Tomahawk, 152 or Arrow?

• Official Post

I think it depends what you want to do with them. Are you looking to study them or just enjoy flying around.

I like the Arrows a lot. You get two aircraft, one with a t-tail and one with a regular one. But I'm very biased because I helped with the Arrow development more than I did with the Tomahawk or Cessna. They all should also work well in VR, it could be that an occasional switch or lever is not easy to grab with VR hands but you won't notice any performance difference.

Regards,

Jan

• The Tomahawk is a Beginners airplane, as is the Cessna 152. I actually prefer the C152 for real world flying, but, the Tomahawk is the better overall performer in the flight sim. Excellent view in VR, easier to look up and around, much easier knobs and instrument viewing, and more realistic performance and sounds.

I am also biased, as Jan mentioned, I beta tested all three of your choices. Overall value, the Arrow package, hands down. Easiest to fly in VR, the Tomahawk.

Strictly personal observations and suggestions. You can’t make a bad choice, all will be fun in the sim.

• I’d choose the PA28 Arrow, you get more and they’re excellent quality.

I tend to think the Tomahawk or C152 are especially interesting if you fly one for real and want to feel home. Otherwise they’re not necessarily the funniest to fly.

I must admit I’m not fond of Cessnas IRL and the only C152 I’ve seated in was probably the worst of them all. There have been airframes made of corrugated sheets, but what about bumpy, dented sheet structure?

Seating at the controls made me feel like the worst of the 1950’s in terms of confort and natural position. Once airborne, you have to apply a large deviation on the yoke and wait for something to happen... but if you’re a little bit high on the slope you just cut throttle and fall like a stone thanks to the agricultural aerodynamics.

The PA28 if very “American-style” aircraft, not very agile and reactive either, but once seated at the controls (I hate that right door-only entry) you’re comfy, the aircraft is easy to setup and trim for a smooth ride, a very good travel machine, you feel like driving a truck...

Cheers

Antoine

Config : i7 6900K - 20MB currently set at 3.20GHz, Cooling Noctua NH-U14S, Motherboard ASUS Rampage V Extreme U3.1, RAM HyperX Savage Black Edition 16GB DDR4 3000 MHz, Graphic Card Gigabyte GeForce GTX 1080 8GB, Power supply Corsair RM Series 850W, Windows 10 64 bit.

• The Arrow is my favourite FS2 aircraft. It's beautifully modeled inside and out, flies well, is faster than the others, the systems are well simulated and it has very few bugs. The GNS 430 and autopilot are great for touring, too (not sure whether the other aircraft have these). Although it's a slightly more complex aircraft than the 152 or Tomahawk, if you leave the prop at max RPM and the gear down, you basically have a Cherokee to learn on, but with room to grow. No contest, in my opinion.

Edited once, last by aroos (June 26, 2020 at 6:13 PM).

• Also considering Lukla...

One thing to consider when buying airports is the quality of the scenery outside the immediate area since in most cases, 5 minutes flying will get you out of the mini-region surrounding the airport. I find that flying from a detailed airport and its immediate surrounds into low quality surrounding areas spoils the immersion. For this reason, I prefer flying cross country from one of the Orbx SW or central USA airports since the en-route scenery in these areas is convincing with the free SW USA texture pack, Utah and Colorado DLCs. I have reviewed several of these on Steam.

• One thing to consider when buying airports is the quality of the scenery outside the immediate area since in most cases, 5 minutes flying will get you out of the mini-region surrounding the airport. I find that flying from a detailed airport and its immediate surrounds into low quality surrounding areas spoils the immersion. For this reason, I prefer flying cross country from one of the Orbx SW or central USA airports since the en-route scenery in these areas is convincing with the free SW USA texture pack, Utah and Colorado DLCs. I have reviewed several of these on Steam.

Hi aroos ,

then the new project should be just right for you:

Bye, Michael (III)

Tschüss, Michael (🍎🚁)

Configurations:

- MacBook Pro (16", 2021); Chip: Apple M1 Max; actual macOS || Thrustmaster TCA AIRBUS EDITION: 1x Sidestick, 2x Quadrant, 2x Quadrant Add-On || Pro-Flight-Trainer PUMA X

- iPad (12,9", 4th Generation, RAM: 6 GB); actual iOS || nimbus steelseries

• They could add the piper P28 to the mobile platform .. I would love to fly that magnificent plane .. At the moment I don't have a pc to play the pc version ... It doesn't matter if you need to pay, I gladly pay for that wonderful plane ... I dream of flying the piper P28 on mobile platform greetings

• They could add the piper P28 to the mobile platform .. I would love to fly that magnificent plane .. At the moment I don't have a pc to play the pc version ... It doesn't matter if you need to pay, I gladly pay for that wonderful plane ... I dream of flying the piper P28 on mobile platform greetings

You have to go to the just flight forum to make that happen

• remember to fix the glide ratio on all those models please!! They all fall steeper than on a the real aircraft.

greetings

Mario

That question (and other questions in this thread) would be one to ask Just Flight......IPACS does not make these plane models.

https://community.justflight.com/

Regards,

Peter Splinter

i5-7400@3,4 GHz, 16GB RAM, GTX 1660 Super, Pico 4, Quest 2 , 'Vintage' Pro Flight Trainer, X52 Pro, VKB pedals

• remember to fix the glide ratio on all those models please!! They all fall steeper than on a the real aircraft.

Hi,

I can only talk about the Arrow, as I'm the developer. With all others I don't have anything to do.

I have a lot of hours on different Pa28's and we owned a Turbo Arrow IV for many years. IMHO the glide ratio is already pretty close to the real thing.

The aerodynamics in Aerofly are a very complex thing. There is no value what would adust the glide ratio. It's basically the result of everything what is involved how the plane flies (airfoil, geometry, masses, angels, etc.).

So, if I would change now something to increase the glide ration (for example at the airfoil), I would break something else. Or better said, it would fly differently. And that I don't want, as I believe the Arrow flies pretty well and comes close to the real one.

Kai

• I understand that there is not a glide ratio parameter, as you say if you change something it affects another thing. However what I am telling is valid for the most of GA aircraft in AF2, it is a AF2 issue. Try to make a gear down power off 180 landing, if you check videos in youtube, they take around 1 minute (a little more) since idle power (around 900 ft AFE) until touch down (even using flaps!!) in AFS2 turbo arrow III you are on the ground around the 40 sec (flaps up sea level) that´s too much difference.

Mario