Headset and VR of Google

• After joining the Forum that I had not participated in for about 8 months, I found advertising to download VR from Google.

I asked the Forum if I could play (fly) on that VR, and the very short answer was: yes, but only with a Rift headset or another equivalent. Naturally, the response has been so brief, that I continue with the same doubts. What are the same doubts? These:

Is it possible to fly anywhere on the planet with a VR headset? .

To fly over Google's VR, it would have to be previously downloaded to the PC. certain regions you want to fly over, but that would take up a huge amount of hard drive. If not, how can you fly over that area of the planet? Please, if someone wants to spend a few minutes writing, please describe it to me.

Can I fly with any FS 2 aircraft, in the cockpit, from abroad, etc?

From inside or outside the plane, does the outdoor scenery look like Google VR correctly?

In advance, thanks to those who take this trouble.

Kind regards: Delfin

• I'm not sure if I understand your question correctly, but if you're asking if you can use a VR headset to fly an FS2 airplane in Google Earth VR, that's a big no.

In Google VR you can "fly" but it's more like moving around like Superman. There is no plane. But yes, you can "fly" anywhere on the planet and the app won't fill up your hard drive.

In FS2 you can use all the planes inside and outside the cockpit, just like on a flat screen

• To fly over Google's VR, it would have to be previously downloaded to the PC. certain regions you want to fly over, but that would take up a huge amount of hard drive. If not, how can you fly over that area of the planet? Please, if someone wants to spend a few minutes writing, please describe it to me.

You have to have scenery loaded for the areas you want to fly over. FS2 comes with default scenery for the SW USA, and also has free downloadable scenery for Utah and Colorado, which I recommend. The rest of the world is covered by a low resolution elevation grid and textures, which is not nice to fly over. There are payware scenery downloads for Switzerland, The Netherlands, NE USA, SE Florida and probably other areas, as well as payware airports which generally have more detail and animations than most of the default FS2 airports (although some of the default airports, like Monument Valley, are pretty good). There are also scenery downloads developed by the Aerofly community for free, such as the really excellent Kauai (one of the Hawaiian islands) that was released to the public today.

Most of the downloadable scenery, including the free Hawaii scenery, is way better than Google Earth. However, it is not intended to be 100% accurate. Key landmarks are modeled in detail, but if you want to fly over your own house, it may not look the same in FS2 as it does in real life. FS2 is a flight simulator, and the scenery adds realism and immersion, but it is not intended as a replacement for Google Earth. I could fly from say Hawaii to Monterey, but after I left the Hawaii scenery area, the scenery would be featureless until I arrived in the Monterey area. That would be a very boring flight! However, I do enjoy cross-country over areas with decent scenery, such as from Monterey to Palm Springs.

I currently have the following loaded: default SW USA scenery, SW USA texture pack, Utah, Colorado, Switzerland and Hawaii. I also have the following Orbx add-on airports: Innsbruck, Eagle County, Monterey and Palm Springs. The total installed size is about 145 GB.

Edited 5 times, last by aroos (June 27, 2020 at 6:26 PM).

• I'm not sure if I understand your question correctly, but if you're asking if you can use a VR headset to fly an FS2 airplane in Google Earth VR, that's a big no.

In Google VR you can "fly" but it's more like moving around like Superman. There is no plane. But yes, you can "fly" anywhere on the planet and the app won't fill up your hard drive.

In FS2 you can use all the planes inside and outside the cockpit, just like on a flat screen

Thanks Thuster; Yes, about flying as a superman, I suppose you mean flying in Google's own simulator (without plane), with 3 digital instruments that indicate: altitude, speed and heading. Yes, I have known that ... simulator for years and I fly frequently with it.

My questions were simplifying: To fly on the Google VR scene, is it necessary to download the area you want to fly? Aroos has already answered me.

Also, if after downloading the area you want to fly in VR, it can be seen on a flat screen with the same quality or resolution that I see flying with the Google simulator ?. Of course, I suppose that VR can also be seen, with any existing headset on the market.

Thanks for your clarifications, Thuster

Kind reagards: Delfin

• To fly on the Google VR scene, is it necessary to download the area you want to fly?

You have to download the Google VR app from Steam or Oculus store and then you are good to go. I would guess its about 2-3 Gb

Also, if after downloading the area you want to fly in VR, it can be seen on a flat screen with the same quality or resolution that I see flying with the Google simulator ?. Of course, I suppose that VR can also be seen, with any existing headset on the market.

