Lynx MK7 now available

• Rodeo,

I am working on a U.S. Navy version that is very similar to the grey one above. Once we have a few of these Lynx's repaints from the "other worlds" it will be easy to adapt them for our personal pleasure. I am working on getting a clean copy of the paint kit as a starter.

• A little off the OP topic, but, some interesting reading for rotorheads on this side of the big pond. Or those that may be bed ridden with the flu. :P

http://www.justhelicopters.com/ArticlesNews/C…g-Vertical.aspx

• My latest attempt at start-up. Some one may find it helpful.

External Content www.youtube.com
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

• Rodeo,

I am working on a U.S. Navy version that is very similar to the grey one above. Once we have a few of these Lynx's repaints from the "other worlds" it will be easy to adapt them for our personal pleasure. I am working on getting a clean copy of the paint kit as a starter.

Would be very interested if you share a clean paint kit for the future. :)

• Can you please increase the ground friction a bit. It turns way to easy while on ground.

Thanks

X-Plane 12.x | DCS 2.5.7 | War Thunder | Aerofly FS4

Win11-x64 | Lenovo Legion T7 34LMZ5 | Intel i7-10700K @3.6GHz | Kingston FuryX RGB 32GB DDR4 PC3733 | 6TB SSD Samsung 850 Pro | 3TB M2 PCI 4x | Gigabyte RTX 3070 Ti Vision OC | TM Hotas Warthog | Saitek Combat Pedals | Reverb G2 V2 | Lenovo Legion Y25g-30 360hz

• As Ray seems intent on repainting most of the Lynx I have just uploaded the main and tail rotor paintkits, guess he wants some red and white blades to go with his red and white Lynx....colour coded eh :)

Martin..No such things as ground friction, would be great to have a dynamics entry that I could just put a figure into but there isn't. Only thing I can adjust is the tail offset to stop it turning around on the ground, ie adding a bit of tail rotor pedal, also relates to the hover which is why the Lynx pretty much stays straight as you add power. Perhaps this will be come more or less of an issue with a wheeled helicopter, time will tell

Steve

• As Ray seems intent on repainting most of the Lynx I have just uploaded the main and tail rotor paintkits, guess he wants some red and white blades to go with his red and white Lynx....colour coded eh :)

Martin..No such things as ground friction, would be great to have a dynamics entry that I could just put a figure into but there isn't. Only thing I can adjust is the tail offset to stop it turning around on the ground, ie adding a bit of tail rotor pedal, also relates to the hover which is why the Lynx pretty much stays straight as you add power. Perhaps this will be come more or less of an issue with a wheeled helicopter, time will tell

Steve

The real skill of a real life helicopter pilot is the anticipation of secondary effects so I have applied that to the lynx and I make sure I anticipate the rotor brake coming off with a little bit of pedal. I can't emphasise enough that this Lynx needs a good set of hardware in terms of anti torque pedals.

Steve did warn us it was too real!:P

• Jedtcat

Thanks for the video, a few comments, explanations and err sorry corrections

Rotors turning on load, FS2 doesn't allow engines shutdown loading so I immediately shut everything off on load to achieve this, yes I cheat.

Pilot mode switch is to the right of the MASS knob and above the 3 MI indicators, It selects the navigation mode, co-pilot also has one on the left side of his Main Panel

MASS switch.. Master Arm Safety Switch.. Used with the TOW missile system

ACC Drive/Main Drive switch. You could just move the ECL forward so you can see the switch and then move the ECL back. Talking ECL, the ground idle position is quite close to the off position, should be a slight detent noticed, could do with being stronger but I do not know how to adjust that. Ground idle should be around 62%, not much more

Rotor turning, That's a FS2 problem, I'm pushing the simulator to do things it doesn't like doing to achieve an accurate Lynx start sequence. Plus I noticed your ECL was too far forward, see above. Your No2 is reading 75%, This means the free turbine wants to spin and is being held by the rotor brake, this is putting quite a strain on the system, both sim and a real life Lynx, in fact 75% is above the rotor brake limit of 69%

Position/Demand on AFCS display box, this shows the position of the demanded verses the actually control position. You could apply lots of trim (demanded) but until the system is powered the position will be different. The Lynx does not have manual reversion, without hydraulic power the control sticks do nothing but if for example maintenance had been running the system and shut it down with full deflection you as a pilot would have no warning until you started the rotors, hence the need to check when Hydraulic power becomes available. Also, this check is essential when doing a main drive start

Trim wheels, this is checked via needles on the AFCS demand, AFCS display box.

