Lynx MK7 now available

• As I said, initially they were. Their position is governed by some code in the graphics section which in turn is governed by the code in the dynamics section. To correct this I would need to make adjustments, recompile and the release just a TMQ file. We are then in a situation where files are not matched up. 2 TMQ files and endless comments just for the sake of a graphics correction. If I ever need to do some major mods to the Lynx I will update the graphics on the ECL

• If you look at the real throttle the detent peg (just seen on the left one) on the ECL is at the front, so when the ECL is closed for instance the detent that you see is actually away from where ECL centre is giving the illusion that detent is in the wrong place. These detents are adjustable to help set the engines up. what you see at the ground idle detent is actually a range the lever can be in.

When I first made the Lynx the ECL movement was mostly full travel but as development continued the engines changed quite a bit. The is zero information on the engines and how to set them up, it was lots of trial and lots of error. Thankfully as an ex aircraft tech I understood what should be happening but it didn't always work out that way.

Over time I sort of perfected them but the correlation between what you see and what the dynamics system is doing has sort of got out of sync slightly. As a result of weeks of engine setup the ground idle also moved towards the cut off, it's a very fine line between the engine working and it blowing up. The real EGT is somewhere over 1400 degrees, but by some smoke and mirrors I make it appear everything is fine. We have to remember quite a lot I did on the Lynx pushed the sim to places it didn't like going. No1 engine uses an actuated freewheel (ACC/MAIN drive switch), No2 engine a standard freewheel. FS2 doesn't have an actuated freewheel so Jan and I had to get creative . The Lynx was, and still is, very much experimental.

When you push the ECL's forward as far as they can go the engines should read 95%, as long as that is happening the underlying system is working fine. 100% engine is only attainable when you move the SSL to max. Another bit of creative TMD work I had to come up with and then we throw the Torque matching into the mix and it gets entertaining

Wait till the CH53E see's the light of day...a TMD nightmare :S

Thanks Larry,

My last post with the RL photo was posted at the same time as your earlier reply so please ignore it. From your description then I can assume ground idle is roughly half of travel, and flight idle is where the 'ground idle' text is, with full being at full travel. That will do me fine!

I fully appreciate that it was a complete nightmare adapting the complex Lynx model to work in the relatively 'uncomplex' FS2 environment and hat's off to you sir for that. If you do update the graphics it might be worth changing the text of the GND IDLE - it was that which caused the confusion for me in the first place.

Thanks again for your efforts and answering my questions. Much appreciated.

Regards,

John.

• I wonder if a project like this has encouraged IPACS to develop a more complex helicopter modelling system that will allow for some of the deeper stuff going on in the Lynx and beyond.

i5-12600K/MSI RTX 3080/Win11/64Gb RAM/Asus Xonar DX+ Beyer DT990 pro headphones/LG 34" UM65 @2560x1080/Quest Pro/TM Warthog+VKB MkIV Rudder pedals

• I'm sure the guys at IPACS will be working hard on all aspects.

John (nexus), I looked at fixing the problem, the texture map is easy to re-do, as is moving the ECL forward some more. Problem then arises with all the engine figures which start to change as they are all linked, great... Think my next project will be a paper dart :rolleyes: Ground idle is pretty close to off, if you move the ECL from off you should feel a slight resistance, wish it was more pronounced, maybe it can be adjusted, will check that also. Has to go all the way back to near off to get the NF to fall back.

John Hargreaves, My next less complicated helicopter is the CH53E, guess that will push the sim hard, 4 engines (APU is an engine) 7 blades and a canted tail rotor, Systems are proving a challenge but my old brain need to be kept active

Steve

• The ch53 will certainly be a challenge! Looking forward to it.

I now have my voiceattack profile done for all the checklists. I made a complete startup video, which will finish uploading in a couple of hours. With my checklists I can start up in under 10 mins. I don't think it's cheating toooo much :) Let me know the bits I've done wrong!

External Content www.youtube.com
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

• The chase camera, or whatever the 3rd person camera which typically looks at the aircraft from behind, is different with this chopper. The camera faces the aircraft from the front and right.

This view is normally handy for situational awareness and casual scenic flight. It also allows head tracking to pan, which other views do not.

Is there anyway to change this?

• Hi John

In my Man Flu fuelled stupor I was going to type, do it yourself, then I realised, actually you can't.

The helicopter TMD is encrypted unlike it's aircraft counterpart so your a bit knackered. Guess this isn't something the guys at IPACS thought about so perhaps they can introduce a camera.tmd file, used only for camera adjustments.

Right I'm off back to bed so no more questions <X

Told you I was bad, even got the name wrong, should have been Greg :whistling:

• Here is the basics of a soon to be U.S. Coast Guard repaint of this wonderful Lynx7. Although totally fictitious as far as it never actually happened, it is certainly close enough for our sim flying. Various models and variants of the Westland Lynx was exported around the world and to many navies, but, the USCG was not one of them. I do hear the Norwegian CG did fly a Lynx but, I haven't dug deep enough to find any photos.