left all the controls central. With no hydraulic power you can move the controls but there will be nothing happening at the rotor head, it's all hydraulic up there with no manual reversion.

Hi Ozav8r

As you put it..what can I say ?

Glad you enjoyed it and the donation is all the thanks I need. Perhaps some of the very talented Lukla lads can add some climbers to the scenery, make it worth while.

Steve

• Flies a bit different from the one in WT. GJ claims to have sim level quality. I fly EC120, Jetranger IRL. For my the Lynx appear to be hard to handle in AFS2

X-Plane 12.x | DCS 2.5.7 | War Thunder | Aerofly FS4

Win11-x64 | Lenovo Legion T7 34LMZ5 | Intel i7-10700K @3.6GHz | Kingston FuryX RGB 32GB DDR4 PC3733 | 6TB SSD Samsung 850 Pro | 3TB M2 PCI 4x | Gigabyte RTX 3070 Ti Vision OC | TM Hotas Warthog | Saitek Combat Pedals | Reverb G2 V2 | Lenovo Legion Y25g-30 360hz

• Flies a bit different from the one in WT. GJ claims to have sim level quality. I fly EC120, Jetranger IRL. For my the Lynx appear to be hard to handle in AFS2

Well don't go flying a real r22 if you think this Lynx is hard to fly as my real R22 is a squirrel compared to this Lynx! I can land the Lynx on a ship and platform now, very stable and consistent. but you do need to spend some time getting the feel.

• Another thing that is a bit tricky. In VR, the handles sometimes cannot be moved. It sometimes misses the focus and the collective does not move unless you reload the Lynx.

Well don't go flying a real r22 if you think this Lynx is hard to fly as my real R22 is a squirrel compared to this Lynx! I can land the Lynx on a ship and platform now, very stable and consistent. but you do need to spend some time getting the feel.

I don't like the R22 IRL, I am flying it here as it is the only Helo until today. But since I use hardware for the sim, my R22 has a stick :)

X-Plane 12.x | DCS 2.5.7 | War Thunder | Aerofly FS4

Win11-x64 | Lenovo Legion T7 34LMZ5 | Intel i7-10700K @3.6GHz | Kingston FuryX RGB 32GB DDR4 PC3733 | 6TB SSD Samsung 850 Pro | 3TB M2 PCI 4x | Gigabyte RTX 3070 Ti Vision OC | TM Hotas Warthog | Saitek Combat Pedals | Reverb G2 V2 | Lenovo Legion Y25g-30 360hz

Edited once, last by drhotwing1 (IPACS): Merged a post created by MartinM into this post. (February 9, 2020 at 4:32 PM).

• I don't like the R22 IRL, I am flying it here as it is the only Helo until today. But since I use hardware for the sim, my R22 has a stick :)

I love the r22 now a very agile seat of the pants machine that needs your complete attention . Its very windy here in Western Australia on the coast and when the wind s hit 20 to 25 knots with a 15 knot cross wind the bug smashing Cessna's all go to their hanger and the R22 is the king of the airport. Its certainly a difficult machine to master, no hydraulics, always power limited and gets blow around like a balloon and a trim that is a bungee cord and auto rotations are always on a knife edge!

• Is there possibly a Lynx7 Startup video in our future?

Surely there are more than a few of us fixed wing pilots and wantabe pilots that are fuzzy about throttle, er ECL positions and directions of movement both starting and flying.

I suppose because there is no physical movement of those two handles hanging from the ceiling it makes me think I am not doing something that maybe I should be doing.

When watching the few YouTube videos both sticks seem to be pointing straight down all the time. Is this the correct position? Sorry, to sound so dumb, but, I have less and zero experience in a Lynx, however, I am eager to do some serious exploring in the FS2 world with it.

• Hi Ray

The 2 ECL Levers and the Speed Select Lever act as throttles but not the same as in a plank, they simply set the engines to flight power and that's where it all stays. In the Lynx the 2 ECL levers set each engine to approx 95% in the sim (100% in a real Lynx). The SSL then sets both engines to 100% (102.7% IRL) and rotor speed to 107% NR. To add to the mix the SSL knob effectively moves eng No2 governor datum to match eng No1, this means they both share the load as only one engine drives the rotor at any one time as they are effectively matched. Bit like a constant juggle between the 2...Now I hear you ask, why does the sim use 100%, good question, it doesn't seem to want to go any more. I could have fiddled the gauges to look like it does but it really starts to mess other things up and I'm sure your agree the TMD is bloody confusing at the best of times (specially with zero documentation) and I wasn't going to argue with it over 2.7%

What this means is.......... wang em all forward and forget about them.

What makes you fly is the collective, that stick to the pilots left. up and we go up, down and you get the idea.

Flight control is via a mixture of the collective, cyclic and rudder pedals (anti torque to some)

So

Collective up/down

Cyclic forwards/backwards/left/right

Rudder rotate on the spot

Of course its all a little more involved than that but that's the simple version

Steve

• Any tips on doing the startup procedure in VR? I'm thinking to print the manual out on paper then lift the headset and peep at each step. Seems a bit clumsy though but I can't really think of another way. Is there a more elegant solution anyone has thought of?

i5-12600K/MSI RTX 3080/Win11/64Gb RAM/Asus Xonar DX+ Beyer DT990 pro headphones/LG 34" UM65 @2560x1080/Quest Pro/TM Warthog+VKB MkIV Rudder pedals

• Any tips on doing the startup procedure in VR? I'm thinking to print the manual out on paper then lift the headset and peep at each step. Seems a bit clumsy though but I can't really think of another way. Is there a more elegant solution anyone has thought of?

Learn in 2D with advance movements enabled. I printed mine, and it made it soo much easier. Do it a couple of times. Then go to VR.

• For people (especially, but not limited to VR) struggling with the comprehensive checklists, I've created a voiceattack profile which covers all of the lists. Here's a quick video of a small proportion of the startup. Let me know if you want the profile. It's taken me a few hours to write so donations to the associated retired servicemen's charity would be welcomed. I'll add a link to the profile in my Google drive folder if anyone wants it.

External Content www.youtube.com
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

• Notwithstanding the aforementioned startup in VR (headset off, glasses on, glasses off, headset on ad nauseam ^^), finally got it started and airborne and then.....

took it through an entire low-level aerobatic sequence including back-flips, rolls and (Chinese) loops. And I didn't crash (but came close once)

The aircraft handling is exceptional, and the VC cockpit looks perfect

This is beautiful work, thank you very much for your efforts