FS2 "outsourceable" on external drive?

• Hi,

the hard disk on my mac is quite packed and I am thinking moving something of the internal hard disk. FS2 would create a lot of space;-)

Does anyone have any experience with that, e.g. regarding:

- how to?

- performance issues?

- what to do with addon's

Cheers & stay healthy

• Clipper747pa June 7, 2020 at 5:52 PM

Changed the title of the thread from “FS2 "outsourced" on external driver” to “FS2 "outsourceable" on external drive?”.
  • Hi Clipper,

I do this with FSX and Megascenery. I think I got the setup information from the Steam forums on how to change storage paths etc. Performance wise it is slower to load but once done it is fine. With AFS2 it should be quicker. I have a couple of external drives so it is sometimes hard for me to remember what is on which drive. Most add ons let you nominate the installation path too.

I do have some AFS2 3rd party planes and scenery on my external F drive and there is no noticeable performance hit. My core program is on my main C drive though.

Edited once, last by AOB (June 8, 2020 at 3:02 AM).

• Hi Clipper,

I also have a Mac and would like to outsource files.

At the moment I fail at one simple point: how do I specify an external drive on a Mac? I know this for Windows, I use the drive letter (e.g. "E:/"), but on a Mac?

Tschüss, Michael (III)

Tschüss, Michael (🍎🚁)

Configurations:

- MacBook Pro (16", 2021); Chip: Apple M1 Max; actual macOS || Thrustmaster TCA AIRBUS EDITION: 1x Sidestick, 2x Quadrant, 2x Quadrant Add-On || Pro-Flight-Trainer PUMA X

- iPad (12,9", 4th Generation, RAM: 6 GB); actual iOS || nimbus steelseries

• Hi ApfelFlieger,

Actually, I just moved the Aerofly FS2.app to my external hard disk. Thats it.

The program started just fine!

So it is basically pure "drag and drop"

The only issue I currently have is:

AFS2 does not recognise my addons's anymore, which I moved as well. There is no way to describe a path?...or am I missing something?

Tschüss, Wolfgang

• Moin Wolfgang,

moving the whole app is of course also a possibility. However, I would like to be able to fly without an external hard drive.

You can set the path in the main.mcf, see:

Tschüss, Michael (III)

Tschüss, Michael (🍎🚁)

Configurations:

- MacBook Pro (16", 2021); Chip: Apple M1 Max; actual macOS || Thrustmaster TCA AIRBUS EDITION: 1x Sidestick, 2x Quadrant, 2x Quadrant Add-On || Pro-Flight-Trainer PUMA X

• vielen Dank, aber wie und wo findet man denn auf nem MAC diese Datei?!?! ;)

sorry für die blöde Frage,

Die Frage ist nicht blöd, woher soll man es auch wissen? :)

——

It's not a stupid question, how would you know? :)

Macintosh HD/Users/[username]/Library/Containers/com.aerofly.aerofly-fs-2-mac/Data/Library/Application Support/Aerofly FS 2/main.mcf

Tschüss, Michael (🍎🚁)

Configurations: