Flight Dynamics F/A-18

• Hi there folks!

I don't know, if there's a thread on this topic yet. I couldn't find anything.

I used to fly the F/A-18 on the first Aerofly FS. It's flight dynamics were very nice and well capable of doing tight loopings.

Now in this Aerofly FS2 the steering of the F/A-18 feels really restricted. It's quite impossible to do sharp turns and to do negativ loops in a tight way.

I am wondering now, if I'm doing anything wrong, or if anyone experiences similar issues?

I checked the range of my Joystick (Logitech Extreme 3D). Everything seems okay, as it's showing the full range in the steering settings.

Also, I read in the tutorial that a system called "fly by wire" is simulated on the F/A-18, which should stabilize the plane during a flight. This could be a possible reason in my opinion. Maybe there is a way to turn this feature off?

It would be great, if someone could assist in this matter.

Thank you.

Greetings from Switzerland

• Hallo Leute!

Ich weiss nicht, ob es schon einen Forum-Beitrag zu diesem Thema gibt. Ich konnte noch nichts entsprechendes finden.

Ich habe bis anhin den Aerofly FS benutzt und den F/A-18 ganz viel geflogen. Die Flugdynamik war wirklich sehr direkt und sehr geeignet für enge Loopings (in beide Richtungen).

Nun im Aerofly FS2 wirkt die Steuerung des F/A-18 sehr eingeschränkt. Ich bekomme keine engen Loopings mehr hin. Vor allem die Negativ-Loopings haben einen riesigen Wendekreis.

Ich frage mich einfach, ob ich da etwas falsch mache, oder ob das andere auch so erleben.

Ich habe auch die Funktionalität meines Joysticks (Logitech Extreme 3D) überprüft. Dieser scheint in Ordnung, da in den Kontroller-Einstellungen die vollen Ausschläge genutzt werden.

In einem Tutorial habe ich von der Simulation des "Fly by Wire" gelesen. Dieses System soll mehr Stabilität im Flug bringen. Doch habe ich das Gefühl, dass genau dieses System die Wendigkeit des Flugzeugs beeinträchtigt. Vielleicht gibt es einen Weg, dieses System auszuschalten?

Ich hoffe, dass mir jemand helfen kann.

Vielen Dank.

Grüsse aus der Schweiz!

• Official Post

The F18 has a g-limiter now, like in the real world. It allows you to fly +7.5 and -3.0 gs. In the old Aerofly FS 1 you could easily pull 30gs if you wanted to. That was not realistic at all, so the new F18 behavior is much more realistic. There is no setting to turn it off. In the real aircraft you can override the g-limiter to some degree but you run the risk of loosing the airframe.

Regards,

Jan

• Also - for tight maneuvering - make sure you reduce your speed. If you go balls-to-the-walls with this thing and go supersonic, the turning radius gets really big! Try to keep the speed between 200-300 knots and you'll find that you can throw it around the sky with tight turns and maneuvers. The G-limiterdoes - as Jan just said - make it a lot more realistic.

Flying A330 as a day-job and enjoy VR-flying with PIMAX 5k+. NextLevelRacing v.3 Motion platform, Watercooled and overclocked i9-9900k, 32Gb 3600RAM, Samsung 970EVO Pro 2Tb m.2, nVidia RTX-2080Ti FE, Thrustmaster HOTAS, VKB pedals, Cockpitforyou motorised throttle quadrant, Precision Flight Controls Jetliner column