AFCS lights, they are lighting, its the sunlight that's showing them as dimmed

IFF is used for transponder so we can use the Radar Contact add on

TANS, Tactical Air Navigation System, not used as yet..far to complicated for me to program

Drift gauge. This is underneath the trim switch. Shows fore and aft speed plus lateral drift

Things start to get screwy when you select main because your doing it wrong. the No1 ECL needs to be at ground Idle, this reduces the load on the No1 actuated freewheel. FS2 doesn't have one of these so I made my own but it functions as it should, hence the check, No2 forward, No1 back and a positive NF split, this is to protect the No1 freewheel. FS2 is a bit laggy with the split and does need the ECL to be a ground idle, close to off

ECL and SSL lever movement, just click on it and drag sideways

Matching the torque, or rotors as you say (21.19) this is to ensure both engines are matched so they share the load and its the torque gauge you need to look at not the triple gauge (NR and both engine NF), these are matched via the knob on the end of the SSL. We do it all the time in a real one. FS2 does a very good job at keeping them together, that's a computer for you

As I said, its an accurate representation ;)

Thanks again

Steve

• Hey Gang, I think Larry is on the road to recovery based on the length of his posts above. I am slowly catching on to some of the finer details of repainting a heli. Larry added an expansion to the basic paintkit with the rotors page. Nice. Thanks Larry.

Here is a very basic U.S. Navy version that I am working on. I have to hunt and peck to isolate those bright white parts and pieces, but, I find one or two every now and then.

It is good enough to fly now and I bet the neighbors wont even notice that it is a repurposed Westland Lynx7. My neighbors think everything is either a Piper Cub, a Huey, or an airliner. It's OK, they make good cookies around Christmastime.

• Ray, to track your white areas have a look at the UV map for the fuselage, etc as they are all on there. Try colouring the area you suspect a vibrant colour, fluorescent pink or green, help to identify stuff as the background is white already

Still feel like something the cat dragged in

steve

• Larrylynx,

Thanks for your comments and corrections, very helpful for all. I suspected that some of it had to do with computer programing, and the rest was lack of understanding everything fully. Just wanted others to see how it works for a average simmer.

Thanks for the Lynx,

Joel

P.S. You watched that whole video?!!8)

• I'm up and running using the dirty slacker's method of engine start, and having fun flying the Lynx around. The thing I'm struggling with most is starting the No.2 engine, the lever nearest to the pilot, in VR. It takes me ages to get the sim to connect to the starter button, I'm pressing with the VR controller and the mouse, but it just doesn't seem to lock on to the hotspot. I'm finding that if I move my viewpoint back and into the middle a bit, I can see, reach and operate most of the switches with the mouse (VR pointer is not very effective and often flicks the switch the wrong way). The left hand starter button clicks ok, but the right side is closer to my eyepoint and is harder to lock onto. How are you guys doing this in VR? has anyone found a reliable technique to click the buttons or is it something I'm doing wrong? I'm guessing it's more of an FS2 issue than a Lynx one.

Also, at one point I thought I'd try something, so I got up a bit of speed and height, dropped the collective and rolled it at the same time (logic being that if the pitch was up it would suck me to the ground when I was upside down), and it performed a 360 roll perfectly well. Can a Lynx do this in theory? I've heard they are agile machines, but it's pretty cool if it can.

Anyway, I've not had that long to fly it (work gets in the way) but it's a great addition to the sim, thanks once again for your efforts Steve, it's an extremely impressive achievement given the resources available to you..

i5-12600K/MSI RTX 3080/Win11/64Gb RAM/Asus Xonar DX+ Beyer DT990 pro headphones/LG 34" UM65 @2560x1080/Quest Pro/TM Warthog+VKB MkIV Rudder pedals