When you are using Google VR what you see is shown in a small window on your pc screen, so I guess its not the same quality. But I really don't know. Not using the pc screen very much when I'm in VR ;)

I would be very surprised if Google VR can't be used with every existing headset. Maybe not PSVR, but I think that works too

I hope this will answer your questions

Regards

Ronny

• I currently have the following loaded: default SW USA scenery, SW USA texture pack, Utah, Colorado, Switzerland and Hawaii. I also have the following Orbx add-on airports: Innsbruck, Eagle County, Monterey and Palm Springs. The total installed size is about 145 GB.

Hola Aroos:

You have extended in your answer, I thank you very much, and ... you have extended being precise in your answers, but basically you describe to me what you have installed on your PC. All of this corresponds to FS 2, some other payware DLC, but no Google VR.

I have downloaded everything concerning FS 2, by default and other paid DLCs, that occupies me on the hard disk = 158.97 GB.

You say you have downloaded approximately 145 GB. Included are some Googlee VR downloads in that 145GB size. on your pc? .

I deduce from your words that everything you describe to me in your last paragraph belongs to Aeorfly FS 2, and in all those areas and airports, nothing belongs to Google's VR. Right?.

Excluding the surrounding areas of airports, cities very close to airports (such as Chicago, San Francisco, etc.), in my opinion, nothing can currently match in detail and resolution, shades of variety of colors, to Google VR. And that continues to be one of my questions:

1º) .- If I want to fly over Google VR, previously I have to download the area on which I want to fly. Right?. Of course, I suppose those downloads will take up quite a bit of size on the hard drive, depending of course on the extent of the downloaded area. Do you have your VR downloaded on your PC?

2º) .- How do you select the area you want to download? Do you know the procedure?

3º) .- Once downloaded, I suppose I can fly it both on a flat screen with a headset. Is my guess correct?

For all your effort in this writing, thank you very much.

• Wait... Are you asking if you can download Google VR and put it into Aerofly FS2?

If so; no that is not possible

But it would be really cool :)

• Hello Ronny and Andrew

You left me very surprised with the final answers.

If I download the "Google VR areas", but I cannot fly over them with Aerofly FS 2 planes, I wonder: So what is the purpose of that download?

To fly over those scenarios in flat screen VR, I already have Google's own simulator.

I think there is something here that escapes me, that I have not yet fully understood. Try

clarify it for me, please.

Regards: Delfin

• Thank you very much Ronny, for your interest in clarifying this topic. I really appreciate it deeply.

I will explain, and now you will understand:

Imagine that I want to download an area of 1,000 Km ^ 2 of "Google VR = (Google maps)" with my city in the center of that area. Once that surface or area is downloaded to my hard drive, I want to fly over it. It is on my hard drive, with a good resolution, therefore, I will see more detail, with greater result this whole scenario of 1,000 km ^ 2. ? Is it correct up to here ?.

Now come my doubts:

1) .- I can fly over that surface that I call "Gogle VR" on a flat screen (without headset).

Generally, is the scenario far better (higher resolution) than any other non-Google earth scenario?

2) .- I suppose I can fly over that surface (stage) really seeing in VR (that is, with that formidable and fantastic immersion, which is known as Virtual Reality). Of course, this feeling can only be achieved using headphones.

And do me this other favor: You said that when you fly in VR, you don't pay attention to the flat screen vision, which is very logical. This is the favor I ask of you: Look once on a flat screen and tell me if the downloaded stage from Google VR looks better than another stage, NOT VR from Google earth.

Let's see if I can finally understand this matter precisely

I repeat: I am very grateful for your effort to clarify this issue for me.

• Ok. I think I need to point out that you can't just download an area from Google and fly over it. You need to make a scenery using the tools available in this forum.

I've tried doing this and it's a lot of work and I couldn't make it work properly ?(

So if you make a scenery or download one made by others you can of course fly over it in VR or flat screen. If you use VR the image on your PC screen will be double, showing one image for each eye. You can turn this of and just show a single image but that's not recommended due to performance issues

• Delphin, please see this video to get an impression of Google Earth VR.

External Content www.youtube.com
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

The resolution is similar to the regular Google Earth.

Not every part of the earth can be viewed with 3D buildings.

Both have NOTHING to do with flight simulation or AFS2.

Cheers, Thomas

Edited once, last by TomSimMuc (June 28, 2020 at 8:32 PM).

• Thanks Ronny and Thomas.

This issue has finally become clear. The youtube video, I already knew it a long time ago, but I thought it was already

It could fly over Google earth, with certain limitations. I see we will have to keep waiting a little longer.

Once again, thank you very much for your insistence on solving my doubts.

Kind regads: Delfin